The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

This muthah fuckah right here.

Set up a custom search on ebay for "Florsheim Hanover Shell" and specify your size, then save that fucker and get updates sent to your inbox every morning. You will find something, I promise. And don't count out Etsy, either.

2. ryangmode

ryangmode Active Member

You win! That is absolutely crazy. The stuff you see in thrift shops man...

3. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Absolutely a thing, still.

4. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

When I was a kid, my Mom used to put our hats in the dishwasher. We even had a special plastic cage for it to help it keep it's shape. Don't know if you'd want to do that to this one, but it's an option.

5. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Finds from yesterday...

MMM suit, NWT. EU 48 and available (no trades). Pants are unhemmed but with a bit of damage. The damaged section would likely be corrected with hemming.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ludwig Reiter trees

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Helpful book. Small projects inside, most of which are (unfortunately) geared towards women.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These are actually women's. I bought them for myself knowing that, but I didn't really care. They fit and were €11. I'm not missing some incredibly feminine feature of them, am I?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cotton scarf

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Linen Gianfranco Ferré scarf

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Linen PS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silk PS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Altea wool/silk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Children's ties. I grabbed an extra Gant for next to nothing (€0.20), so one of them is available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Glasses:
    Zegna titanium
    Zegna stainless steel
    Hogan
    Zegna Titanium

Moschino
    Moschino
    Paul Smith

[​IMG]

Ties

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aquascutum

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Women DSquared2 t-shirt

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  6. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

7. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

I did that too with baseball hats. But, they are little more substantial. This is just an older mesh hat. I wonder if the Oxy Clean treatment might work. Its pretty nasty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Nobleprofessor

That feeling when you see a beautiful cognac colored wool overcoat double breasted thick lustrous finish and either new or as close as can be with a perfect liner, gorgeous lines, top quality construction THEN you see the label is Botany 500.

9. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Thanks for the opinion! I have no shame in wearing them as they don't look feminine in any way, I just thought I was missing something that I would only catch when I'm out in public. :happy:

10. Letric

Letric Senior member

Is the "Ermenegildo Zegna" text on those glasses removable... like a clear plastic film / sticker? Or are those words permanently on the glasses?

What maker is that raw shauntungy Blue / White striped tie? That thing is handsome. Available?

11. Takai

Takai Senior member

I actually have been offered to work there a number of times in the past >.> There are currently only 2 males that work at the company. Ha.

To start this tale, I will give you my fit for the day.

[​IMG]
    Hat: Goorin
    Shirt: Innercity Raiders
    Jeans: Iron Heart 634s
    Boots: Frye
    Optional: 40's Tuf Nut Chore Coat, and Persol shades

So today I had something happen that I've never really experienced before. I went to drop off a resume at I+W, and take some of my stitchwork for them to see, because the shop manager said she thought it sounded cool, and one of the guys working there was sort of learning to do it. So, I get there, and she is helping a customer try on some way too tight jeans, but comes over anyway to talk. I give her my resume, and tell her I brought the stitchwork if she wants to see. She responds affirmatively, and I pull out my Cinchback Kitty cats; Her eyes went wide, and she started geeking out hard, and then went to go get the guy that was learning. He came over, and I showed off everything that I'd brought, and they were both amazed, and spent probably 20min geeking out with me, taking pictures of my jeans, wanting my email to talk, and an instagram to follow and such. It was super weird, and fun. The Manager said she'd be in touch, and the guy said he would definitely be in touch too; So, I guess that's a good sign?

I gave @Thrift Vader a ring, and we talked about denim and current trends and such as I drove over to see my girls at UAL, got over there and saw that one of them was back from a big trip, kind of puttered around the shop, and didnt see anything particularly interesting.

After I left there I decided to stop by a shop I'd never been to before, Haymakers, which is just down the street. Popped in, and I was the only person in there, other than the retail associate. He immediately asked me where I got my Iron Hearts. We started talking as I perused around the store noticing brands like LVC, Naked and Famous, Raleigh, Eidos, Drakes, Alden, AE, LBM, etc. I was amazed by this shop's varied inventory. It turns out they are a part of J Michaels, which sells fine suiting, and is next door. We got on the subject of Japanese streetwear and such, and he was telling me that he was trying to get some japanese brands in the store, which was super cool. The entire time I was in there, no other employees had shown up, so I asked about their staffing, and he told me that there were really only 3 employees, himself, who did most of the purchasing, brand stuff, retail sales, etc, the store manager who had been out on medical leave for like 2 months, and a part time guy; but that he was leaving in september to start working for The Armory in NYC. He then asked if I knew anyone who knew about menswear and needed a job. I mentioned that I actually was in the market, and I had just left I+W earlier, and had been talking with them about going to work for them. We had a little mini interview there and then, and he seemed really up beat, even though it kind of blindsided both of us.

tl:dr- Denim Geeking this morning at I+W=hopefully good things, menswear geeking at Haymakers=hopefully good thing.

12. winny94

winny94 Senior member

E-thrift-ish Hickey Freeman made of Loro Piana cashmere. Tagged as a 40, but measure more like a 42. Awesome deep green color with blue window pane (hard to capture color with my phone). Available for trade in the exchange thread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Actually a great story! Good luck on both takai, seems like good things are coming your way

14. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

[​IMG]
    Some fly knits

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    3x todd snyder pop, prps,nudies selvedge, eton spread,pal zileri ff windowpane

[​IMG]
    More canalis orphans ,but theyre damn nice. Nailheadish, gray light flannel, light grey window

[​IMG]
    Paid up a bit for this, but should do okay

15. Nobleprofessor

There was a very hot woman that I went to law school with. She was super freaking hot (so hot one of the professors slept with her and ended up moving to Switzerland). Not only was she hot, but she was smart and she drank whiskey. Not a girly drink with a little whiskey in it. I mean three fingers of whiskey, a glass and two ice cubes. She was a bad ass and I thought she would become a rock star attorney. Unfortunately, becoming a mother turned her into a crazy whackjob. She is a friend on facebook and I think I might have to unfriend her. Half of her posts are about breastfeeding. Her daughter is in first grade and still breastfeeds! The remainder of her posts are about asking people to give her stuff.

Example: My daughter needs cleats for soccer. Does anyone have a pair we can have?

I'm always in favor of getting a good deal. And if this was a rare occurence, I might also just forget it. But, she is on facebook asking for stuff all the time. She is not poor. She and her husband do very well. Its just weird.

I thought about commenting on her status and saying, "its about dinner time, anyone want to make me a steak (medium rare please) and deliver it to my house? Prefer Porterhouse or ribeye!