The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Bro, but i really hate that they are super pricey.

2. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Simple you are burnt out.I usually take a whole month off once a year.which is easy I'm outside the country when I do.and even then i hit a few fleamarkets.
    But after that I'm itching to go.for me personally its dealing with fucking idiots and low life's ,all it takes is one cunt to ruin a day or week.not the hunt or looking part.diversify and look at art etc,looking at clothes can get tedious and boring
    You might also wanna lessen your burden.I consign everything I find.leaves me more time to thrift if I want or just step away from that side completely.sure there's a price but my sanity is worth the %.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  3. VegTan

VegTan Senior member

They are US 7 1/2 C. I think BB uses 0 instead of a dash (–).

4. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

[​IMG]

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Two words.

Wacky packages.

More later

6. vexco

vexco Senior member

nvvvvvvvm

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

This.
    Check the other shit going on in your life too. That's usually what does it for me. Sometimes it's my escape/release, as Spoo says, but when it becomes associated with having to sell what you're finding, you don't have to be Pavlov to figure out that's going to blunt the high.
    You gotta find balance. Sometimes this is part of the solution and sometimes it's part of the problem.
    And I'm the last guy anyone should be taking advice from on any of this.

8. Takai

Takai Senior member

Pretty pen, but modern Montblancs are just meh :/ They are only good as bling. You want a real conversation piece that makes peoples eyes get big?

[​IMG]
    Waterman 452 c1916 with a 14ct Wet noodle nib. Covered in Sterling. Now that is an excellent conversation starter, or at least it has been for me.

For an every day pen that you can give a little less care though

[​IMG]

The Parker Cisele in Solid sterling, Non-flexy nib, but ages beautifully.

If you're looking for fun with Montblanc, I'd honestly go with an older 2, or 3 series. 1950's Montblanc 146s, and 149s though tend to bring quite the pretty penny, especially in Red.

[​IMG]
    Montblanc 342/ "Monte Rosa" Student Pen, can usually be had for a song.

[​IMG]
    Montblanc 22, styling ques taken from this and put into Parker's 45/Flighter model.

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+1 on what the others have said. It's just a phase. I go through it a couple times a year, sometimes more. Always when things slow down. Seeing the same crap and the same faces. Gets old really fast, especially when you're not finding anything.

You are on the right track with thinking about the thriftcation. Doesn't have to be far. Just a change of scenery. This really helps me. Another, like Frenchy mentioned is to diversify. For every little niche there is a grail. Crystal, lamps, furniture, artwork, office supplies, dishes, flatware, sporting goods. Keeps things interesting and you will learn more in the process. I've recently starting looking more into flatware after selling a set I picked up for $5 for $270 with less effort than selling a sportcoat (no measurements needed).

10. winny94

winny94 Senior member

Off topic, but I'm hoping some if you jet setters can give me some advice on booking a flight.

I need to fly to Texas for the begining of November, but have never booked my own flight. I need to be there for the 2nd, but arrivals and departures are still flexible. When are the best dates to fly in/out and how far in advance gets me the best deal? What site is reccomended to book through?

Thanks for any help!

11. Takai

Takai Senior member

For reference this is the pen I carry on a daily

[​IMG]
    Sailor 1911 14c XXF nib

Loaded with a luscious brown Pilot Iroshizuku Horsetail ink

Often times I will also carry

[​IMG]
    Waterman Apostrophe 14c GP F(M) Nib

Loaded with a custom blend British Racing Green that I have created.

I usually save the fancy pens for letter writing and note writing and such.

[​IMG]

If you all are interested I can pull out my pen boxes and nap some pics later

12. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

kayak.com, among many others, would do the trick. It also has information about trending ticket prices, so it'll tell you when is a good time to buy them.

13. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Feel much better with a rollerball. Just have to remember not to leave it in my jacket when I take it to drycleaning.

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Personally I use expedia, and you can specify exact dates or a range if you're flexible. You can only get rates for Southwest on their own site, so check that too. I also use the Delta app after I've bought since that's the only airline I fly now.
    As was mentioned, kayak is good too but it gives you a LOT of options, sometimes it's overwhelming.
    Book at least 14 days in advance, 21 is better, and make sure to also reserve your specific seat if given the option. If not given the option, sometimes the airline's own site will give it after you've booked.
    After you buy, check the same flight each day and if the fare goes down, see if the place you booked it will refund the savings - some sites do this automatically, others do not.

15. Takai

Takai Senior member

Oh, I didnt realize you bought the rollerball. It's a nice fancy case for a cartridge. I have found in my 164R that Monteverde makes a nice alternative gel refill cart for most Montblanc standard pens, and in many more fun colors, for significantly less $$