The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. OolongT

OolongT Senior member

....everything?

2. freehand

freehand Senior member

Bit off topic, but I thrifted a pair of Nudie selvedge for myself a while back with a fair size hole in them. Finally got round to using the free kit Nudie provides for repairs - while it isn't the prettiest job you'll ever see I think it makes for a wearable pair of jeans with a bit of extra interest, and I enjoyed doing it. I certainly won't be afraid of picking up a nice pair of jeans because of a hole in future.

Started like this:

[​IMG]

Finished like this:
    [​IMG]

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, same here. Had a sz 42 Beaufort like the one he is selling in my cart and it disappeared. Tried going back for the 40 (because Barbour usually fits big) and that disappeared too. Then all the other sizes went. I tried to console myself saying that they were probably Made in Tunisia or something. Then I saw these last night and they are Made in England. :fu:

4. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Hey guys, been a while, thought I'd check in with a little update and as always, be sure to bring some goodies with me as well for your viewing please. So for the past week or more has been straight work and orgnaizing and packing up for the move.Well the lease offical begins today, thus the moving starts today, however the process of clearing ounr an 1,100 sqf apartment that every single, corner, shelf, hanger, drawer, etc.. was used to store thrifts, especially before I got serious with the garment racks and storage contaners and became truly organized, I've come across some long lost treasures. These silks are my favorite find because it brings me back to being about 2 months into this and still trying to really find my true Identity. During this period, on a thrift outing, I just by chance cross paths with a giant YSL Rive Gauche Silk Scarf. It was 5 bucks and copped it without question. I listed it and sold it to some girl for like 170 bucks. That day I decided that giant silks were going to be part of my business....this plan lasted exactly one week because that following weekened I would up paying way up for a YSL Femmes scarf and a Chanel that turned out fake. I took a hit and also go the message. I didn't know a single goddamn thing about silk back then and it's totally random to make part of my business. However I uncovered the following that I thrifted and never shared with the thread, so since applicable and never shared heres a few, they are all giant, at least 30x30, and am able to now confidentaly say, they're all real. Now that I know and can tell, I think I'm pickin this back up as a hobby...

Not the most valuable designer by any means, but Gold Baroque design with cheetahs? Can't pass on that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vtg, Back when they were all hand made in Japan, PRL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another vintage piece from Ralphie, main label, no P
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Absolute zero recollection of this ever happening but this could be my favorite

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great looking, solid piece for sure
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the border tartan print gives away the culprits behind this one. Did a little research on this specific print and it happens to be one of very few prints that Burberry never printed their name on.
    .[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lastly, For sure the most epic design and artistic of the bunch. This thing is impressive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I gotta shout out @freehand for the great trade. This NWT's RL Black Label Anthony suit is gorgeous, much thanks.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Secondly, gotta shout out @Woofa for the trade too. I'm able to provide his closet with its first 100% Pure Kiton Cashmere, something I take joy in doing, every man should have one.

I got this super recent Luciano Barbera Sartoriale Collezioni unlined unstructured, suede detailing, navy blazer w/ an insane fabric compisition
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got this Navy POW blazer too, triple patch, working cuffs, that looks to be and extremely recent model or one that was purchased and never worn. It also happens to be pretty decent.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Once I have my official store relaunch you guys are gonna be floored. I am fucking just stock piling like you wouldn't believe, it's gonna be an epic event.

Ok, so now here's the results of my thrift stop, one I was in desperate need of.

As always, some ties first, overall fail, being good for ebay at least....HOWEVER MORE ON THIS FURTHER DOWN. Related, but it's deserving of and necessary to, give it it's own post.
    [​IMG]
    Good Armani, 2x Boss aka Pure Fodder, Only good tie - Rosenthal-Truitt medallion neat tie w/ a John Comfort manucaturing tag (by far the best and by far worth the least)
    ,[​IMG] [​IMG]

Stupid US Polo I didn't mean to buy, Ted Baker because people give money for it, a very new Valentino that is super smooth and glossy, Old model Stefano Ricci that feels brand new and slick
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And then this fucking think I had to buy because I know someone out ther would want it....but I didn't check the tag...no play in my store with that and in the donation box you go
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

My first step back into the world of silk. It's no Hermes, has no artistic appeal or even decent designs, nothing really to keep, plus it's origin of production does not make the cut in the slightest...off to the bay, However, this marks my return to the game.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seemingly standard black jeans...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

That then do this.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Seem legit.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sulka slacks
    [​IMG]

Shirts cuz you wanna be in Italian casual
    [​IMG]

Cuz you're about your business
    [​IMG]

Cuz America
    [​IMG]

Hated buying this but people like em, so here you go
    [​IMG]

Very nice Cashmere sweater.
    [​IMG]

Lyle & Scott? Check 100% Cashmere? Check. Made in Hawick, Scotland? Win.
    [​IMG]

A charcoal cotton flannel from the low key, best shirting company, from casual to night out type shirts, there is. Coast Italy is the shit.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wasn't just pleasentaly surprissed at this but extremely surprised at this. First, It's an absolute gorgeous tweed blazer, secondly you can tell it's a really high quality piece and I didn't think that Paul Smith London had it in them to pump out something with this style and quality to match.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lastly we have something that is beyond rare. There's literally zero of them out there. I found an old newspaper clipping from 1983 that said they cost $180 then, I can't imagine what that would be today. At first glance it's like any other tie. Then flip it over and see the backside of the blade and the tagand you got yourself another vintage Sulka, just like the one you thrifted last week and the week prior...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

But then you see this keeper. Limited Edition. Pure Sulka Silk. With 18k Gold Lame. That is correct, this tie is covered in gold. All of that jacquard pattern, each and ever diamond, is sewn with Gold. I can safely say this is a first. I've thrifted 14k gold Sport Coat buttons, but never would I've thought a Gold tie. Dunno what to do with this.
    [​IMG]

Pics of the Office, inventory room as well as Photo studio once it's all set up. It'll be a few days at least, I got a ton of fucking shit. That is all.

5. DapperE

DapperE Senior member

The thrift giveth and the thrift taketh away...............

6. freehand

freehand Senior member

Jompso - really glad you're pleased with the suit. Still waiting for Royal Mail to deliver at my end.

Need to shout out Florian though, I have been doing my thrifting admin today and finally picked up from the tailor the awesome Sartoria Partenopea cashmere cotton jacket he traded me. Just threw it on over what I was wearing (all thrifted of course) for a quick fit pic below but this will look great dressed up too.

[​IMG]

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

+1. I've got a couple Coast shirts and, aside from the PRL bright patchwork plaid pants I got from Spoo, the Coast shirts always get the most comments. Great fit and construction.

9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Mega props to @capnwes for working his magic on these Nettleton shells! They were in decent shape to begin with, but I needed to take them to the next level, and dude came through with flying colors. They're gorgeous. Many thanks!

Pics by the Capn', before / after:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Apart from food and Underwear? yes.

If i need something? i find it, and make it work.

#Thriftlife

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  11. double00

double00 Senior member

got into a pretty epic shoot-out yesterday:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Mens-Levi-Strauss-Jeans-Size-30X36-24015130.html

unheralded. i thought i had this all to myself, check out the bid history. there was another sophisticate involved.

the last 5 seconds turned into Enemy at the Gates, but i turned out to be Ed Harris and not Jude Law. i thought i had put in a nice fat cushion but only succeeded in taking a bunch of the air out of the other guy's balloon. now i'm curious how much ceiling he had. ah well...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  12. SpecialK2k12

SpecialK2k12 Senior member

Dear thrift thread, I saw this today. Louis Vuitton trunk, doesn't have the LV logo pattern and VV wants $1,500.
    [​IMG]

What's the max I should drop on this if I wanted to flip it? No LV all over print, and only like 36 x 36 x 18.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

15. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

I bought a Ravazzolo SC that was incredible. It was new, still had all the basting and the buttons were still in the package. Cashmere with lots of handwork, well made, etc. I sold it for much less than I thought I would, but it still sold for over $100. Can't remember exactly how much. If I found I one in my own size, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it for myself. But, for resale, they just don't get the love and respect and I think they deserve.