1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Tweets

Tweets Senior Member

Not to be a dick...but you might want to learn how to use the ebay completed listings too...one sold for $25, and its listed again so it either got returned or never paid. for.

2. jamesmkeart

jamesmkeart Senior Member

Yeah, oh well.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Distinguished Member

Hit an estate sale and one Goodwill; forgot to take pics of a few of them there vinyl rekkid things I bought but they weren't all that special (Command recordings - I like the covers more than the records sometimes). Didn't pick up much:

NOS bowling shoes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I never buy BR, except when I buy BR:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you can't read the tag: "American Woolen Co. Inc." and dated "April 30, 1943."
    [​IMG]

Here's a decent fake. Paid $6.97 and used it to look up "how to spot a fake Louis Vuitton", so as to edumacate myself a bit:

[​IMG]

Font is wrong. Logo is wrong (should have the (R) Registered mark above it):

[​IMG]

Hardware is not bad:

[​IMG]

Another wrong font and logo:

[​IMG]

Date code tag is all kinds of fucked up. "RA" is indeed France, but the 4 digit code (1780) makes no sense for either date format...and it should not have the "-003" trailing digits at all:

[​IMG]

Came with lock & key. Cute.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also had some back-and-forth stitching, which is wrong. Pattern matching was passable. Coated canvas & leather handles / details were passable. Will use it to store jumper cables and shit in my trunk.

4. noob15

noob15 Senior Member

I love vintage American made shoes. I love the nostalgia and the quality. So peridically, when I find a decent pair, I pick them up and work on restoring them for my own education, and because I find it relaxing.

These caught my eye because while they're not quite the traditional austerity brogue, they're austere enough. Considering what current prices are for similar styles, I thought it was enough of both a challenge and a possibility of profit to spend half an hour on them.

I forgot to take before pics, but they were scuffed up and looked pretty rough.

Took a few pics that don't do them justice, but the puppy is sick so that's my excuse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Koala-T

Koala-T Distinguished Member

Few more tings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TMAdidas

TMAdidas Senior Member

Went to an Amvets and a Goodwill today and am pleased, although those who have seen some of my other thrift pickups will realize that I am the equivalent of a kindergartener thrifter. Sorry in advance for the crappy iPhone pics. Anyways, Today:

RRL Blazer 36R (looks black in pics, actually Navy blue)
    [​IMG]

Cerruti Jacket 40R (navy blue as well)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cerutti Orphan that I'll prolly regret 40R
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Canali Suit 40R (also much lighter colored than in pics)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

So yeah, not too bad for only 2 stores, spending a total of $21

7. vexco

vexco Distinguished Member

Yes on the Canali but no on the rest. I assume by RRL you mean Ralph Ralph Lauren?

8. TMAdidas

TMAdidas Senior Member

Yes, and I was considering keeping that piece as it fits me and I do not have many Blazers.

9. vexco

Yeah, for self, sure but I wouldn't pick it up to flip.

10. TMAdidas

TMAdidas Senior Member

Yeah I was keeping that one, gonna try to flip the others, but looks like the Canali might be the only one to make me anything.

11. vexco

What helped me when I started however long ago was to go through the thread and make a list of the brands you see people copping. I also read the thread from the first page on(the original thread). The list will keep growing as long as you thrift. It's a good reference but after a few months you won't need it anymore. It will save you money and space(big issue) in the long run.

12. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

@SpooPoker as you and a few other guys know, I am trying to collect every FF title on every console. The FF1 for Nes is a thing, because it is perhaps one of the hardest to find. i have a copy in Japanese, and would be very interested in the English version. not only because of the language, but also the cover art is different.

not a Big money item. Though you will find FF has a huge fan base. some of whom, may want more than others.

13. vexco

Absolutely. Issue is that SNES and PS1 games tend to be more coveted when it comes to rpg's and shit. SNES, in particular, has had prices skyrocketing in the past year.

14. bpk1

bpk1 Senior Member

Completely unrelated to thrift store finds - I know it's a massive longshot, but if anyone has a Quindici tie box they'd like to sell I really could use one. Cross-posting to buy/sell/trade thread too - thanks in advance!

15. Koala-T

Koala-T Distinguished Member

In the sprit of disambiguation, RRL usually means this: http://www.ralphlauren.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=12138266

Ralph Ralph Lauren is a diffusion line that sells in stores like Macy's and Dillards. You'll want to stay away from it unless you like it for yourself.