The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Nooooo I like that nostalgic look. It's a conversation starter. Love it.

2. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

As someone who wears vintage Florsheims every week, I have an opinion on the V Cleats. If you are planning to keep them for yourself and not sell them, then take the V Cleat out or get new heels. I have busted my ass wearing those damn things WAY too many times. Its not only about falling, I scratched the snot out of a wood floor with a pair of mine. If you are going to sell them, don't touch the V Cleat. Two identical pairs of Florsheims one with the V Cleat and one without, will sell for much different prices. Many people will pay extra for shoes that have V Cleats.

It really is not an exaggeration about how slippery they can be. Wherever you work, I bet the bathroom has a tile or concrete floor, you don't want to be found knocked unconscious in the shitter.

3. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

...again, I'll keep the v's in...I have 'been had' owned a pair for years now. I know how they operate and I know how I want to keep them. I know what surfaces they suck on and I know what surfaces they will scratch and ruin. Although, I must admit, being found knocked out face down in poo because of some shoes would suck [​IMG]

4. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Done, and while they might not be cowboy boots I've definitely ridden horses in these Justins:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thrifted tie, shirt, boots. Suit, not so much.

5. Nobleprofessor

I know how you feel. I have not taken mine off. But, I have slipped and crashed a few times.

Earlier this summer, my wife and I were at an estate sale in a house built in the 20's. The stairs were a little steep and they were sort of small for big feet. As I was going down the stairs, I slipped. I went up in the air and crashed down about 6 feet below half way down the staircase and slid all the way down. I landed right on my back just above my butt. Hurt like hell. But, I had to shake it off because I was so embarassed. I had a black bruise in the shape of a rectangle about 2.5 inches tall ALL the way across my back. The funny thing was my wife was in basement and when something crashed, she thought to herself I hope my husband didn't knock something over! Then, some lady walked into the basement and told someone, "Some big fella just crashed down the stairs." My wife said she knew it was me!

6. Woofa

Woofa Senior member

So glad that they ended up fitting you well. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the yellow one cleans up nice and spiffy.

7. freehand

freehand Senior member

"you don't want to be found knocked unconscious in the shitter. "

It's funny cos it's true.

8. Nobleprofessor

The yellow one unfortunately was just a little too small. But, it is nice! If it cleans up, I might have it altered.

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Reubenr: killer suit. Cool decor. Not how I pictured you.

10. Nobleprofessor

Anyone know much about Bowling Patches? I went to an estate sale today and bought a shitload of them.

I tried to organize them. From left to right I divided them up by decades if they had a date.

On the left is the 1950's, 60's 70's and the two columns with more in them are from the 80's and 90's.

[​IMG]

The details are spoilered:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't want to spoiler this one since its Home to @drlivingston

[​IMG]

Then, there was a big group that weren't dated (except a few i missed).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think there are about 125 total.

Im guessing this is a thread first. It is not technically a brag yet. I am still thinking about it. But, I am 95% sure I am going to go back and buy this.

Its a complete engine and transmission from a 1942 Cadillac. Its a flathead V8.

I'm going to make it into a coffee table!

Just kidding. I have a friend who may be able to help me sell it at one of those old car swap meets. One sold on ebay for $1500. If I could get this to run (even run badly), it would be worth a lot more.

[​IMG]

Also found 4 of the old glass bottled of Old Spice (2 are full, the other one says it has after shave talcum in it).

11. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Oh no dude! Omg that's terrible, yes, they are deadly. Makes you wonder, why? Why did they see this as a useful option??

12. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

"Rat rod" guys will want this. sell as is, or clean it up. for even more money. cool find! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  13. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

Don't worry I've been to them. No designer stuff. Overpriced target brand crap. Saw Walmart clothing there. Not missing much. There good stuff goes online.

14. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Always interesting when someone you know but haven't actually met posts a picture. Expectations and reality can be quite the mismatch. Then again, did you miss my nipple pic from early in this thread's history? It's my first (and only) thread first!
    [​IMG]

And this is one of my favorites, brown-bagging at a tailgate in a sweater as old or older than my grandfather. Might explain the decor, too:

[​IMG]

Anyway, cheers!

[​IMG]

15. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

DO NOT DONATE TO GOODWILL, they are for profit and do not benefit the drug addicts and disabled they hire as much as hiring them benefits them. there is a ton of charitable thrifts that actually use donations to help people, I donate to "African alliance" they give furniture, clothes and financial assistance to refugee's and I have seen firsthand how much it helps. Goodwill I wish the worst on for taking peoples shit for free and marking up all the trash crazy high, then throw all the true vintage in the trash. Most people perceive goodwill as a non-profit and they assume they do a lot more for folks than they do. Anytime I get a chance I tell folks not to give goodwill money or donations, they are a true thrifters enemy, spread that around, even salvation army is better but not by much, they at least cap off the money the executives make below 6 digits, and they run programs to get people out of addiction, and offer shelter to battered women etc. Folks in charge of goodwill are insanely rich due to benefiting of people's naive perception of them. I considered making this message a part of my sig i feel so strongly about it. I know people who have been involved in these organizations and I read up on stuff, im not talking out my ass.