1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. ChetB

ChetB Distinguished Member

+1 to all the comments about diversifying.

I've even been getting into CDs lately. Way less competition than vinyl, way more recent stuff, and gives me something to listen to while driving to the next stop.

Also blankets, ceramics, toys, cookware, furniture, globes, electronics...pretty much everything in the store. I got burned out on menswear but branching out keeps it fun and interesting. Even still, I have the occasional "I'm done with this for a while" moment. But a few days off and I'm good to go again.

I also dropped a bunch of stores from my rotation and started worrying less about being everywhere. That made it less of a slog and more enjoyable too.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

I mean, I know I'll never tire of spending countless hours I could have been working in pursuit of that one elusive POLO SPORT grail, the one the internets will tell you is actually worthless, you dumb n00b, after you've spent another hour just trying to upload the damn thing, and crap, now it's too late to call your lady-friend back, that's two days in a row, and you've somehow missed Ray Donovan again, what is happening!

But that's just me. It's just who I am. It's in my blood. :slayer:

3. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Distinguished Member

I just get horrible anxiety at the thought of someone unknowingly picking up big E selevdge to mow the yard in or. FreKin kiton cashmere to use in a high school rendition of Death of a Salesman

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

:wow: Whoa, wait, are those 80s? Pretty sweet. But I must say I don't remember them from the original timeline; like if poet Bruce Bond describes resonance as the depth charge of meaning, then the blast cap is faulty; they have no resonance; they ring no bells. The fake Guccis, one the other hand, not only ring the bell, but I believe have broken it from their massive swingings; you might say the bell lies at my feet, dirty, shattered, and far above it, still swinging its arms through the story of its silence, stands that Gucci, yelling ding! ding! ding! ding! ding! ding! through the caverns of my heart....

I mean this one:

[​IMG]

Do you know anything about it? I remember there was a $500-ish one with a big rotating gold thingie and roman numerals burnt into its metal; you could press down and twist its face, and if you were lucky, you were rewarded with a click, a little oral contract between you and the watch that all was well and the world was still right; and then there was this one, the lesser one, sold at the mall for around $200-ish. And I remember, for suburban lower- to middle-schoolers, it was the watch to have for one hot minute -- which, when you are seven, could stretch out to feel like infinity. I've been looking for that watch. That watch, as opposed to the larger, big-dick rotating-numeral one. But the longer I search, the more I seem to doubt my own memory. That looks exactly like it, though!

tl'dr: Awesome stuff. :slayer:

.​

5. rhyme

rhyme Senior Member

Minty LP Storm System Cash coat - N/A

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fall staples
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I know those Lambournes weigh like 20 lbs.

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Soo….check your mailbox in a few days :)

8. SpooPoker

speaking of diversifying, decided to spend the day at an antique/flea market. Happy with my finds. Very happy.

1934 yearbook, 1928 and 1889 magazines
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1960s pennant
    [​IMG]

$10, sure why not? This is the massive Rizzoli edition
    [​IMG]

squares
    [​IMG]

some familiar names
    [​IMG]

battaglia madder ascot
    [​IMG]

ties
    [​IMG]

my two favorites, Knize is a pop and the crochet i have never seen another like this with the triple bar, its absolutely gorgeous and from the 60s
    [​IMG]

100% N/A for this, 1904 Embalming fluid jar. shown on ties for comparison of size - its huge.
    [​IMG]

"for best results, inject arteries slowly" :uhoh:
    [​IMG]

Original stopper too - its made of stone.
    [​IMG]

interior stained red. Maybe mercury?
    [​IMG]

@PLaydice need an assist on these two - paid $20 each for them.
    first is 1973, not the coolest print but its mint and the oldest shirt I've found. no neck label but thick cotton. probably deadstock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this one is freaking awesome. Early 70s speedway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now this shit got me juiced up. not one, not two, three, or four but 5 uncut sheets of 1979 Wacky Packages stickers by topps. I see these in a modern red lacquer frame alongside some basquiat banksy and haring shizz.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dachshund for size reference
    [​IMG]

two blue balls (from 1910)
    [​IMG]

9. Bahljs

Bahljs Distinguished Member

Still available?

10. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Distinguished Member

That's the shiz right there.

I'm amazed at how many pocket squares you find. When I bought 4 off of Wes it doubled my collection.
    Those topps are super cool, I remember buying those packs at the drug store down the street.

11. Principle

Principle Senior Member

I don't know what to make of this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. vexco

vexco Distinguished Member

Dope.

13. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior Member

Release that book bruh. @SpooPoker

14. SpooPoker

You want the RL book but not the t shirts? I'm shocked.

15. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior Member

[​IMG]