Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

What exactly is the protocol for a pop? Some folks have posted, "this is a pop for me" Or other uses I can't remember.

Is a pop just something cool that an individual poster has never found before?

Or a grail item that the poster has been looking for?

By the way @Woofa i wasn't calling you out on the use of the word, your post just reminded me that I have been meaning to ask.

2. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

We all have this master list that ranges from shell cordovan to vicuna running through our heads. Were all just slowly checking those off as we find them.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yes

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

EPIC FAMILY RELATED ANNOUNCEMENT!

My wife just came into the room kinda excitedly,

after months of trying.....

I finally convinced her to go thrifting with me all day this Saturday!!!!!!

AND....

THERE WILL BE WAFFLES INVOLVED for breakfast!! As well as the best Gyros money can buy for lunch.!!!!

Carry-on

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015

5. Hypetrain

Hypetrain Well-Known Member

Mwahahah! You have corrupted another soul! Its always fun to get someone thrifting XD

6. Hypetrain

Hypetrain Well-Known Member

There is no definition. When a "Pop" happens, you will feel it in your spirit.

7. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Great condition AE boardroom
    [​IMG]

8. TexJake

TexJake Senior member

@Nobleprofessor I also found an "Authentic Regimental" tie today (synergy!!) and thought it was interesting that it would be labelled as such. I was disappointed that it did not define which group it represented, but I figured those who would recognize it would know, and not many others would care...

Although as I understand it, it's pretty insulting or uncouth to wear one that you are not affiliated with...

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

i remember that feeling

i think that was $16,000 ago

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

She goes out with me to a couple stores here and there, but never all day. (Technically she is taking 1.5 hours out to take a yoga class at a friends studio in that thrift loop area, but still) 8AM-4PM is a huge accomplishment.

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I believe that patch is called a "cookie"? Either way, I sold a very similar hat for $50 last week at auction. Probably way undersold it as a cap with the same patch as mine was up for BIN at $250 and had watchers.
    I've seen their stuff before. Not bad at thrift prices but doesn't have the following or command the same prices as vintage North Face, Class 5 or Camp 7 stuff does. Great for personal use, though. That was right around the era that many companies were starting to outsource (mainly to Korea or Thailand), so Made in USA is a plus too.
    Congrats man. Convincing my wife to go thrifting with me is nearly impossible. The only time she ever goes thrifting with me is in LA, because she drives. She said sending me into LA on my own would be a suicide mission. I tend to agree with her on that.

12. eazye

eazye Senior member

[​IMG]

13. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

My wife goes with me every time. There have been a few times when she was busy and I went by myself. Oh boy, that was a fight. So, now we always go together. Once in the store she goes her way and I go mine. She buys and sells some weird stuff. You might be surprised what some people will pay for stuff on eBay. Well, this group wouldn't be surprised.

There have been a few times she wasn't up for more thrifting and I went by myself. But, estate sales are strictly prohibited areas for solo shopping.
    The fun thing is when we each find stuff the other one is looking for. But, sometimes we have to have serious negotiations when something that neither one of us has bought and we are both interested in.

We also work together. She is my paralegal.

14. dhazard

dhazard Well-Known Member

Is there a 'best t shirt find' contest going on? Because I think this just won...

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]
    +1 for working with your wife and thrifting with your wife