The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. sashae

sashae Senior member

In the end I don't care -- I truly do know better, after years of flea markets and bike swaps and the like, just surprised! I suppose I shouldn't be -- NY thrifts are rich in goods, but also rich in customers.

2. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

A quick tip that i'm sure everyone here learned early on. Never put back clothing onto the rack.

Shit gets snatched quick

3. sashae

sashae Senior member

Robert Graham shirts are heinously ugly anyway ;P

4. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Awesome! I picked one up just last week with the same tags and everything! I'm glad they're worth so much!

Not srs

5. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

means more $$$

6. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

...as the guy with the 25 shirts casually paid for his haul and walked outside to his waiting Ferrari.

7. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Was up all night working, then early this morning was right back at it, I needed a break, and that just means get in my car and hit a spot or two. So I did.

Brioni Gingham mint and a Carroll and Co I kinda liked and then saw it's made by Bruli so it was worth the 4 bucks

[​IMG]

I have a weird thing for super heavy wool twill trousers. Now I finally own a pair with half lined leather pockets and waistband adjusters
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This first item was a shot in the dark, cheap enough to take the risk. It's Dunhill seemingly post the Zegna days, but before the Caruso days. Tag just says made in England, so I don't know what to think.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The power of the dollar won out here. For what it's worth, it's in absolute mint condition, like worn once, and it's a 3 piece that isn't bad looking. But the bay was the one in control here.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

J.Crew Ludlow made of Crespi Italian woven cotton. Pristine condition
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To step it up a little we got a BBGF Navy blue with a shadow stripe suit, made in USA by Mr. Greenfeild. (this had a pinstriped brother behind it but the pants were nowhere to be fucking found)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Take it up a little higher we got this piece right here. MTM 50% wool 50% Cash blue windowpane triple patch pocket blazer
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A little higher and we got a navy suit with a pencil thin, nearly cobalt blue pinstripe, also MTM
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And to top it off we got a staple navy blue 2 button 70/30 (or something) Wool/Silk Issey Miyake Suit in excellent condition.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Solid hour spent.

8. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

I have not read it. But, I have had several people tell me about all the bad things about Atticus in it. From what I have heard, it has really bombed and a lot of people are upset, not only about the change in Atticus, but also that the book is really a rough draft not a finished manuscript. Some of the things I have read about Atticus (as written in this new book) would be pretty accurate for any southern professional man at the time. He didn't join the Klan, but he joined a group that, unfortunately, shared some of the same ideals of the Klan. I am suspicious of the book -- as are MANY Mockingbird fans. For me, Atticus will be always be a hero for me. His argument to the Jury when defending Tom is something every lawyer should read and see. Just like all true heroes, Atticus isn't as simple as he first appears. But, this book won't tarnish my image of him as a literary hero.

Here he is on my office wall (played by Gregory Peck) getting ready to deliver his argument.

[​IMG]

AND across the room is the Movie Poster.

[​IMG]

I'm enough of a fan that I am not distressed by this new book especially given its suspicious creation.

9. aging in rhythm

aging in rhythm Senior member

Picked up 8 like new Turnbull and Asser ties

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GREN! EDIT- not actually gren
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beautifully iridescent, hard to capture
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two Battistonis

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two T.M. Lewins

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A Paul Smith Shirt, size 42
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Surgeon Cuff'd Ermagherd Zegna 3/2 size 40
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

10. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Woa, aren't you like 7'5"?! So, your bestie is what? 7'3.5"?!

Dude, bro, we all hate it but having a kart sometimes really helps. I never leave shit on the racks. I always grab them and even when my hands are full, I take them to a kart.

Depending on how I feel, I would challenge him on that. That was a dick move on his part.

11. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Mockingbird, one of my all-time faves in books & film.

I went to the one-day-only theater showing of the "restored print" (digital transfer beamed into theaters nationwide) a couple years ago, and there were maybe 6 other people in the theater...some creepy dude sat down right next to me and asked "Do you mind?"...and what does one say - "Yes I do mind"...? So I spent the next 20 minutes leaning as far as possible in the opposite direction and was totally distracted, just thinking about his decision to sit next to a stranger in a dark theater that was almost empty. I guess I gave off a vibe because he left the theater and never came back in. Fucking weirdo ruined the experience for me.

12. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

There's been times where I've forgotton the cart and hit runs that left me with my hands so full that I am unable to carry anymroe and I have shit spilling on the floor, but do I relinquish position and grab a cart? Naw I just gently scoot the shit on the floor along with me until my work is done. Never ever stop until you've finished that row or section, no matter what.

13. vexco

vexco Senior member

If they're not in his cart, I'm not leaving them on the rack. Regardless of the day. This is like me flipping through shirts, a dude walking by me and flipping like 10 shirts down then trying to fight me when I reach the shirts he's looking at because I'm "too close to him". FUUUUUUUUUUCK that.

14. double00

double00 Senior member

LOL

half of me is like "nope. you did not do that" and the other half is like "hey, we should totally hang out sometime!"

15. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

@barrelntrigger youre gonna like this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ironhearts POP
    [​IMG]