The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Speaking of Omegas, I dug out this one the other day. My dad picked it up for me at a garage sale years ago for $2. Still works well--though it should be serviced if I were to use it as an everyday watch.

[​IMG]

Movement is the US-specific 750.
    [​IMG]

So it feels good to find things for my parents, who taught me a lot of what I know about treasure hunting--I picked a pair of these for them for $75 awhile back:

Fisher & Paykel dishwasher. These are like $7-800/each for this half-size.
    [​IMG]

The other one will go in their cabin in Georgia.

2. noob15

noob15 Senior member

That's pretty clean and with just a cleaning and oiling and a new gasket should be GTG.

3. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

I wear my @Nataku-thrifted Omega Seamaster probably three times a week (new band has been put on since this photo).

[​IMG]

4. aging in rhythm

aging in rhythm Senior member

@Ace_Face Oh shit - that's my dream watch

5. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

A simple seamaster is probably one of the best sub $500 watches that can be bought. So many cool variations (yay pie pan) and great movements.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:slayer: :fistbump:

I've only ever thrifted 2 watches. That Omega and the Breitling Aerospace. You really brought that Omega back to life.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Spoo, tell me you have a garage full of awesome motorcycles and my envy will be through the roof....

8. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Bros, be on the look out for the north face purple label. Its designed by nanamica's designer, Eiichiro Homma. I know i will.

9. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

Yeh if ur in JAPAN.

10. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Lol don't be surprised to find them outside of Japan. Haven carry them. I bet frenchy prolly will find them in Canada since haven is there.

11. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Drunk though.nanamica is sick

12. Letric

Letric Senior member

Here's a subject that I don't really see mentioned here often:

Has anyone grown tired, or bored of thrifting? What about clothing / style in general?... Lately I've been investing way less time and energy into thrifting / reselling / clothing in general. When I go, I just generally do a quick walk through... pickup any grails or personal cops and peace out within 15-20 mins unless there's a ton of nice shit. Getting sick of working over the same stores, seeing the same stuff, same people.

It's not like the high-end goods have dried up... I've been copping nice things, both for personal and re-selling purposes. Just kinda growing tired of the legwork and grind. Wondering if anyone has gone through this, and if it's just a "phase" that will pass... or I'm wondering If maybe I'm just done with the business. Starting to consider selling off my entire backlogged inventory wholesale. [​IMG]

Wondering what some of you do to keep things interesting? New neighborhoods / states? Or does anyone take breaks / vacations from everything and come back refreshed?

13. vexco

vexco Senior member

It's a phase. I'm sure we all go through it every now and then. I know I certainly have and still do. Sometimes it's good to take a break and recharge.

If you're getting tired of going out to thrift, that's the perfect time to work through your backlog. Why bother selling it wholesale when you probably bought it to profit off of? Seems counterproductive. Use the time you would thrift to put your stuff up on ebay. Maybe the money rolling in will convince you that it's not so bad to put the leg work in :p

14. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Senior member

Mhmm, I visit stores every day, and our stores here in Sweden are mostly small ones and the stuff isn't too interesting either most of the time. I pretty much know the inventory by heart in every store. My solution is going to flea markets, you don't find the same level of stuff but it's always new things and a nice atmosphere.

Seeing what you guys find is both fantastic and frustrating, one of your " fodder days" can be compared to many months/ a full year of thrifting for me.

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Naw, Ill probably get flamed for this but I can't stand motorcycles. They scare the shit out of me.

I can't recall a time where I had a lull in wanting to go hunting. This is my blood, my hobby, my career, my therapy, my passion. YMMV. I only lament the times I can't do it more. Wes and I thrifted for like 10 straight hours and I think we both could have gone another 10.