• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeh if ur in JAPAN.

Lol don't be surprised to find them outside of Japan. Haven carry them. I bet frenchy prolly will find them in Canada since haven is there.

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a subject that I don't really see mentioned here often:

Has anyone grown tired, or bored of thrifting? What about clothing / style in general?... Lately I've been investing way less time and energy into thrifting / reselling / clothing in general. When I go, I just generally do a quick walk through... pickup any grails or personal cops and peace out within 15-20 mins unless there's a ton of nice ****. Getting sick of working over the same stores, seeing the same stuff, same people.

It's not like the high-end goods have dried up... I've been copping nice things, both for personal and re-selling purposes. Just kinda growing tired of the legwork and grind. Wondering if anyone has gone through this, and if it's just a "phase" that will pass... or I'm wondering If maybe I'm just done with the business. Starting to consider selling off my entire backlogged inventory wholesale.
cloud.gif

Wondering what some of you do to keep things interesting? New neighborhoods / states? Or does anyone take breaks / vacations from everything and come back refreshed?

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone grown tired, or bored of thrifting? What about clothing / style in general?... Lately I've been investing way less time and energy into thrifting / reselling / clothing in general. When I go, I just generally do a quick walk through... pickup any grails or personal cops and peace out within 15-20 mins unless there's a ton of nice ****. Getting sick of working over the same stores, seeing the same stuff, same people.

It's not like the high-end goods have dried up... I've been copping nice things, both for personal and re-selling purposes. Just kinda growing tired of the legwork and grind. Wondering if anyone has gone through this, and if it's just a "phase" that will pass... or I'm wondering If maybe I'm just done with the business. Starting to consider selling off my entire backlogged inventory wholesale.
cloud.gif

Wondering what some of you do to keep things interesting? New neighborhoods / states? Or does anyone take breaks / vacations from everything and come back refreshed?

It's a phase. I'm sure we all go through it every now and then. I know I certainly have and still do. Sometimes it's good to take a break and recharge.

If you're getting tired of going out to thrift, that's the perfect time to work through your backlog. Why bother selling it wholesale when you probably bought it to profit off of? Seems counterproductive. Use the time you would thrift to put your stuff up on ebay. Maybe the money rolling in will convince you that it's not so bad to put the leg work in :p

Doomsticks

Reaction score

It's not like the high-end goods have dried up... I've been copping nice things, both for personal and re-selling purposes. Just kinda growing tired of the legwork and grind. Wondering if anyone has gone through this, and if it's just a "phase" that will pass... or I'm wondering If maybe I'm just done with the business. Starting to consider selling off my entire backlogged inventory wholesale. :cloud:

Mhmm, I visit stores every day, and our stores here in Sweden are mostly small ones and the stuff isn't too interesting either most of the time. I pretty much know the inventory by heart in every store. My solution is going to flea markets, you don't find the same level of stuff but it's always new things and a nice atmosphere.

Seeing what you guys find is both fantastic and frustrating, one of your " fodder days" can be compared to many months/ a full year of thrifting for me.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Spoo, tell me you have a garage full of awesome motorcycles and my envy will be through the roof....

Naw, Ill probably get flamed for this but I can't stand motorcycles. They scare the **** out of me.

It's not like the high-end goods have dried up... I've been copping nice things, both for personal and re-selling purposes. Just kinda growing tired of the legwork and grind. Wondering if anyone has gone through this, and if it's just a "phase" that will pass... or I'm wondering If maybe I'm just done with the business. Starting to consider selling off my entire backlogged inventory wholesale. :cloud:

I can't recall a time where I had a lull in wanting to go hunting. This is my blood, my hobby, my career, my therapy, my passion. YMMV. I only lament the times I can't do it more. Wes and I thrifted for like 10 straight hours and I think we both could have gone another 10.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cloud.gif

Simple you are burnt out.I usually take a whole month off once a year.which is easy I'm outside the country when I do.and even then i hit a few fleamarkets.
But after that I'm itching to go.for me personally its dealing with ******* idiots and low life's ,all it takes is one **** to ruin a day or week.not the hunt or looking part.diversify and look at art etc,looking at clothes can get tedious and boring
You might also wanna lessen your burden.I consign everything I find.leaves me more time to thrift if I want or just step away from that side completely.sure there's a price but my sanity is worth the %.

Last edited:

VegTan

Reaction score

ID ideas? Or ... can anyone tell me what size this is? Suuuper small.
It says 390 C, though. What? They are VERY small. But definitely men's, right?
They are US 7 1/2 C. I think BB uses 0 instead of a dash (–).
http://www.google.com/search?q=FREN...”+is+the+key+number&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=bks FRENCH-AMERICAN SIZE SYSTEM In this system “32” is the key number and is subtracted from the first two figures in order to obtain the length. The last figure indicates the width. A dash (–) between figures indicates a half size. 40–14 subtracting 32, equals 8 1/2 D Here, as in the American system, the figure “4” indicates a “D” width, because “D” is the fourth letter in the alphabet. Remembering that “0” equals “AA” . . .1 equals “A” . . . 2 equals “B” . . . 3 equals “C” . . . 4 equals “D” . . . 5 equals “E” . . . 6 equals “EE” . . . 7 equals “EEE”, study the following sizes, and note where a dash (–) appears between the length figures and the width figures it indicates a half size. A space between the length and width figures indicates an even size. 40–00 equals 8 1/2 AA 42 12 equals 10 B 39 11 equals 7 A 38–15 equals 6 1/2 E 40–12 equals 8 1/2 B 43–16 equals 11 1/2 EE 41–13 equals 9 1/2 C 44 17 equals 12 EEE NOTE: The figure “1” does not always appear before the width numeral but when it appears as above, it indicates that “A” width starts with “1”. However, in some makes of shoes, sizes are indicated in a similar manner as the above with the exception that they use only one numeral to indicate the width. In all such cases, this indicates that “A” width starts with zero (0) instead of “1”. For example: 40–0 equals 8 1/2 A 40–1 equals 8 1/2 B 40–2 equals 8 1/2 C In other words, when the figure “1” appears in front of the width figure, then “A” width begins with “1”, but when there is no figure “1” in front of the width figure, then “A” begins with zero.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Simple you are burnt out.I usually take a whole month off once a year.which is easy I'm outside the country when I do.and even then i hit a few fleamarkets.
But after that I'm itching to go.for me personally its dealing with ******* idiots and low life's ,all it takes is one **** to ruin a day or week.not the hunt or looking part.diversify and look at art etc,looking at clothes can get tedious and boring
You might also wanna lessen your burden.I consign everything I find.leaves me more time to thrift if I want or just step away from that side completely.sure there's a price but my sanity is worth the %.  

This.
Check the other **** going on in your life too. That's usually what does it for me. Sometimes it's my escape/release, as Spoo says, but when it becomes associated with having to sell what you're finding, you don't have to be Pavlov to figure out that's going to blunt the high.
You gotta find balance. Sometimes this is part of the solution and sometimes it's part of the problem.
And I'm the last guy anyone should be taking advice from on any of this.

Takai

Reaction score
I just spent too much on a pen, auction fever.
Mont Blanc 103378 Etoile Platinum with a diamond in the end. Details when it comes in. Will be a nice conversation piece, I'll have clients sign purchase agreements with it :)
Pretty pen, but modern Montblancs are just meh :/ They are only good as bling. You want a real conversation piece that makes peoples eyes get big?

Waterman 452 c1916 with a 14ct Wet noodle nib. Covered in Sterling. Now that is an excellent conversation starter, or at least it has been for me.

For an every day pen that you can give a little less care though

The Parker Cisele in Solid sterling, Non-flexy nib, but ages beautifully.

If you're looking for fun with Montblanc, I'd honestly go with an older 2, or 3 series. 1950's Montblanc 146s, and 149s though tend to bring quite the pretty penny, especially in Red.

Montblanc 342/ "Monte Rosa" Student Pen, can usually be had for a song.

Montblanc 22, styling ques taken from this and put into Parker's 45/Flighter model.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 on what the others have said. It's just a phase. I go through it a couple times a year, sometimes more. Always when things slow down. Seeing the same crap and the same faces. Gets old really fast, especially when you're not finding anything.

You are on the right track with thinking about the thriftcation. Doesn't have to be far. Just a change of scenery. This really helps me. Another, like Frenchy mentioned is to diversify. For every little niche there is a grail. Crystal, lamps, furniture, artwork, office supplies, dishes, flatware, sporting goods. Keeps things interesting and you will learn more in the process. I've recently starting looking more into flatware after selling a set I picked up for $5 for $270 with less effort than selling a sportcoat (no measurements needed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads