1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Takai

Takai Senior Member

Anyone have any vests/waistcoats in like a 38-40 they want rid of?

2. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior Member

really like looking through these, lusting over the CDG jackets most
    Damn, hope you guys hit some more Spontaneously hit some stores in the suburbs today. My phone quit charging pretty early in the day :/ so I was limited to what I knew from memory BB/Alden horsebutt x3 [​IMG] Isaia, Gant Rugger, Eton, Gucci, New England, J Press [​IMG] Two records out of so many trashed ones, one big box in particular was lps with without jackets and to worn to buy. Mingus, Nina Simone, John Lee Hooker the only reason I flipped through it was because a copy of Relaxin with the Miles Davis Quintet was on top :violin: [​IMG]

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

Kenneth P., Jesus H. Whiz, man!!

4. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Distinguished Member

Yeah, @Ken P Did you leave any EG outerwear behind :lurk:

5. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Distinguished Member

make sure it's made in Hong Kong and not a remake after j crew purchased them. Only the real true vintage Geiger will guys really touch. That's why some on the bay is dirt cheap and nobody touches. But the high dollar stuff is pre j crew.

6. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Distinguished Member

^isnt it Lands End that bought the W&G name?

Also, that one is definitely true Willis and Geiger I believe. /Edit

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

7. the2ndhandman

Yes cj my correction on my part it is lands end. If it's made really any wear other than china your good basically. The poplin patch is throwing me of with its colored thread. I'm guessing it's probably from around 1990 to 1995. The plastic keepers for the drawstrings is another indication of it being fairly newer. These two are twins and are early 80's poplins. The poplin tags were always white with tan stiching and made in Hong kong. If you find sweaters the good ones are made in peru. The bonus is if they are a burgundy tag instead of blue there the original poplin shirts and sell for the most. If it's a leather bomber the Eddie bower ones are the second best with Abercrombie jackets being top tier. I love geiger it's one of my top ten favorite brands but it's extremely hard to find it in small. I get more exited finding vintage Geiger than I do a lot of stuff. I would take these two shirts over a recent brioni suit any day you can't find this kind of quality anymore. I sold a burgundy label safari jacket about four years ago and a bidding war started between multiple people and it ended up going to Africa for around $750.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Cj52racers

Yeah, I was going off of his jacket being a Hong Kong labeled that it was pre Lands End, which I think is either 99 or 2000 when they took over. Also, the blue thread on the poplin tag is, I believe, early 90s as you said. I had a few of the Safari/photographer shirts with the same blue color poplin tag and they were Hong Kong made and before LE.

My two favorite W&G finds have been a linen cardigan and a mid century thick ass belt that brought a pretty penny.

Edit: lol at the terrible photography featured below

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

9. the2ndhandman

I wonder why they made that out of linen but so heavy weight looking. Was that a personal sweater?

10. Cj52racers

No, it's long gone. It did weight nearly five pounds though. Absolutely zero idea why though haha.

11. freehand

freehand Senior Member

Hit a few shops yesterday and fruited only a few things (all available):

Couple of nice Dunhill shirts,16

[​IMG]

NWT Kolor floral panel tee, boxy size 3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ami tee, medium

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, wrong thread I know, but I bragged here a while back about finding my first Savile Row bespoke piece that fitted me. Well I had it dry cleaned and just tried it with a shirt and the sleeves are too short for me so this is available now. Dege & Sons from 81 but timeless styling (bar awesome frogmouth pockets on the pants). 38 short. It's flawless.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Ken P

Ken P Distinguished Member

No! I wouldn't dare do that. I picked up all the EG in the store. I left behind some Umi 908, BoO, Our Legacy, Journal Standard, Universal Works and a couple others. Mostly shirts that were priced to high for flippage. I'm going to be watching for price drops though and to see if they put out anymore. This place doesn't really have a backstock though, so whatever they get goes right to the floor. So I'm not holding my breath. I wish I could meet the guy who sold all this stuff to the store as they didn't give him half of what all this stuff was worth. I need to hang out there, look for swaggy kids coming in to sell and be like "hey, want some candy to consign with me?" :devil:

13. ATLjon

ATLjon Distinguished Member

14. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior Member

15. Odradek

Odradek Senior Member

Just measured this jackets and the P to P comes out at 23".
    Does that fit well with a 42L. Seems a little big to me.
    Perhaps a 44?

The sleeves were shortened in a very amateurish way, so I've snipped the thread and they're back to the original length, but sadly missing two cuff buttons from each sleeve.