1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Takai

Takai Senior Member

+1 Late 60s early 70s based on zip style, and cut of the jacket.

2. Chotii

Chotii Senior Member

Are there any tag remnants anywhere? I'm afraid my experience with vintage wool blankets is that they were widely made both in the US and elsewhere. No tag? Not easy to identify a manufacturer that's been gone for maybe decades. They tended to be heavy, shaggy to hold in warmth, and ubiquitous, because EVERYBODY got cold and NOBODY had a furnace to heat the whole house until really quite recently. Even if you find a tag, there may be little enough on the web to learn. If there is any wool felt on the raw-edge ends, that would help narrow it down.

3. Letric

Letric Distinguished Member

No tags, no makers marks, no symbols. No felt edging. I don't really feel like these were made in any factory or on professional machines.

4. Chotii

Chotii Senior Member

I wish I could examine the blue blanket more closely, but because I'm curious and I love woolen things, and not because I actually am any sort of expert. I've been able to identify a few vintage blankets I've found by way of tattered remnants of tags, but not without any at all. The red and black one seems like it might be intended as a rug?

5. Jompso

Jompso Distinguished Member

Been out the game a few weeks. Moving into the office then got real sick, today was my first day out in a while so I made a couple stops.

Some decent ties. The Pink is NWOT made in England by Charles Hill and the Kenzo Homme is crazy iridescent.
    [​IMG]
    John Varvatos Chukka boots made in Italy w/ nailed heels, Broken Homme Boots w/ Vibram sole (These are pretty nice)...(and they're on a plastic bag you can't see).
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wild Coast shirt. Skeet.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Lanvin Cashmere long sleeve polo.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Brioni Super 150s slacks
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A surprisingly nice Hugo Boss peacoat

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Piatelli suit w/ Reda Super 130s wool
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dries Van Noten suit
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Older Ermenegildo Zegna High Performance suit
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Newer Ermenegildo Zegna navy blue pinstripe suit
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Current Ermenegildo Zegna Charcoal pinsripe suit.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

they look homebrew. native motifs but not actual indian blankets.

re the blue one: traditional indian blankets have a selvedge (as yours does) but it's more complicated than what you show: there's often a plaited braid that is sort of "smuggled" very tightly into the woven fabric. and the end of the weaving isn't serged like yours is. the big difference is that a true native blanket is done on a navajo loom. very simple, very rustic machine, and not really cut out for this kind of pattern. this is likely done on a home loom but not an actual navajo loom. plus indian blankets aren't felted or napped.

re the red one: not a rug. looks like crochet as you say. crocheted wool wouldn't stand up to actual rug duty. i'm guessing it's a throw. these navajo/zapotec/etc designs have been used in knitting/crochet manuals for a loooong time.

i assume these are from the same donor, but could be decades apart. it always makes me wistful and sorta sad to see homebrew in thrifts.

7. vexco

vexco Distinguished Member

Dat Lanvin doe.

8. Letric

Yeah that's sorta what I figured.... Neither has the "weave" of really authentic blankets / rugs. I plan on just tossing the Bright colored one onto the back of my couch. It has a really nice appearance, and will add to the overall "look" that I'm trying to accumulate at home. The Blue one was a gamble so I actually left it at the store hoping to return for it, if it was worth anything.

Of course I like finding nice Pendleton, Faribault, etc textiles... but these home-brewed items are nice as well. First time seeing anything with that sorta "Navajo" pattern, so that was instakop for me.

9. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

yeah! i like that bright crocheted dealie too. rad on a couch.

i have a zapotec-style "tree of life" hanging sorta similar to a couple things that @330CK posted awhile back. cottage production, in all likelihood mexican, for tourists probably. but still, handmade! i think i'm gonna turn it into a duffel one of these days.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

10. Letric

Don't really want to pepper the thread with photos here and there, but thought I'd share a couple other items I picked up earlier tonight. Went out for coffee again (addicted to Dutch Bros.), and stopped by a Value Village nearby.

FINALLY scored some Stans in my size (13-14), which is rare. These are pretty dirty on the outside, but clean on the inside. Leather isn't all gouged up. Should make for a nice cleanup. I like when people just give up and donate perfectly good shoes because they're dirty.... Kids these days. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked up this nice 100% Cashmere scarf for cheap also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This brand isn't anything special. Italiany sounding name, but made in China... However the patterns they offer are quite bold and attractive to me, and the fabric is very soft and fine. I have 1 or 2 others from this brand, and can't wait to bust them out this Winter. Really quite a nice scarf for $2 or w/e I paid.

11. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Distinguished Member

This is my fu fit for our trip!
    [​IMG]
    Tori Richard thrifted
    Vintage Luxottica thrifted with prescription lenses
    Real McCoy's traded with Vader

12. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Dude, i just see a door......

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

Those meddling hip kids tho.

14. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Think of it as operating, without the pressure.

@ridethecliche we have had our differences, But as a one time Subaru WRC team mechanic, owner of 2 Subaru's, and currently rebuilding a 1999 STI Version 6 From the ground up, i am more than willing to lend you a hand. with information and tips just a PM away. you could do a lot worse for help. and i have friends who also Drive/build them. i can not only help with how to's, i can also source parts for you. writing detailed instructions on fitting them.

If you wanna bury the hatchet, and get a Subaru owning Mechanic(s) on speed dial? just holla.

it is, though be wary. i watched vids all day to find ones i would suggest to watch for RTC. and most made errors. there are good vids. am willing to send links to the better ones in the right circumstances.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015