The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Telling if a jacket is a Blazer/Sport Coat or if it's a Suit Jacket:
    If the wool is woven in a subtle weave such as birdseye, nailhead or sharkskin, it is a Suit jacket. If the wool is flat and slick and when bent and held to a light it nearly reflects, it is a Suit jacket. Pinstripes. If it has a pattern like POW, pencil thin large checks, windowpane, or a windowpane over a POW, however its subtle, meant for subtle differentiation and not statement making, it's a Suit Jacket. Lastly, if the jacket has a 3 button front closure and 4 button cuffs and may possess one of the previous qualities but your not quite sure, 99.9% of the time its a suit jacket. It's a Blazer if the cuffs have 3 buttons or less, it has extremely bold patterns, doesn't have a pants waist size on the manufacturer tag, as a fabric finish like hopsack or twill, has patch pockets (98% of the time), is made of cashmere blend or all cashmere (95% of the time), or has a fabric composition such as linen, silk, wool, it's a blazer. Also metal buttons are almost always a sign its a blazer. If it's unstructured its a blazer, if its self lined, it's a blazer. Overall Sport Coats are more substantial and less delicate if that makes sense...the drape differs, the fabric choice and cuts differ in thickness and finish. Also you'll often see a V shape formed by the 2 halves of the jacket under the bottom button when laid on its back, a sign it was Cut for a suit. Blazers, on their back laid flat, both sides will stay fairly true and straight....I think that pretty much does it..

ADVICE: When in question or doubt, put it back, it's a suit jacket.

2. COtoKS

COtoKS Senior member

Looks like I was at that store too early in the day yesterday - those HF suits weren't out yet.

Did grab a few things from that big dude's donation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grabbed this record grail at a different store

[​IMG]

and a pair of NHT 2.1 towers with matching center channel for $15 all in.

[​IMG]

Thought I hit the jackpot in the t-shirt section, but turns out the seller who has the red one listed is drunk. Still cool though.

MJ white glove Screen Stars hat trick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Literally the exact same, now only cash blends for Canali or I would have racks and racks of it. My list has one more addition though. Chester Barrie. Sucker for Chester Barrie, always grab it no matter what (unless an orphan). They're the English equivalent to Belvest.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015

4. winny94

winny94 Senior member

Not on the level on some of these finds lately, but the most useful things I've grabbed.
    [​IMG]
    All All-Clad, half unused, half vintage. All in killer condition. No idea what those two large pans on the back right are, so if anyone had input, I'd appreciate it.

5. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Killer score. Those look like dutch oven type things, used mostly for braising. I'm sure you could do many other things with them, though.

6. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

They be Dutch ovens. They also be..
    [​IMG]

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

8. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

9. double00

double00 Senior member

agree. please stop.

@Reosymes love your avatar [​IMG]

10. Shanejosephxxx

Shanejosephxxx Senior member

Had a big morning (for me) over you know where with my listings. Wouldn't be able to do it without everything I've learned from you guys. This thread is the best.

11. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Quote:Would you extend that same courtesy to 200 pound 41 year olds from Canada lol

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

@Reosymes @double00, why are the below users able to post "Available" freely? I'm sure I could find hundreds of other examples from this thread.

My items also came from eThrifts (ebay, etc.) so what difference does it make if I've owned them for awhile and am now posting?

13. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Are you located in Europe and want to trade stuff?

@Doomsticks and I mentioned the idea together. If you are interested, shoot me a PM and I'll keep you updated!

14. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

@jrd617 I agree that people do this all the time, I don't see it as a big deal, and it's generous to offer great stuff to the thread at presumably cheapskate thrifter peeps prices. Maybe you can just spoiler, so those annoyed won't have to scroll through so much real estate on those ginormous pics.

15. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Look, I'm not a mod. Do whatever you want. The people you mentioned are solid contributors to the thrift thread, you know, popping goodwill tags and such. You don't participate in this thread. Your post didn't even look like something that a regular would post. It looked like a copypasted B&S listing ('..from the thrift store that is my closet..' lol).

Again, I'm not a mod. I expressed my opinion that you're using this thread as yet another avenue for your B&S listings. Which goes against the spirit of the thread, imo.