• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takai

Reaction score
....is this like a joke or what, no comprendo
The non-suiting part of your paragraph pretty much perfectly describes one of my local shops.

Anne D

EG x2

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The non-suiting part of your paragraph pretty much perfectly describes one of my local shops.

Anne D

EG x2

Yea that's what I'm saying, I got 2 spots in town that you can walk in any given day and find Commes des Garcon, Yohji, Junya, Geller, Thom Browne etc.. but it's resale, not true thrift. The prices are still really good for the stuff, definetley not worth buying to sell, margins are way too small, but definitely amazing deals.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone remember Eric Glennie?

I actually found a few of his ties in thrift shops over the past several years. From what I recall he ended up getting his business off the ground and even had some local news anchors wearing his ties.

Necktie innovator nonpariel

Only one decent find recently. This is a thing, right @Nataku? No size tag, but seems like a small or medium. Minty and available.

Indeed it is. Nice pick-up! Great color, too. :slayer:

Takai

Reaction score
Yea that's what I'm saying, I got 2 spots in town that you can walk in any given day and find Commes des Garcon, Yohji, Junya, Geller, Thom Browne etc.. but it's resale, not true thrift. The prices are still really good for the stuff, definetley not worth buying to sell, margins are way too small, but definitely amazing deals.
This shop tends to get down to thrift levels or bellow, quite often mate. I hardly ever step foot in the resale shop in town, it's far too expensive.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This shop tends to get down to thrift levels or bellow, quite often mate. I hardly ever step foot in the resale shop in town, it's far too expensive.

FLIP can be good for some eBay fodder every now and then.

Takai

Reaction score
FLIP can be good for some eBay fodder every now and then.
It's funny, I've never actually bought anything from the men's side, and only sold through the women's side, but the owner knows me, and knows what I am in town. He, I, and most of the employees there run into each other often out and about.

They keep trying to get me to consign with them, but they just dont really have the appeal I want, and their terms are not so good.

va230815

Reaction score
Ended up going to three stores today. All available

straight black, 2 buttons, ff pants, thin lapels, size 40ish

Is this the more recent label? one is 100% cash, one is cash/wool combo

god damn orphan, but for $7, I had to get it
I left behind 4 recent Zegna orphans because they were striped or had some other obvious suiting pattern

First 2 are stiff as hell, acne studios is a thing right?

Had to leave behind 4 with stains

Ferragamo puppy with bowl pattern
recent Zegna
Cesare Casadonte (is this a thing?)

Christian Dior one side silk, other side wool?

I normally don't photograph missoni ties, but i love the colors

And lastly

Navy full length 100% cashmere Neiman Marcus overcoat with LP cash, paid up for this cuz I might keep it

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick stop while out running errands; no clothing, grabbed a couple books tho:

Punk book is cool, not worth anything. The other book is this one:

...two other copies are active right now - one is $179, the other is $325. Not bad for $2.92 + tax.

Probably the coolest thing I discovered this week:
After I got home I went to look them up on eBay, and found that the barcode scanner on the eBay app does a good job of finding matches (assuming the same item is listed or had been recently ended on eBay, that it had a barcode, and that the seller entered the barcode in their listing).
Next time I'm in GW I'm gonna run up & down the book aisles, scanning barcodes for a while - see if I get any good hits.

Takai

Reaction score
After I got home I went to look them up on eBay, and found that the barcode scanner on the eBay app does a good job of finding matches (assuming the same item is listed or had been recently ended on eBay, that it had a barcode, and that the seller entered the barcode in their listing).
Next time I'm in GW I'm gonna run up & down the book aisles, scanning barcodes for a while - see if I get any good hits.
There are a couple of people that do this at the local used media depot. All day, every day, and come out with boxes of books

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are a couple of people that do this at the local used media depot. All day, every day, and come out with boxes of books

I saw a dude doing it at my local GW, but he had a separate attchment that did the scanning...probably a more thorough thinger that also searched ABE, Amazon etc. I had used the stand-alone scanner from Red Laser but was not impressed with it. Can probably find a paid app that does wider searches - gonna look into that. Would be well worth it...unless you know of a good one to try?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's a lady who does this that frequents my local shops. She brings a portable stool and two carts. Gets to the book isle, dumps an entire shelf of books into one cart. Then the process begins. She unfolds the stool right in the middle of the isle, sits down and starts to scan the books from the cart. "Bonk!" "Bonk" "Bonk" "Ding!" "Bonk!" "Ding!" "Bonk!" "Bonk!" "Bonk!". That's all you can hear.

I am assuming "Bonk" means bad and "Ding" means good.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I saw a dude doing it at my local GW, but he had a separate attchment that did the scanning...probably a more thorough thinger that also searched ABE, Amazon etc. I had used the stand-alone scanner from Red Laser but was not impressed with it. Can probably find a paid app that does wider searches - gonna look into that. Would be well worth it...unless you know of a good one to try?

I seen this in pretty much every store I frequent. Hit up the classical music CDs while you got the scanner out--some rare sets can fetch thousands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads