• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm too young to drink and I don't want to smoke, but lemme tell ya, this sounds pretty much perfect XD!
"what are you? some kind of nerd or somethin? all the cool kids are doing it"

signed,
15 year smoker who quit in April.

--Seriously though, don't ever smoke cigarettes. It's really expensive and quitting really is as hard as people describe.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Moving from the Midwest to Florida I quickly learned that I can't appreciate one season without the others. The 4 seasons are a condensed life cycle that everyone experiences as they age, and I think it gives you a subconscious perspective that I would have missed out on if I had grown up somewhere like Florida. We got married in Beaver Creek, CO in September of last year and one night on the way to dinner we were walking through Vail and passed a storefront window that had Halloween decorations on display. Everything was right - the temperature, the leaves had started to change, and his wave came over me sort of like smelling a fragrance and old girlfriend wore, and it instantly took me back to a time when different months of the year meant something new to experience and look forward to. I've lived in Florida for 6 years and have never felt that way. It's never Christmas here.
This has inspired a fit pic. will do when the leaves change. you have a way with words that warms the coldest parts of my mind. beautiful paragraph.

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Not even....and if they were an actual upscale place I wouldn't have gone in wearing the cap.  They're a used clothing store; they do not cater to the well-heeled, and they never will.  

I grimace when I see people wearing a tank top, shorts and flip-flops on an airplane and walk barefoot through security screening.  Maybe it's due to when I grew up at the tail-end of the golden age of flying, when it was still something of a big deal, but - I dunno what my point is...there's a time and a place to present yourself well and a used clothing store ain't it.

I didn't mean to imply that you were in the wrong in any way. :satisfied: I just immediately thought of that scene when I read the story. Hell, I get annoyed when I can't take my dog into a store, let alone when I can't wear a hat.

sashae

Reaction score
This actually begs a question for me -- what's the threshhold for picking up stuff like this? For example, that RL linen suit was around $100, and in seemingly great shape. Would folks buy or pass at that price? The Agnes B jacket was $40 so an obvious pickup, especially since it fit...

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Moving from the Midwest to Florida I quickly learned that I can't appreciate one season without the others. The 4 seasons are a condensed life cycle that everyone experiences as they age, and I think it gives you a subconscious perspective that I would have missed out on if I had grown up somewhere like Florida. We got married in Beaver Creek, CO in September of last year and one night on the way to dinner we were walking through Vail and passed a storefront window that had Halloween decorations on display. Everything was right - the temperature, the leaves had started to change, and his wave came over me sort of like smelling a fragrance and old girlfriend wore, and it instantly took me back to a time when different months of the year meant something new to experience and look forward to. I've lived in Florida for 6 years and have never felt that way. It's never Christmas here.

Lived in Florida my entire life until this year when I moved to Arkansas. Can't wait to see some seasons

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
^^^
For yourself? 60% (Max)

For helping others own the item? some say 10%. i say 30%. sell at 60% and claim the 30% in the middle.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Recent find...

Hadn't previously found this model.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As far as the discussion on seasons is concerned, my wife and I toyed with the idea of moving to Malta a few years ago. Fall and winter sound great in theory, but I hate them in reality. Fall is kind of like Sunday...it's fine because you can still get things done, but it signals something worse, Monday/winter. My wife always romanticizes winter with snow and Christmas, but I dislike the shoveling, the lack of color, the dark nights at 5:00pm, etc.

Having said that, we're on our way to fall as of last week. The newspaper declared summer to be over weather-wise, which has been fairly accurate. It's a 2-3 week time period of nothing. It's not hot, but it's not cold. Some trees begin to change color, but you still don't quite need a coat.

I'll certainly have a retirement home in a warm climate.

masaccio

Reaction score
One stop today only, and it yielded something I've been after all spring/summer; a Panama. More precisely a NWOB Dobbs Pork Pie Panama. Fits a little big 7 5/8 as opposed to my usual 7 3/8, but I'll deal.

I could provide a 7 5/8 head on which to rest that Panama, if need be.
biggrin.gif

Few fun finds, and a lot of more expensive stuff left behind. Will keep checking til it gets discounted!

PRL "Guaranteed to Wrinkle" linen 2-piece suit.
20505974560_a975fefdc5_b.jpg
Would love to see a full pic of that PRL Linen suit!

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As far as the discussion on seasons is concerned, my wife and I toyed with the idea of moving to Malta a few years ago. Fall and winter sound great in theory, but I hate them in reality. Fall is kind of like Sunday...it's fine because you can still get things done, but it signals something worse, Monday/winter. My wife always romanticizes winter with snow and Christmas, but I dislike the shoveling, the lack of color, the dark nights at 5:00pm, etc.

Having said that, we're on our way to fall as of last week. The newspaper declared summer to be over weather-wise, which has been fairly accurate. It's a 2-3 week time period of nothing. It's not hot, but it's not cold. Some trees begin to change color, but you still don't quite need a coat.

I'll certainly have a retirement home in a warm climate.

Your falls must be drastically different from ours. Midwest falls are a thing of beauty. I love nothing better than to step outside and feel the crisp air against my skin and take in the aroma of freshly fallen leaves. The hues a rich melange of browns and rusts and pea greens, much like the flecks of colors in the tweeds and knits I will be wearing.

Versace Guy

Reaction score
This actually begs a question for me -- what's the threshhold for picking up stuff like this? For example, that RL linen suit was around $100, and in seemingly great shape. Would folks buy or pass at that price? The Agnes B jacket was $40 so an obvious pickup, especially since it fit...
I would've passed on that PRL linen suit.

Most things above $30 in a thrift store would be a pass for me, because that means something that cost $30 will need to flip for $100 for it to worth my trouble since I use consignment.

But of course, if it fits, price would be less of a concern.

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be more than happy to pay $100 for a prl linen suit......for myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads