The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. va230815

va230815 Senior member

Nothing spectacular, but still will help pay some bills. As always, available

Apparently these are a thing?
    [​IMG]
    38R Holland & Holland x 2

[​IMG]
    Fits like a 42R

[​IMG]
    NWT Holland Holland M, Armani Collezioni S

[​IMG]
    Holland Holland x 3, Mediums
    Top to bottom, sweater vest, silk/cashmere long sleeve polo, wool sweater

[​IMG]
    Apparently this is a thing

[​IMG]
    43-44R BB country club with LP, BBGF houndstooth windowpane silk/wool blazers

[​IMG]
    L VV (pink, not orange)

[​IMG]
    Good ole RG

[​IMG]
    43-44/38-39 2 x BB suits

[​IMG]
    BBGF shirt

[​IMG]
    43-44/38-39 BB suit

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  2. klay49

klay49 Senior member

Found a holland and holland tweed field jacket awhile back...sold for over 400

3. double00

double00 Senior member

whoops... i've seen that label very recently, wish i could remember where...

oh well. live and learn [​IMG]

4. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Speaking of Tweed, what would you call these patterns.

This first almost looks like herringbone, but it's different.

[​IMG]

This next one looks like houndstooth from a distance, but the blocks don't have a toothy edge. They are just blocks.

[​IMG]

5. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

First looks herringbone to me, second is barleycorn I think.

6. Letric

Letric Senior member

I really prefer Zegna. Their latest ties are constructed so perfectly, and they tie beautifully. Their tips are always nice and square... not askew, and their edges have a good roll. They have such a wide range of patterns and colors too. Everything from stripes, dots, geometrics, florals, paisleys, textured solids, raw silks, cashmeres and wools... I think the only thing I haven't seen from Zegna yet is just plain Garza Grossa Grenadine. I've seen 1 fabric that was very much like a Garza Fina, but not "True" Grenadine. I think they'll offer Grenadine soon. I also like the latest ties from Canali, Talbott, Isaia, Kiton, Massimo Bizzochi and Luciano Barbera.

I've found that my taste in ties has changed drastically from when I first started thrifting and getting "into" clothing. I used to just get what I thought were the "high quality" ties like Talbott BOC, Ike Behar, XMI Platinum, Zegna, Canali, etc... Only the thickest, woven silk ornates and geometrics I could find. I was collecting them mostly because I thought they had value, but I appreciated the look and feel of a select few. They weren't exactly things I would have worn. They were more suit ties, and I'm not really a businessman who wears suits often.

Things changed over time, and I grew to sort of dislike those "suit ties". I found them to be sort of dated... from that "Corporate" era of 2000 - 2008. Ties like that just aren't classic and versatile, and I stopped buying the majority of them. I still buy the higher value ones for resale of course, but not for personal collecting. I've actually thinned out my collection quite a bit in the past 2 years... Taking out many of those "suit ties" and adding in more classics like pindots, solids, textured, etc. I really appreciate building up a good wardrobe, and having very versatile items that work well.... But I still like having those "FU" Paisleys that I can bust out with a suit at anytime. [​IMG]

Those Y-3's... I picked them up and looked em over, but yeah they wanted too much for em. I'm not really too much into those "designer" brands anyways. It's hard to tell what's fake with some of that... and the market seems so varied. I also picked up and examined that Lanvin shirt lol... It has a nice pattern and aesthetic, but I've never dealt with Lanvin and have no idea if that stuff is valuable.

Yeah things around here have been a bit slow... When I went out the other night, and didn't see jack shit, I was like "Ah damn, that 2ndhandman was already here and cleaned everything out." But apparently not... Them stores are just a bit dry. Guess that gives me more reason to stay home and work on listings -__-. [​IMG]

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Herringbone and Two & Two

8. double00

double00 Senior member

^^^ first one is broken herringbone. no i'm not joking that's a thing.

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

10. Nobleprofessor

It doesn't look like traditional herringbone. With the slanting lines going opposite directions like a typical herringbone. Its almost like a diamond shape.

Hey! Maybe that is what it is called?

11. Nobleprofessor

Nice pipe on the window ledge.

12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Would love a guide to patterns for tweeds / woolens, well as plaids / checks...if anyone knows an all-encompassing site or source. Some, I come across so infrequently that I forget what it is the next time I see it. Like, I'd never have remembered two and two...

13. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

This is the best I can do. Got it from someone here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxaV-dv008AJcEJGUDZJcUxseGM/view?usp=sharing

14. double00

double00 Senior member

+1 on a pattern guide. Doubt it all exists in one place unless you count google.

For instance, most states have a state tartan (cali and nm are badass) but I doubt you'd find the pattern images anywhere except wikipedia

15. Tony Pea

Tony Pea Well-Known Member

Sweet
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Is this a thang? Its super soft and feels well made. Resale on some other items seems reasonable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]