The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

John Nordstrom comes through with some of the hottest blazers, yours included... it's so frustrating that even with 100% LP cash there's almost no market cuz I come across them daily.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015

2. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

Random question. Did Gitman used to make the USA made Burberry shirts? Found one today too beat to buy, but I could have sworn the tags looked like Gitman instead of Hickey.

3. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Yes...

4. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

nvm

5. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

Thank you sir. Thought I was crazy for a minute

6. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Dunno how this is gonna stand up to what may be to come but it's something. Worked til 6, with only an hour break for the gym, couldn't take it, needed to thrift. At 6 options are limited and I've dried up my go tos for the next couple of days so I drove to an area I don't normally hit and hit what was open.....The following is kinda random shit you don't really see from me, some isn't though.

Vtg wimminz Christian Dior frames made in Austria
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Vtg Oliver Peoples (Fucking POP) in gold and the frame they basically invented
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

RetroSuperFuture
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Giorgio Armani
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

One spot had a ridiculous amount of ties all for a buck, so I grabbed everyone that could get me 20-25 on the bay but I won't bother you with all that, here's two, the Canali is nice.
    [​IMG]

Almost brand new AEs with tassle and braided leather detailing
    [​IMG]

Cheaney for Church's Royal Tweed Custom Grade penny loafers
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gorgeous blue wool twill blazer I came across that I needed to buy, from a shop in BH, pics do no justice
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice Canali blazer I picked up, you can't see but the windowpane is shadowed in blue, its a really nice pattern
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Giorgio of Beverly Hills, the most famous boutique Rodeo Drive ever had, 100% Cashmere by Belvest
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Very Rare, Cordings of Picadilly London POP (Thread Pop?)...anyway gorgeous tweed with a green and red rust windowpane
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Perhaps my favorite. Vtg (Pristine) Dark Navy Velvet Dinner jacket with a diamond like weave and a grossgrain shawl collar by Alan Flusser for Saks Fifth
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bullshit licensed years shitty Givenchy jacket....however those gold buttons with the Givenchy logo? they go for like 80 a set, ill be choppin those off shortly
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BB 1818 SaXXon Madison Navy Blue by Southwick
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ermenegildo Zegna Trofeo suit
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And it's slightly younger brother, Ermenegildo Zegna navy blue pinstriped Trofeo suit
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Maybe I'll go out at night more often..

EDIT: The Oliver Peoples was thrift pop, not life, I'm like 10 pairs deep from the boutique, only glasses I wear.

7. double00

double00 Senior member

^^^ i find that some spots restock at night, yielding dibs aplenty. some of my favorite things were found after 8 pm!

8. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Recent finds...

I don't know the brand and search results naturally show Royal Air Force links. Some of the quilting has come undone, but nothing terrible. Available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Armpit to armpit: 57.5cm
    Shoulders: 44.5cm
    Length: 68cm

Next two are awesome, but my wife claimed they smelled like an old man. I smell pipe tobacco. It's possible those two aren't mutually exclusive, either way, it would likely come out. Other than that, great condition. Both wool, both made in England. Available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Measurements:
    Armpit to armpit: 56.5cm
    Sleeves: 54cm
    Shoulders: 57.5cm
    Length: 70cm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Armpit to armpit: 54.5cm
    Sleeves: 65/69.5cm (rolled/unrolled)
    Shoulders: 48cm
    Length: 69cm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

The suiting (aka fabric) is usually extremely nice. Unfortunately I find the fit and cut is usually not so great, at least on me. And it seems like a lot of folks agree, because you're right -- there's next to no market.

10. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Sorry man gonna be a day or two

11. Letric

Letric Senior member

I wouldn't exactly say there's next to no market on JWN / Loro Cashmere SC's. In my experience they can take a little longer to sell than Zegna or w/e, but they still have good value if you know what to get. Recent JWN / Loro with a bold pattern is insta-kop for me. The bolder the pattern, the more valuable. I've actually only seen 2 or 3 in the wild with nice patterns, so I will say that the good sellable ones are somewhat rare. The last one I sold had a nice Blue / Brown plaid, and if I recall correctly it sold for $90 after about 60 days. Not a bad pickup for $7 or w/e I paid.

With regards to solid colored JWN / Loro cashmere SC's, or older models... I generally leave those. Those still have some value, but they seem to take much longer to sell. I will also say that I've handled some of the current JWN Signature Cashmere SC's, and they're pretty damn nice for what they are. The newer ones have nice pick stitched lapels, slightly better cuts, better details and they have those little fabric flaps sewn under the collar lol. I was surprised to see that they were US made too. Hoping to see some of those at the thrifts soon.

I own 1 really nice JWN Signature Black / Brown checked SC made with 100% Loro cashmere, and I love it. Thrifted that last year for $15. I actually find myself wearing that more than most other SC's I have mainly due to the pattern and comfortable fit... And I have Brioni, LB x Attolini, Zegnas, etc to choose from. Yeah the fit is a little boxy, but for us bigger dudes that's not really a bad thing. I generally wear 46L, and the SC I have is 44L and fits very well. I would like it to have more "handwork" and finer details, but it serves very well as a "Nice SC that looks expensive and fancy, but isn't really". If it gets fucked up, it's not a huge deal.

So yeah... in general I don't pickup most JWN's, but there ARE some pretty nice ones out there that are sellable / nice to wear. They shouldn't be totally left out. [​IMG]

Time for sleep. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015

12. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

was me last night

[​IMG]

:thumbs-up:

13. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Thats been me with this heat no energy.

14. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Go into a store. Buy 2 5 hour energies and some water. Drink both energies immediately, bring water in store... Then thrift.... I thrift like I work for the post office, except they don't work Sundays....plus Grails are scientifically proven to prevent heat stroke.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015

15. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Forgot that I picked this up at a discount store. They had a few different types, but I really liked this one. If anyone's interested, I could proxy something similar (this was the last weird-looking dog). Beechwood stick, lucite horn:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]