The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

always just looking for that side hustle.

maybe ill try 10 or 20 and see how it goes.

2. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

Oh man, good luck. Buffalo exchange is a pain sometimes. They are dicks and it comes down to the person buying. I bring stuff in and turn around if the girl who prices my shit at 16.50 instead of 30 is at the buy counter. Some peopl are real assholes in there. I have brought shit in for 30$ payouts, and then waited and brought the same left over shit in for huge 200+ pay outs from a buyer who understood my stuff. Many buyers are only considering how clean your Target brand clothes are and not trying to give you any money for rare desirable clothing. I literally bring them swill, but acceptable swill, and they lap it up. Then I spread their cheeks and ream them for any desirable shit on their racks. This usually makes up for the buy counter.

3. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

^^ Yup, weirdly enough the manager bought nearly everything I had last time I was in there. I wasnt flirting or anything. Every other time I have been in there, I ll take a bag and they will buy like 2-3 things from me.

4. sashae

sashae Senior member

First time running some CT shops... meh day. Found an entire rack of Canali Exclusive NWT sport coats and suits (literally a dozen of the thing) -- ALL OF THEM with some sort of major damage -- holes, cuts, etc. Still had the basting on the shoulders and sleeves, a crime I tell you! I found one grey birdseye Canali 'travel' SC that fit perfectly, couldn't find any problems... hit the checkout and find a 2cm hole in one sleeve :fu:

In the end, a few treats.

Beretta Italy quilted insulated car coat:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stack of Eton shirts all my size and a BG button down oxford. Eton isn't the fanciest stuff, but I love the cuts.
    [​IMG]

Oliver Peoples 'Rossi' titanium sunnies. Prescription lenses will get chucked :)
    [​IMG]

Brand new Tilley Endurables T3 boonie hat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PRL cashmere/silk zip neck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

From previous conversations here, check the "second tag" on j crew stuff for the date, only buy recent stuff, no striped shirts, and take store credit over cash if you're paying 7 a shirt...they sometimes put out stuff like RRL jeans and price them low, so store credit can be better than cash.

That was the advice from someone else here who regularly sold to BuffEx...to me, not worth the effort since I rarely find recent JC stuff here.

6. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

What's the drill on replacing prescription lenses from a thrifted pair of glasses to turn them into regular sunglasses? Is this done at most eye glasses places? Cost?

7. snackbandit

snackbandit Senior member

My rule of thumb is: Wasteland first, Crossroads second, then Buffalo. Then repeat the next week with on a different day w/ different associates buying.

8. va230815

va230815 Senior member

Just a PSA, for those who don't know. Who knows, maybe you all do and I was late to the party. But J Crew Ludlow is a gold mine
    I just sold my 3 piece suit for $350, meanwhile i couldnt sell my Isaia for 250

Edit: I also sold a Ludlow suit jacket for 120

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  9. va230815

va230815 Senior member

Thanks! Any anecdotes about what each of them specifically like specifically, other than whats been stated?

10. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Find a mom and pop glasses shop, switched from rx to regular on a pair of vintage Versace and it cost me about $50 and 20 minutes, lenses crafters wanted $125 to replace them

11. snackbandit

snackbandit Senior member

Wasteland prices the highest, but they're pretty selective of what they take in. Mainly high end designer, non-vintage labels. Crossroads takes in almost everything else. I usually take the 50% store credit value at xroads instead of cash. Buffalo usually picks up the scraps. Again, this is a super general guide and each store really has their own nuances.

12. bpk1

bpk1 Senior member

Figured out its for a local country club - specifically
    http://www.huntingtoncc.org/Club/Scripts/Home/home.asp
    Thanks to @double00 , appreciate it!!

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Welcome to CT. Hope you liked the prices.

Word is there's some crew that comes through and hits stuff like that that made it to the floor priced too high -- kind of an FU to the pricers who effed them.

It's dangerous up in the streets of Fairfield County. Be safe out there.

FWIW, you haven't been missing much. This area's been pretty well cleaned out every day I've gone out lately.

14. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Speaking of Buffalo Exchange:

Portland OR dudes, there's a Kamakura Ivy OCBD for $18 downtown. Small, white. Good pickup for personal use.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  15. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I've got a stack of things to take pics of, but here's a few shoes I found this week:

(BIG UPS to @txwoodworker for the heads up on these Sutors. Got em through a phone bid at Goodwill in store auction for a great price)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]