1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. richnet12

richnet12 Distinguished Member

@Steve Kane
    I kopped that same Lilly Pulitzer beach shirt with the post cards...was very popular this summer on that place.

Good luck!

2. Koala-T

Koala-T Distinguished Member

You're already wearing tweed. What's a wool tie going to hurt?

3. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Distinguished Member

It was running when I bought it. But, over the weekend it died. I wound it and it seems to be keeping time!

A few people asked about me posting the furs I got last week. I ended up changing my mind on the seal fur coat. But, now I regret it. I wish I would have gotten it. It was pretty spendy.

Here are a few of the other finds. All women's so I spoilered it:

This is a Sheared Beaver Swing Coat. I don't know much about furs. But, my wife told me it was a swing coat. Its actually really nice. But, I have to get my tailor to do a very minor repair on the lining. Other than that its really nice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This next one is a Mouton Fur jacket. Apparently Mouton is:

"Mouton is a high-grade lambskin that’s specially processed to mimic the density and radiance of sheared beaver or mink fur. The wool fibers of a mouton pelt are straight, not curly. Sheared to an even ½ inch depth, mouton is very plush and has a soft, velvety feel. With its glowing highlights and natural sheen, high quality mouton can easily be mistaken for much more expensive type of fur."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next is a Very nice Burberry Trench/Rain Coat in Navy with the zip out wool liner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would call this a Harrington Jacket if it was mens. But, its women's. Maybe the name still applies. It is really nice with blue Burberry plaid lining.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned in for a Thread First!

Anyone ever thrifted a

WINDSHIELD?

Well, I did!

4. Takai

Takai Senior Member

It's not actually tweed, it's a lightweight herringbone wool.

@SpooPoker All good, turns out Ima have enough time to get to my storage ties

@barrelntrigger Never really been one for Knit ties actually, I only have one right now, and it's in wacky colors.

5. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Windshield! [​IMG]

usually means $$$$$$$$$$$$$

6. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Distinguished Member

The guy who mows the lawn at my office (hired by the landlord not me) was using a weedeater in front right by where my wife's SUV was parked. Apparently, he flung a rock and it shattered the back windshield. He came in to tell us and he was really honest about it. He probably could have just not said anything and I don't know if we would be able to prove where the rock came from.

My wife felt bad for the kid and since he was honest, she wanted to be nice and try to help him. He told he was two weeks away from having insurance. I checked out the prices and it was going to cost $675 (plus $50 labor) to replace this windshield. So, we tried a few different places and no one had it. This is a Cadillac SUV and not many places carry it. I had a friend who is mechanic look around and he found a few, but no one would ship it.

I don't know why I was being this nice, but I thought I might try a local pick n pull salvage yard. If you don't know what that is, they have a bunch of cars and you bring tools and remove parts you want and pay for them. They don't have a record of the cars and they don't keep an inventory of what parts were sold. So, its pure luck if they have what you want.

So, I went up and asked about her specific car and the guy told me, "We don't inventory our cars, if its out there, you can take it off." Luckily, there was a kid there who saw me in my suit and took pity on me. He said, "Hey Mister, I saw one of those just come in. Its in the second row of the truck section."

I trudged out there (the truck section is in the back and is the muckiest nastiest part of the place). BUT, there it was. The exact car I needed!

I looked it over and the windshield was there! But, I discovered that it is sealed onto the back hatch. Some of these types of cars have windshields that swing out and are just bolted onto the hatch. I decided to ask how much if I just bought the whole damn hatch?

$79. That's it. AND if I removed the glass and brought the rest of the hatch back, I got a $40 refund. So, I called the lawn mowing kid and asked him if he wanted to save $500 by doing a little work.

He went to the salvage yard and bought the whole hatch (and removed it from the car). He brought it down to my mechanic. My mechanic called a windshield guy who said he would remove it and install it on my wife's car for $125 cash. I got the kid to pay $125 for the labor and he was going to take back the hatch for the refund.

Instead of the windshield costing $725, it cost the guy about an hour's of time, and $164.

I didn't pay for it, but I'm still counting this as having thrifted a windshield since I did the work to find it and get it all arranged.

I am going to have to spend a half hour trying to clean up my Shell Cordovan shoes after walking around the place. But, while I was there I noticed an old BMW like mine that had the upgraded wheels. I need a new set of wheels so I can have a dedicated set of Snow Tires/Wheels. AND, I saw another older BMW that had wheels like mine that sell on ebay for BIG BUCKS. So, I may have found a new spot to thrift!

7. masaccio

masaccio Senior Member

+1 for the local Pick and Pull.

Couple of hours and some tools and you can save yourself lots of money on fixing little things on an older car.

8. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

some good fodder there if you know what to look for. and that was an awesome thing to do for the yard dude. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

9. thriftydood

thriftydood Senior Member

Some recent finds:

E. Braun & Co. double-breasted double-vented navy knit blazer (EU 54)
    [​IMG]
    Has some flaws, but the solid dark color+knit means they're not too obvious, so it seemed worth a shot.
    [​IMG]
    RRL white long-sleeve henley (Medium)
    [​IMG]

Faribault plaid wool throw x2--not sure what to do with these, but too nice to leave behind
    [​IMG]

1980 Lake Placid Olympics knit hat (unmarked, probably acrylic)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sperry's Topsiders made in USA canvas sneakers (9)
    [​IMG]
    The canvas fabric is a bit dirty (not sure how to clean these), but based on in- and outsoles not worn too much.
    [​IMG]
    Florsheim Imperial burgundy shell PTB (11C), quite worn, but they're shell
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cheaney light-medium brown captoe oxfords (10C)
    [​IMG]

Women's:
    Reed Krakoff black chelsea boots
    [​IMG]

10. Steve Kane

Steve Kane Senior Member

Thanks! It blew my mind when I found it. I have no idea how things like that go untouched for so long then end up in a thrift seemingly unaccompanied.

11. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Distinguished Member

Those chambrays are incredible

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

12. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Distinguished Member

[​IMG]
    Catch and release? Armpits are wrecked, lining is yellowed, missing sleeve buttons. Atleast its vintage /orphan

13. Koala-T

Koala-T Distinguished Member

14. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Distinguished Member

Sold a pinstriped Brioni orphan last night for $110.

15. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Distinguished Member