Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

Reposting this down here, because editing photos into a 4 hour old post was just silly:

Loro Piana 2-button suit jacket (or sports coat?) 130s wool for Joseph Abboud.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Dungannon hand-woven Irish tweed topcoat, vintage maybe 1960s (or earlier - I found one Google reference from 1938 sounds identical - cuffed sleeves, center vent: https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=eGkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3967,1568168&hl=en ) (might be even earlier, as Co. Down is in Northern Ireland, which split from the Republic of Ireland in 1920).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:drool: :slayer:

3. double00

double00 Senior member

^^^ 99% certain that first jacket is orphaned from a suit. and its joseph abboud. fabric by loro piana.

4. double00

double00 Senior member

this is sweet!

5. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

I believe you. I went looking for the pants, but they weren't there. :( I found several that were very similar in weave, but different brands and slightly different colors (plus not Loro Piana fabric).

6. Loosethreads

Loosethreads Active Member

@SpooPoker Thanks mate. Is there any way to categorically find out, apart from popping into my local RM Store?

7. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

Starting to unload the three suitcases of goods from my LA thriftathon and forgot I even got this. This things weights about 10 pounds and for less than a shady dinner for two. More to come soon.I did venture outside my normal thrift and did pick up some good vintage stuff. Dapper days at Disneyland was good nice see everybody out in the park dressed to the teeth. Was hot for the 10 days I was there but worth it. The dapper day expo show one booth had horsehide jackets coming out his ass they were dope. Some better than the ones I was eying in the rrl store. I always stop to make personal purchases the fall stuff this year is sweet. I did cop a new type-2 jacket and a matching jacket for my kid the kids are sweet sadly there expensive but you can't waist life debating stuff. I love rrl but sadly more stuff in the store made in china and can't justify spending the usual 2k on a jacket that's not us made so I passed on some goodies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Letric

Letric Senior member

Alright I'm starting to feel the passion a little bit more tonight... Went out to get Coffee and since there was a store right near the place, which I hadn't been to in awhile... I stopped in for a quick scan.

PERSONAL GRAIL ACHIEVED! [​IMG]

Been wanting a nice cashmere topcoat like this for awhile now. The fit isn't PERFECT, but it's certainly good enough for $20. Can have it altered a bit at my tailor if I need to.

(I don't normally snap cell phone pics, but just got a new one and been trying it out.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(goddamnit.. I just cleaned that mirror last week -_-)

[​IMG]

Thrift-ish Fit:

Norse Projects S/S 13 Tristan Overdyed LS Sweat (Super cheap E-Thrift)
    Unbranded 201's (Thrift Funded)
    Nike AF-1 Autoclaves (Traded for these at Buffalo)
    Thrifted Timex on my own home made veg-tan leather band.

[​IMG]

Lapels are wide as fuck, and have those picky stitches. Love that.

[​IMG]

Saw this and knew it had to be quality. Richard's always B stockin' that high grade.

[​IMG]

Anyone know what this "Dhalishan" means? Material is super soft and plush... Also quite thickly.

[​IMG]

And then this Union tag... I don't know anything about these. Maybe someone here knows when it was made? The pocket linings and labels are all clean and crisp as fuck. Coat has very little wear, no moth-holes... Someone took care of this thing.

[​IMG]

Oh. Guess that's who took care of it.

9. vexco

vexco Senior member

Sometimes that's all it takes.

10. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

99.9% from Spoo is equivalent to a second and third opinion.

11. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

[​IMG]

These are Awesome. [​IMG] (if you find these in any other color/size 11? hit me up. in fact any 90's Basketball shoes.)

on topic:

i think we all get burnt out. like the other Bro's have said. Diversify or die.
    What gets my juices flowing is making a mental map of where various treasures are hidden.
    @Nobleprofessor also has me researching iron teapots. amongst all of the other things that are interesting which members have asked about.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015

12. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

Cumberbitches unite!

Haha, and I think the easiest way for me to change things up when I'm getting burnt out is to just take a couple days off. The itch comes roaring back and it's game time again!

I try to diversify all I can within the clothing spectrum. But as it is with anything else, knowledge is money.

13. Letric

Letric Senior member

Yeah I've been diversifying a lot actually... I've made good scores lately in the areas of:

- Glass / Crystal. Have scored some vintage Ball Blue Mason Jars, Hand-blown cobalt blue storage jars, and some German crystal glasses.

- Electronics. Apart from my audio gear / speaker post... I've scored some great keyboards, high dollar gaming mice, shitloads of nice Monitors... Also video games and consoles. Just scored an NES last month and I was thrilled, as I now have the trilogy: NES, SNES & N64.

- Artwork. Have posted a Picasso and those castle/mansion prints... but have scored more etchings, Picasso prints, and an original watercolor since then. Nothing super nice or valuable... Good artwork is somewhat rare in these parts.

- Sporting Goods. Have scored a nice vintage split bamboo fly rod before, and just recently I picked up a complete set of Titleist DCI Gold OS+ Irons in good shape. Copped for $20, worth like $100 - 120. I've only seen Titleists once before like 2 yrs ago, and I didn't grab them [​IMG] . ALWAYS GRAB TITLEIST CLUBS FOR CHEAP!

- Rugs / Blankets / Linens. Have been lucky to find several nice Norwegian wool blankets, as well as a super Filson-esque Red / Black plaid king size wool Faribault Woolen Mills blanket. Have gotten a few nice cheap rugs, but have only scored 1 hand-woven oriental / persian rug. Would love to find some bigger hand-woven rugs for my bedroom soon.

- Signs. Have only nabbed 2 re-pop tin signs. 1 Coca Cola, 1 Bell Telephones. Interestingly, the Bell Telephones was in a frame, and when I popped the back cardboard off to check it out, there was an original hand-signed litho behind it haha. Ended up taking the tin sign out, popped the litho back into its original frame and have both now. : )

- Records. Big Brother & The Holding Company - Cheap Thrills, Joe Walsh, The Who, Lynard Skynard and a couple misc. albums that turned out to be valuable. No good Jazz though -_-. Everyone's a damn Vinyl-head now, and the good shit goes fast around these parts.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sounds like we have our first candidate for the Knowledge Box[​IMG] !

15. Letric

Letric Senior member

Thanks Buffalo!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They had this priced at $30. Traded them 3 J.crew shirts for this the other night. Paid about $6 total for those shirts. [​IMG]