The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

I might be completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure when it says "clean by fur method", that means it's synthetic fur.

2. vexco

vexco Senior member

Fine by me. Just had no idea. Thanks!

3. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Your wife should be very proud! AND I should thank you for finding such a fantastic LV bag and researching it and selecting the best one and buying it and shipping it FROM JAPAN in a few days. INCREDIBLE. This is the best deal I have ever gotten on the MOST MINT Louis Vuitton i have seen. Seriously. If my Wife didn't have an idea that something would be coming in the mail for her, I would consider selling this and as nice as it is, I would still make good money! But, our Anniversary is on the 28th and she will LOVE this LV.

4. Nobleprofessor

Dude all the Thriftening stuff before (the $125,000 worth of suits) and now this? I know it doesn't quite compare, but St. John and Hermes in the same week? Send some thriftening down south to Kansas!

5. Nobleprofessor

If I didn't already have too many briefcases, I would be all over that. Very nice!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  6. aging in rhythm

aging in rhythm Senior member

Scored on a few deminz pickups today: ALL AVAILABLE

Brand new, totally unworn pair of size 31 RPMWESTs
    [​IMG]

And two pairs of Kicking Mule Workshops 1980s, one wornish pair of 31L and one newish pair of 32R

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Nobleprofessor

I will try to take pictures later, but I went to an estate sale and bought all women's items. But, the were a gorgeous sheared beaver fur coat (insert beaver joke here), a mouton Fur coat, a SEAL fur coat, a Burberry trench coat with liner, a Burberry Harrington, and a Lucchese Ostrich Belt (mens). At a different sale, I got a pair of 1940-50's Lee Striped Overalls, a NOS Stetson Open road with box, and more.

Plus, I was interviewed on TV last night and today and one of my cases was on the front page of the paper!

8. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

So here's the coat. It's got a wildly big collar, no buttons or belt loops. Anyone know if this style has a name? Also, leftofthedial said vicuña runs $1500 a yard :butbut:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Versace Guy

Versace Guy Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You sir, just won this thread.

Seriously, wtf......
    WTF

10. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

Wear it all the time. Never sell.

11. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

If I were going to guess, I'd call that one late 1950s, early 1960s. The frugal use of fabric from WWII was over; the lines are still elegant (think Jackie O) and not getting into the late 60s early 70s ugh look, It may have originally had a removable real fur overlay (very common on collars like that).

The style is called 'clutch' because you have to clutch it closed across your body with one hand while you navigate the world with the other.

12. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

There are several ways to tell real fur, and the first is, what do your hands tell you? Real fur is plush, thick, usually with an undercoat of some kind beneath the longer, stiffer guard hairs (unless it has been sheared - not unusual for beaver but rare in most other furs). Guard hairs are slick. Real hair - especially mink, natural beaver, and raccoon, may feel vaguely oily. Sythetics never do. They may feel fluffy and soft, but never sleek, slick, or oily.

The second is your eyes:Can yoiu get between the hairs to their base? If you can, is there evidence of woven fabric at the base? Most undercoats on real furs have such a small micron measurement, and grow so densely, that you really cannot get down to the skin, and if you can, you can barely make it out. With fake furs, you will SEE a fabric base.

I am occasionally fooled by some of the most modern and highest quality fake furs, but even so, they're too ...perfect. All hairs are the same length. Patterns repeat unnaturally.

For the coat you were looking at, there is not an animal in nature that has frosted tips to its fur, with fur that length. Raccoon comes close, but you'll see the guard hairs taper to a very fine point. Those are all uniform.

Things to watch for with real, especially vintage real furs, is the pelt pieces coming apart from the sheer weight of the skins and brittling of the skins with poor storage. This is especially true at the shoulders and underarms. Also, bald patches along the sides, under the arms, and at the cuffs from simple wear. At the very least, you never have to watch for that with fake furs.

13. eazye

eazye Senior member

[​IMG]

14. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

[​IMG]
    Another one of these inco dildos

[​IMG]
    More tellason

[​IMG]
    Cortefiel velvet smoking

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Either you got a horse shoe up ur ass or a backroom deal because I was in that store today and didnt see any of that except the smoking jacket.in any case well done.and fuck you lol.