Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Thank you sir! That gives me a starting point to follow.

2. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

@TMAdidas

[​IMG]

3. TMAdidas

TMAdidas Senior member

Haha, nice meme lol. I wouldn't personally keep any of those jackets or suits, but they were all priced at $7 or less, so I should be able to make $20-$45 a piece just flipping them on eBay to people who only care about mainstream brand names like Armani or Dior. The St. Angelo one was $2.98, so even if I sell it for $20 I'm netting a profit for very little work. The shirts and sweater I'm keeping are just cuz they were ones in colors or patterns that I don't currently have.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015

4. double00

double00 Senior member

@TheNeedMachine just to add to the Wrangler disco:
    i found a pair of legit vintage 60s wranglers the other week, @Takai helped me figure out what i was looking at and i did a little digging into this whole Blue Bell thing. i believe the deal is that Blue Bell purchased wrangler back in the day, and the best most interesting vintage stuff seems to be Blue Bell or co-branded. i still have no idea if my jeans are actually a $ thing, i don't think so but they have interesting construction deetz - they might even be selvedge i don't know but the seams are lapped, so...

but as far as i can tell only the solely branded Wrangler denim uses the broken twill - if you look on the reverse of the fabric you might see the typical denim back or you might see a funny weft pattern that looks like little chevrons. that's broken twill, and it keeps the fabric from racking and twisting the way that old levi's will. you can weave either as selvedge.

the Blue Bell stuff afaik only uses traditional denim. and it will be branded as such, i don't see a bell anywhere on yours but maybe you pics jus don't show it. check out aeroleather's website, they deal in this repro denim and they might sell what you've got. i would expect the value of heritage repros sort of follows the value of these brands generally - that is, blue bell branded will be more desirable than wrangler only. but even if it's not i think you can sneakily spam your listing by specifying NOT Blue Bell lol. i'd be interested in what you find since i'm still figuring this wrangler stuff out.

5. TheNeedMachine

In the kindest way possible, and in the spirit of saving you some money and grief, if the store you bought this stuff from allows returns, please exercise that option. Since you said everything is available, I take that to mean you purchased it hoping to resell, and so:

• Armani Collezioni suit: dated (meaning: old) style, pleated pants (people mostly want flat-front now), etc. Someone somewhere might want it eventually, but chances are slim.
    • Armani sport coat: appears to be a suit jacket that is missing the pants. If so, that is not a sport coat or blazer. It's what we call an "orphan" and usually not something anyone would want.
    • YSL tux jackets: unless it's "Rive Gauche", do not touch YSL. Those are diffused (lower line that only licensed the name).
    • The 2-piece suit jacket and vest: is missing the pants. No one wants a matching jacket and vest without the pants...and the brand is not a thing.
    • Dior Monsieur: also diffused. You want Dior Homme, which is the plain "Dior" silver-gray tag.
    • Guy Laroche tie: the "diffusion" says it all - also licensed low-level stuff.

Back when, I wasted a lot of money on stuff I thought I could re-sell, and a lot of it was the same sort of thing you picked up. If you have a smart phone, use it in the store to check sold listings on eBay if you're buying stuff to re-sell. Or post a question and pic here while in the store and see if you get a reply yes/no.

Sorry mang, would have left 100% of those items. However, if you're happy with what you are keeping for yourself, then it was not entirely in vain.

6. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

Yo, not trying to be a hater, but I do not think its a hide jacket. Hide jackets are always tagged as such because they are more expensive. That particular jacket old and from a era hide jackets are made, but I never see that style in hide. Its pretty uncommon to come across Horse hide jackets, the the grain of the leather is different too. also It is very heavy, and more like armor than any jacket you would normally find.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the wear on a horse hide jacket I have right now.. the last Sears horse hide jacket I sold for 700$ to a personal trainer dude. They are very in demand and hard to come by. I see one maybe every 500 leather jackets.

7. TheNeedMachine

I did a quick search on "wrangler blue bell usa selvedge" and all of them had silver buttons on the fly. Mine have copper-colored. No "blue bell" tags anywhere. I don't think mine are all that old, mainly because there's a lot more info on the tag than one normally sees on genuine older vintage stuff where it was just "make, model, size" sort of thing. I'll save these for a rainy day / slow work day when I can sit and poke around a while. Thank you for the tips - since it's not something I'm gonna do right now I just emailed your post to myself and will see what I can dig up later.
    One of the tags says "VF Jeanswear Inc", so I ogled them - they currently own Wrangler, Lee, North Face, Vans, Timberland, JanSport, Nautica, 7 for all Mankind and more....wowsers.

8. Takai

Takai Senior member

Here's the low down on these, or more than likely the low down.

These are part of Wrangler's "Deluxe" Label. It was sort of a way for them to capitalize on some of the repro/selvedge craze. It's not super great, and came out a while back before Wrangler Blue Bell (new usa repro) stuff came out. In general unless it's OLD Wrangler Blue Bell, it's not worth much unfortunately.

9. TheNeedMachine

And thank you for the knowledge! First time I ever picked up Wrangler - figured USA and selvedge might be worth something since they're not keepers. Maybe break even if lucky. :(

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

That moment when you're looking for something you bought, could have sworn you purchased and brought home only to see it not on the receipt. Only explanation I can think of is that someone nabbed it from my cart in the store and I was too bedazzled by the Schott leather and M65 jackets to notice is was missing at the checkout. Was a brand new lime green Le Creuset tea kettle for $3. :fu:

11. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Bros, as you know Japan doesn't make too much swag in my size so i had to do some retail therapy. Went to a local store I've been buying for years and they are having a sale. So, when you are looking for flannels but can't find much, what do you do? You say fuck it! Kopp sugar cane on sale instead!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But what do you do after kopping 4 sugar cane flannels but still not satisfied!? Well, you Kopp a momotaro grail level selvedge dark indigo shirt on sale, of course! Pop!
    [​IMG]
    So, after kopping some grails on discount what do you get for free!? Why a momotaro denim calender for promotionall purposes and a bunch of catalogs!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so, how do you top this? Vader traded me these for a mountain of clothes i got him.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Boys! This is the real Mccoy you've been looking for.
    [​IMG]
    The mountain of clothes.
    Might go back to the shop... if you are looking for a proxy, please pm Vader for brodeetz. Work something out with him and I'll take your proxy and ship them out for cost after we get back.

12. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some better photo's of the Buffalo horn cartier's. Someone offered me 700$ on eBay already. Im shooting for at least a grand.
    [​IMG]
    Vintage Deadstock, single needle tailored poly/cotton button down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Various T shirts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That FLY SHIT.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    them some old aprons
    [​IMG]
    Fricking HUGE U.S. Mail bag.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Filson Hat.
    [​IMG]
    Abercrombie Longbill fitted from Pre-metrosexual days. :slayer:
    [​IMG]
    This is from a Motorcycle shop that was world famous named "Dago Chopper's" They were connected to the Hells Angel's MC.
    People collect stuff from this shop, the business card sells for 500$ for instance. It has a big demand among certain collectors in japan because they really like Nazi symbol's like the "SS" it seem's. They where allies in the war so I don't think they look at it the same as us. Anyway, this scummy hat will end up overseas on a japanese dude's head.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    See these Space Marines? they are wearing Mark6 "Corvus" pattern armor. That's rare. lol
    [​IMG]
    Battlebeasts!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    FENDI
    [​IMG]
    Ultima II cloth map.
    [​IMG]
    Vintage Levis 569 selvedge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1988 Mercedes Benz hat for NY marathon. Adidas torsion Vintage pin attached.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ASU vintage jerseys
    [​IMG]
    Pink Floyd bandana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Those AZ firebirds jerseys are REAL wilson Game worn not fan bullshit.
    The shirt from the CYPRESS HILL SMOKEOUT. Game Used IHL jersey, Vintage hats.

13. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Nah man it's all good, bought it thinking it wasn't hide so it would have been a bonus if it was tho. I pulled a jacket out of my wife's closet that she found a while back which fits her and it's half the size of mine and weighs 20x as much, missing interior tags tho
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Color underneath the black is a light gray

14. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Oh yeah, forgot to post this. Vintage jr train tin toy.
    [​IMG]

15. double00

double00 Senior member

yesterday's kills:

[​IMG]
    Sawyer of Napa. minty nope - see that seam on the bottom left? aargh! but still fits perfect lol

[​IMG]
    Mint green IRL. Stedman Hi Cru 86. usually steer clear of local interest t's but this made me miss socal lol.

also, all cotton and very worn out so a keeper

[​IMG]
    lol. Old Screen Stars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Older Screen Stars. apparently these guys actually put worms in their shit lol. it's not tequila, people, it's mezcal!