The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Fritch sterling silver belt buckle with rando strap
    [​IMG]
    Gold plated Bulova Accutron
    [​IMG]

2. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

When you see enough Denims, you can see selvedge from the outside. i'm not joking. the way the seam comes together is just different, as is the fade pattern. you can also see whether jeans are selvedge or not from the inside up around the waist line when you check the size/made in... tags.

3. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

I'm sorry, but what exactly are train tracks?

Also, I'd be very surprised to find any really super worn or old looking jeans in a Value Village here. They rag out anything that isn't up to standards, so God alone knows how much rare old denim they've send to 3rd world countries or just sold to recyclers. The stores near me are chock-a-block full of usually 1 or even 2 full racks of denim, but I have "the eye" - if you'll forgive the expression. I walk down aisles and 'talk' to the clothes. Sometimes something talks back and says, 'look at me, I'm special'. I think I can learn to identify special denims if I take some time looking. Thank you. :)

4. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Stuff:

'80s Ainge Tanktop

[​IMG]

'60s-ish curling knit

[​IMG]

'60s Eaton's wingtips. These aren't Dack's or Hartt, but they are tanks.

[​IMG]

Vintage PRL

[​IMG]

3-Piece truly bespoke tweed with a nice stripe effect

[​IMG]

'60s Viyella blackwatch. Canvassed, vented.

[​IMG]

Vintage Banana Republic bomber for me

[​IMG]

'80s Loake brogues

[​IMG]

Leather flight jacket

[​IMG]

Church's Fighting Seal slip-ons

[​IMG]

DAKS 100% Cashmere SC

[​IMG]

1975 H. Freeman canvassed plaid. This fits, but I hate the lapels. 40R.

[​IMG]

5. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

THAT'S THE ONE I DO! I never knew what it was called. This is similar to a half windsor. But, this is definitely the one I do. See how you wrap it around both sides. Thank you, now I know the name. No wonder I couldn't match the video for the half windsor, the full windsor, or the 4 in hand.

6. Letric

Letric Senior member

Posting these pics of my Big E's from awhile back... THESE are what really old, worn Levi's look like. I believe I dated these between 1966 - 1969. The golden years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You just can't really reproduce character wear like this. The "roping" on the original chain-stitched hems is gorgeous. Dat Lemon Yellow thread. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

THESE are train tracks. While these may not be the most severe or highly contrasted, these are what caught my eye. Also, take note of the character of the denim. That's the texture and appearance that so many people are trying to re-create or improve upon these days.

[​IMG]

Pretty dirty, faded, thrashed. Awesome.

[​IMG]

I've kept these tags on like trophies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the type of really old patch that you want to keep an eye out for. Earlier ones are real leather though.

[​IMG]

Doze wallet fadez.

7. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Nice work @Letric [​IMG]

8. Nobleprofessor

OT Car Talk:

A NEW car? Or a new to you car. Don't buy a NEW car. Biggest money mistake most people make. Even if you want a pretty new car or you want a warranty, or whatever the reason, you can buy a 1 year old car for THOUSANDS less. Hell, you can buy the current model year that has been driven only 5,000 miles and save thousands.

9. Nobleprofessor

Century 21? You mean like this?

[​IMG]

10. Nobleprofessor

I"m not Spoo, but the horsebit hardware looks exactly like the Gucci loafers I have.

11. Takai

Takai Senior member

@Letric Those are still an amazing find. And the size is perfect.

God what I would do for some Big E selvedge 505s from that era. It's funny that I could go grab some '67 LVC 505s for like 100-125$? But there is just that je ne sais pas about having the original article. The history that piece lived. It's why I love repairing old jeans, and giving them new life. You can reproduce stitch for stitch replicas these days of any of them, but it's just not the same.

12. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior member

13. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Letric,
    Thanks for posting the Big Es and talking tracks and roping. Denim talk never bores!

14. Letric

Letric Senior member

Really? The main reason I haven't actually sold / traded those yet is the size. They're not that small in the waist, but the inseam is somewhat short. I'm not sure how many people / buyers would be into them for actual wearing, or just collecting. The condition is another thing... The pocket bags are semi-blown out, but could be repaired.

It would be nice to get these some TLC and actual wearing... I also think about the history of jeans a lot. I mean... 1966 - 1969. Those were some crazy times I imagine, and a really transitional period for the World, but also the United States. I think about who actually wore these... Maybe some teenager growing up in the 60's, then maybe they were tossed and re-discovered somewhere... or passed down to their kids. I try to imagine what those stains and wear were from... Changing the oil on a Pontiac Firebird? Mowing the lawn all those summers? If jeans could talk, these would have some stories, man.

15. Takai

Takai Senior member

Short inseam you say?... Erm...Pm incoming.