Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

Money shot

[​IMG]

2. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Did they pull one of these?

"They don't sell hot dogs here. They took the bleachers out three years ago.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3. colco

colco Senior member

I have heard it said that Zegna makes that line of J Banks. Though that label does not resemble any Zegna labels that I have seen before.

4. TexJake

TexJake Senior member

I know I've seen some Zegna labels on JAB before, but I don't remember if it was sig platinum... Cause that was my thought as well - this doesn't look like a Zegna tag (to me, although I am obviously not an authority on the subject...)

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

6. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Not even....and if they were an actual upscale place I wouldn't have gone in wearing the cap. They're a used clothing store; they do not cater to the well-heeled, and they never will.

I grimace when I see people wearing a tank top, shorts and flip-flops on an airplane and walk barefoot through security screening. Maybe it's due to when I grew up at the tail-end of the golden age of flying, when it was still something of a big deal, but - I dunno what my point is...there's a time and a place to present yourself well and a used clothing store ain't it.

7. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

hahaha. Well, we closed our Ebay store last year, which we had run full time, we consign here to fuel our thrifting habits. Basically, we liquidated our store there. I guess they like us-however we do not like them. If you think the mens side is bad, all I can say is you have seen nothing when compared to the ladies side across the street.
    In general, they sometimes have some ok things (like I buy Borrelli shirts there for dirt cheap, hardly find them in the thrifts), but never have I spent my own monies there.
    Truth on the Versace and other douche grade brands...occasionally you will see some Isaia, Ive sent some roached Kiton there and gotten some coin. Its really not good for anything else.

8. TexJake

TexJake Senior member

CT 16/33 extra slim, Zanella super thick woven (M)
    [​IMG]

And another mild mannered Hermes. Is this one legit? Something seems a little off, maybe in my head though. Feels just as nice as others I've picked up.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015

9. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Looks legit. Nice pattern too.

10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Zegna makes SOME of the made in Mexico signature series, but not the platinum line which is made in Italy. I've asked before about that tag, and no one knows.

11. double00

double00 Senior member

^^^

re: Hermes, is the ground actually white or cream or ?

I'm really into that pattern, but i've never figured out how to wear a white or off-white silk tie

12. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Nataku ! I picked this at a GW. What do I have here ? Any idea on vintage ? Do you know the temp rating ? Weighs about 4-5 llbs. I couldn't leave this vintage down bag behind...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

The two guys that worked there were nice and cool to me - don't remember their names - one dude was foreign - decent guys. The last time I was allowed to shop there - over 2 years ago - I was surprised at how much generic PRL and J. Crew stuff they had, for like $25-$30 per shirt. I had a mind to go shop at GW Buckhead for Polo and J. Crew, remove the colored barbs and bring it all to Labels. They did have a super-sick Dunhill 100% cashmere top coat there for a long while that I would check on every 2 or 3 weeks - it never went on sale.
    And their consignment process kinda sucks - you have to go in and see if anything sold and get a check - they don't mail out checks nor let you know you've got money coming...if stuff doesn't sell after 90 days you have to go pick it up, and good luck finding it out on the racks after 90 days and you have no idea what's what any longer unless you keep track of what you brought in vs. what you got paid for. Ungh.

14. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

White shirt, dark suit or navy blazer, something that makes it weird.

[​IMG]

Or yours truly trying to knock the above off:

[​IMG]
    Or this, which is one of those times something just works.
    [​IMG]

15. TexJake

TexJake Senior member

The base color is a tan/khaki/ecru. Not light/white enough that I would call it cream or ivory. Definitely workable with a tan or brown suit of some variety with a white shirt. Or, as @YRR92 demonstrates above very well, even Navy would work.