Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. bpk1

bpk1 Senior member

Looks like it to me. Nice!!

2. double00

double00 Senior member

i was making 2 different comments: the made in italy label came up on this thread a few days ago, i can't remember who found it tho [​IMG]

and

the black crossstitching on black ground (on the couture label) is superbadass [​IMG] [​IMG]

ya dig? nice find!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015

3. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Aaah OK lol.
    But wait still a bit confused,the cross stitching is white...
    But I get what you said about the Made label

4. double00

double00 Senior member

lol

no, it's black! it's just hard to see cause it's stealth and badass! look directly under the COUTURE amigo!

lol

who's on first?

5. double00

double00 Senior member

6. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

I'm gonna light up a doobie and call it a night,frenchy oooouuutt.

7. Letric

Letric Senior member

I have a POS Nokia flip phone, that's about 1.5" thick. Circa 2007. Not even joking. It's a reliable phone to use for calls and texting sometimes, and the battery lasts about 3-4 days... But damn it's un-cool, and yeah I need that internet and eBay app. Thinking about an LG G3 soon... Then I'll be @1ofTheCoolKids lmao. That username is perfect in this sentence. [​IMG]

I'm a bit scared that I'll become one of those "Phone People" though... Who's always swiping crap around, always staring at it... taking it out in restaurants. Must RESIST!

8. vexco

vexco Senior member

I'm tryna get on his thrifting level.

9. freehand

freehand Senior member

For what it's worth I'd also like it Wes if you stopped posting responses to questions like this with this kind of shit.

10. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Anyone know what this might be? I've exhausted my Google-Fu. Got it at a church rummage sale last week. Best case scenario, I don't think it's anything too crazy. Just can't figure out where this came from.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Senior member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by My Main Man [​IMG]

Anyone know what this might be? I've exhausted my Google-Fu. Got it at a church rummage sale last week. Best case scenario, I don't think it's anything too crazy. Just can't figure out where this came from.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231310066682 ?

Christmas at the White House 1978. Nice!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015

12. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Thanks! This is actually pretty cool. Found this:

Several months later, while wandering through the White House furnishings warehouse looking for unused furniture and paintings, Mrs. Carter came across a hand-colored engraving of a photograph of the White House by L.E. Walker. The engraving was originally featured in an 1877 edition of Harper’s Weekly, depicting guests in horse-drawn carriages arriving at the North Portico of the Executive Mansion. The First Lady was so impressed with the engraving that she decided to use it for the official White House Christmas cards of that year.

In 1978, the Carters commissioned American Greetings Corporation to produce their Christmas cards. American Greetings printed 60,000 White House Christmas cards, each adorned with the Presidential Seal and the imprint, “With best wishes from our family for a happy holiday season.” The President and Mrs. Carter also had 5,100 Christmas gift prints made using the same Walker engraving. By September, an additional 40,000 Presidential Christmas cards were requested from American Greetings. The White House Correspondence Office had to enlist volunteers from all over Washington just to help address, stuff, and stamp each of the 100,000 Christmas cards

13. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Senior member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpooPoker [​IMG]

+1 for working with your wife and thrifting with your wife

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpooPoker [​IMG]

its two extra hands to put something in the cart as well
    add a kid and its 4

jussayin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drlivingston [​IMG]

My wife is forbidden from shopping with me until she can cure her eBay re-seller Tourette's Syndrome. There is nothing more disturbing than being in a consignment store trying to be inconspicuous about checking prices on my phone, only to have your wife ask you from across the store about how much something would sell for on eBay. [​IMG]

Love Love Love thrifting with the family. My spouse finds lots of great stuff. My oldest kid can pick out good stuff as well as look at everything for holes and tears. The youngest is learning quick. Both my kids follow with shopping carts. The last time out one kid had the cart for the "nice" stuff while the other had the cart for the rest.

My oldest also tries to get the profit from items she finds, and sometimes she gets it. "Dad, has that jacket I found sold yet?"

14. ahk11

ahk11 Senior member

If you're vacationing at VA Beach (a few short miles away from where I live) don't waste your time trying to thrift in the area. It really is a barren wasteland.

15. DanM

DanM Senior member

This. My daughter stalks the toy section looking for Legos for herself, or American Girl dolls and accessories to flip. My wife called me from a shop as I was leaving work, and casually asked if a cashmere vest by Loro Piana was a good buy at $19.99. Thrifting with a team is awesome.