The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

I think the whole buffalo thing is a waist of time personally. The money to front $7 for one shirt and say I buy $100 in shirts and i make $14 profit per shirt on a realistic average.That means i profit $100 in shirts The time and energy collecting them and driving there and standing in the hour long line is time waisted. I would rather just buy the things off the rack there to turn the profit. I mean if it's a good deal it's a good deal. You could also spend the three hours thrifting that you spent screwing around with all of it to thrift and hope to hit a jackpot find of some kind. It only takes one decent thing to find to make the same profit or more without the same upfront cost. Just my take I mean last time I was at one of those stores some guy sold his cucinelli boots for $65 and he was stoked to find some crappy j crew shirts.

2. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Not my listing, don't see the come up often so I figured I'd put it up and there's an OBO on em
    [​IMG]

3. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

I wish those would fit me. I'd glue them on and never take them off.

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

PSA: You guys have been killing it at a time when it takes me one hour to leave a thumb on mobile. I feel I've let you all down...please know I'm thumbing your awesome finds in my heart.

PSA 2: How do you tell if a Dragon's Lair hat is vintage?

PSA 3: Holy shit, Courtney Cox, Campbell Scott, and Alex P. Keaton all sharing the screen on Family Ties, I shit you not...

5. Letric

Letric Senior member

Okay time to spit some knowledge on yas. [​IMG][​IMG]

Lately I've pulled back from Buffalo Exchange and other resale shops. I used to supply them hardcore... Selling 15-30 items each visit, and generally walking out with 3-5x what I spent on those items. At my height, I was selling maybe 70-100 items a week. It's a good racket if you get things super cheap, and get good rates when selling. I've probably sold Buffalo / Crossroads / Redlight Vintage like 700+ items in the past year.

The last time I went in there, they priced shit really low for some reason though. The problem is that you usually get a different "Buyer" each time, and they price shit pretty randomly that way. Sometimes you might get lucky and get a girl who will price your sub-par selvedge at $55+ each, and you walk out with bank... But that's rare. They have general "Pricing Tiers" that you have to learn about over time, and eventually you learn what not to buy.

It's not worth it if you're getting items for $5+ each, because you will most likely get $6-8 per item on average in cash. The thrifts in my area typically price J.crew shit over $10, so those are a no-go unless for personal wearing. If you're getting really prime stuff for trade-ins... It can be worth it sometimes... But generally that stuff is worth more to sell on eBay or consign at times.

However... if you can get really prime J.crew, Rag & Bone, Theory, etc pieces for like $3 each or less, it CAN be worth it. Though typically I will only sell there if I see some shit on the racks that I want, like RRL denim or Raybans or something. I generally keep a box of "Buffalo Fodder" in my car for those times. If I don't really see anything I want in there, I save the box for another day. If I'm strapped for cash that week, I might say fuck it and dump the whole load and cash out.

I'd say for most casual thrifters, it's a no-go unless you just wanna get rid of some stuff and take a chance that they will want it. One thing that helps is to at least press shirts and stuff before taking them in. Pressed / Folded items really make a big impression on them, and they price it higher. When I bring in my stuff, that's how I do it. If you bring in a trash bag filled with wrinkled stuff, it kinda turns them off. If they DO purchase anything out of that bag, it will be the lowest pricing tier. It's worth it to spend 2-3 hours on a load of 20+ items to take in... Unless your time is super valuable.

Like @the2ndhandman has said, it's not really worth it for most hardcore thrifters because your time is better spent at other thrifts copping more stuff. I usually only resort to Buffalo at the end of the night, or in dry times.

If people have more questions about Selling at Buffalo / Crossroads, hit me up. I have probably sold more items to them than anyone here, so I know most of the ins and outs of the business there.

Also... Been meaning to post some haulage, but have been feeling like crap lately. Will post soon. Cheers. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Appreciate the info on the whole situation ^^ and all of you. I think its not worth the time invested for me personally, but thank you for the input - maybe Ill train my daughter J. Crew labels and start her in that hustle :slayer:

7. Letric

Letric Senior member

^ Yeah if there are people under 18 who want to sell stuff there, they just need to bring a parent or legal guardian with ID.

Recent J.crew stuff is a good place to start. Try to look at the inner fabric labels which are usually dated, and stay within the past 2-3 years as a rule of thumb. Striped shirts generally aren't popular there, as well as stuff with a really huge size or boxy fit. I've found that Chambrays, Plaids and Checked patterned shirts sell the best. They also usually price colorful / clean sneakers pretty high... Doesn't even have to be a rare model or anything. Also any sort of pseudo-workwear that isn't H&M / Missoni / Merona etc. Sometimes they can be fooled by the cheaper workwear stuff and price it pretty high lol.

One area that I've seen promise in at those shops is Jewelry. Legally they can't actually take gold or silver (at least for Buffalo), so they just work with costume jewelry and stuff. I always see women selling bags of jewelry there for pretty damn good prices, and since its mostly costume and stuff it probably doesn't cost much to buy at thrifts. Another good area is women's accessories like handbags, bracelets, wallets, etc.... and of course shoes. I believe most of their market / stock is women's wear. Most shops have like 60-70% + of their space dedicated to women's, and the rest for men's.

I should also mention Pendleton shirts / jackets... Buffalo and Crossroads may not deal with them a ton, but vintage shops love that US made Pendleton stuff. I sell a lot to this "Redlight Vintage" shop here in Portland, and they have one in Seattle too. Generally they price Pendleton shirts in "good shape" at around $30-35+ lol, which means you usually get like $10-12 cash. That's not bad at all, if you're getting them for $5 or less each. By "good shape" I mean not destroyed or stained to hell. If there's a little wear, or a pinhole or two... they generally take them. The only thing they stay away from with Pendletons is shrunken ones.

Right now they are rabidly acquiring that stuff for fall, so it's a good time to sell. They also price Peacoats and shit pretty high too. Also, some vintage shops will pay a crapload for old selvedge Levis... They don't have to be Big E's (you shouldnt be hocking Big E's anyways), but they almost price em like Big E's. I took in like 4 pairs of 80's - 90's selvedge Levis that were pretty worn, and not really worth listing on the Bay... and I got like $25 a pair in cash lol. However, it really depends on how astute the store / buyer is. YMMV [​IMG]

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I am really REALLY happy I broke my rule about not going out on sale day.

Still going

9. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

Beat me to it! Exactly the same experience for me.

10. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

(you shouldnt be hocking Big E's anyways)----(sound advice right there)

11. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Kind of weird you named your daughter J Crew labels.... I would have thought like Kiton Ferrari.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Super Minty Vintage Ponte Rialto Skimmer with ultra stiff 4-ply brim. Sold at JAB believe it or not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Happy Labor Day!

Spending my day at the beach with the family for a much needed getaway!
    [​IMG]

14. Takai

Takai Senior member

In b4 Moxie Crimefighter

15. sashae

sashae Senior member

Yeah it's absurd to me that GW in CT is more expensive than some of the charity thrifts in the city - $25 for a Polo button down? $90 for a Golden Fleece suit? it was sorta comical - I picked up some things at Buffalo Exchange last week that were cheaper!