The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. OolongT

OolongT Senior member

Kickin' it old school:

Cliff Engle
    [​IMG]

Hilfiger USA
    [​IMG]

Polo
    [​IMG]

WWF Shawn Michaels All Over
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gucci Wallet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vintage Beaded Purse
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Good deal. It's actually the sweater I'm wearing here:

[​IMG]

I think I've mentioned it a time or two before now, but it's probably the most prized and coolest of my second-hand finds. I bought it at the estate sale of a widow who'd been somewhere in her late 90's when she passed. According to the auctioneer, the sweater belonged to her late husband, who'd passed away ~10 years prior at the age of something like 102. He'd attended UGA and lettered in football while he was there and (the auctioneer claimed) this was the original letterman's sweater he'd been given at graduation. I did buy this about a year and a half ago, so the exact numbers might be off a smidge, but I'm fairly sure they're in the right range.

If anyone has any way of verifying those dates or the history, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'm just looking to get it touched up and ready for another century of use. I like to think the original owner would appreciate his sweater being owned by another letterman and still being to tote a flask of bourbon to a tailgate or keep a pretty young lady warm in the fourth quarter, but I'm a bit of a romantic. Anyway, here's those pictures you asked for:

The sweater cardigan:

[​IMG]

Loose buttonholes:

[​IMG]

Probably 6-10 minor repairs like these:

[​IMG]

~12-18 small, unrepaired holes like these:

[​IMG]

The one really large hole, on the inside of a cuff:

[​IMG]

What's left of the tag:

[​IMG]

3. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

That's fucking awesome RR. No idea on repairs, but thats a cool piece

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Oh, yeah yeah. Didn't mean to suggest otherwise. It's just like a BWM M3 in a sea of Veyrons. Good stuff in isolation, but a bit out of its depth in that crowd.

5. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

@ReubenR I had a vintage knit with a dozen or so holes. Took it to a re-weaver but ended up just having him mend the holes for much cheaper. Turned out great and you can't even notice the repairs (but it was dark navy so YMMV).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015

6. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

For what it's worth, I think it would look cool with noticeably repaired holes. Gives it some character and makes it stand out a bit. Obviously up to Rueben, but it is one way to go.

7. double00

double00 Senior member

@ReubenR

well, i guess we'll keep this on-thread:

i assume a reknitter would charge an arm and a leg for 2 dozen moth holes and some larger damage.

imo a few things need to happen:

1 - make sure there's no more larvae around and

2 - reknit the smaller holes with a matching yarn. most of the time what they would do is find yarn from somewhere in the garment (like maybe shorten the cuff ribbing or hem or something). no way i would do that cause you need too much yarn and you'd probably have to give up too much material. if it were me i'd find or make a similar yarn in a matching dye cause a bunch of contrast nibbles seems weird to me... you'll likely still see em cause you have to inevitably double over yarn at the edges of the repair but it shouldn't be too noticeable.

3 - you can reknit the larger holes as well, using a matching yarn or a contrast yarn

or

you can also clean and stabilize the holes from running or getting any bigger and then again, either find or make a patch from some color that you like that stands out from the original. i wouldn't use woven material at all, i'd stick with a knit patch in wool and just apply em so it looks repaired and cool. that's just me.

imo woven patches could work too but the knit will forever "pull" at those spots, so it's a matter of taste i guess.

were it me, i'd use both reknitting and knit patches depending on location and feel, i'd do this myself, and let the wabi-sabi happen. after all that i'd make sure to store that mofo properly so no moths can find it lol. nice sweater and good luck amigo!

8. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

I definitely agree, plus I don't want to try and undo the repairs done by a previous owner.

Might as well keep it on-thread, seems at least semi-relevant and there's bound to be at least a few people who'll find this useful in the future. As far as the moths go, I don't want to risk having it dry-cleaned until I'm confident that won't make the pre-existing damage worse. I did, however, park my car in the summer sun for a couple days with it inside (covered and out of direct sunlight, of course).

I'm not sure trying to reknit the holes is an option for anyone short of an actual profession though. This knitting is incredibly small, tight and dense, as small or smaller than many of my socks and polos. Looks like something in the 16/inch or 384/square inch? Anyway, would something like the combo darning/stitching shut used for previous repairs be a decent option:

[​IMG]

I'd also kinda concluded that a felted wool patch was the best option for the larger hole, especially at a high-wear area like the cuff. If I can't get a good match in the reds, I think a medium-dark heathered grey would look nice. Maybe I can drive up to Tennessee and have @Takai repair it for me and add decretive kitty-kat bulldog stitching? [​IMG]

9. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

If you're into magical realism / melancholy surrealism read it.

I've rewoven a lot of sweaters by hand. The larger the gauge of the knit, the easier it is to do cleanly. The quotes I've gotten for multiple repairs are outrageous considering after a little practice you can patch up a couple holes while catching up on an episode of whatever.

10. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

My username is from a Link Wray album. I have never played guitar or spoke the gospel.

11. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Why my user name? Actually, in the very first opening credits. to Star Wars, it says "A long time ago, in a Galaxy far, far away" . Which pretty much sums up just how far apart my "Thrifts" are from a Goodwill and Savers.

Really like an entirely Different Galaxy.with it's own set of rules. And this Galaxy is all mine.

-Any correlation to my affinity for Black suits/SC's, often unpredictable temper, and negotiation skills is completely unfounded. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

12. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Sweet pop, bro!

The Cinese character on the bottom says "Lei" which means storm in a very cartoony style. The second sets of characters says "Beautiful women like jade." I don't think they are worth much though.

I wish I could say I'm big into guns which I'm not all that into them. I've yet to kop a XDM which is the model I've always wanted. Or if I can kop a cheap Glock 19, I would. Anyhow, my friend and I were going to make a T-shirt line and call it Barrel'n Trigger. But that never happened. So, I took the name.

Dude, bro, I've always thought your handle meant you wore gauges in your ear lobes and the size you were at was double zero.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I get it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oolong
    Never would have taken you for a Clamp fan.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

not much at all. i understand it when i hear it and can order food or clothes in other countries, but thats about it.

14. Letric

Letric Senior member

That's all you need! [​IMG]

15. dhazard

dhazard Well-Known Member

Okay, so here is a haul from the past couple of weeks. Shout out to @Ken P for going out with me and helping me find some of these goodies this past weekend.

Let us begin with sport coats:

Gorgeous NWT David Chu, 3-2 roll, dual vented. 44 L

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

J Press Corduroy SC. She screams Autumn. 42 R

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Womens Jil Sander, super shiny, linen and silk blazer. 38

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

INDOCHINO windowpane. I was impressed with the construction of this thing, given its country of origin. Surgeons Cuffs and all. Measures to be about a 42.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gant "The Rugger" bomber sweatshirt. Not in the best condition, but it seemed more modern for its time, so I kopped. Medium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shirts:

BB Purple gingham, extra slim fit. 15.5/32

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RL Rugby green mens plaid shirt. Small.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rugby womens shirt dress. Medium.