• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally found some cool (to me) vintage t-shirts. Clearly, these are all from one donor.

The funny thing is, I did one of these races; and I think my dad did three or four of them.

Presidio 10

Ah, the ESL Runaway... This brings back memories. My dad did this race, and I did it too, after it became the Tandy Up And Running 10K (vintage cool for a South Bay Area runner). Also, anyone remember the ESL shootings? http://abc7news.com/archive/8743901/

1982 ESL Runaway

This is probably my favorite art for a race t-shirt...
1983 Santa Clara Police 10k Pursuit

Sunnyvale Baylands 5l/10k. This was one of my first 10k's, back in the mid/late 80s (I think I ran it in 1987, though I'm not sure what year this shirt was from).

This is my personal favorite. The Mercury News Run was a staple of Bay Area distance running for many years. I ran the final one, in 2006.

1985 San Jose Mercury News 10k

1986 San Jose Mercury News 10k

Spartan Breakaway 10K (not sure what year(s) this was run, though I found a reference on Athlinks.com for a race run in 1987)

1988 San Jose Mercury News 10k (I was supposed to run this one, I was signed up, then my parents decided that as punishment for something I wasn't allowed to leave the house -the joys of being 11...)

1985 Hyattfest 10k Run

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Fueco

tangential thriftergy: peninsular fun running goodness. deadstock!

probably not a great property, but i like the fabric color and down-home graphic. for me...

the converse/spartans ringer you copped is especially sweet! converse is not the first association i make with distance running

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Fueco

tangential thriftergy: peninsular fun running goodness. deadstock!

probably not a great property, but i like the fabric color and down-home graphic. for me...

the converse/spartans ringer you copped is especially sweet! converse is not the first association i make with distance running

I'm pretty sure I did that race at some point too... The Palo Alto Baylands are still one of my favorite places to run.

Converse was huge in the running scene back in the day. I was always a Saucony kid (and I still wear Saucony), but I can recall plenty of others running in Converse shoes back then.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What's this about APC/Dior jean sizes?

I was at a local denim shop recently, and they insisted their jeans weren't vanity sized; they just used "standardized sizing" Which was why a 33/34 fit a 31. 

I don't get it. APCs stretch a bit (or a bunch) by my 31s were sized accurately. (I know because I wear a 32 and they made my face looked like this: :embar: )

I thrifted a pair of Gustins in size 34 that were too big on me. When they had a sale, I bought a pair of 33s, thinking they'd fit perfect. They fit like a 30 or so. Can barely get them past my calves. I have no idea how to buy Gustins.

Yeah, here's what I mean. A worn pair or raw jannz will be stretched quite a bit; a new pair will be necessarily tighter.

^ mifht be mens. 34 34 is pretty big for womens.

lol guy who obviously lives in Canada, what with your eh's and your health care and your fresh produce and whatnot

i'm guessing @concealed
and @dazedstate
have me blocked or something. haha

Someone put me on ignore once after I said William Gibson had a tin ear and a clunky prose style. :foo:

Geez...I am old enough to say I saw Ghostbusters on a first fun showing in an actual theater. A theater is a place one goes to seek entertainment by a movie projected on a screen. Don't know if most of you have been there before since they have become mostly extinct.

:slayer::slayer::slayer:

**** yes! Related: I just recovered the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man from my attic.

.​

Last edited:

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posted Earlier about an estate sale. I ended up not getting anything at the estate sale. But, there was a Small Church Run thrift store down the street.

They were having a big sale 50% off one item

Men's shirts $1

Boutique items (in this case, it just meant in the display cabinet) were half off and there were some other discounts.

Anyway, here are the finds:

Let's Start with Shirts because they were on sale for $1

You have to love Viyella Shirts (especially for $1)

A nice Sir Pendleton

Here's a nice find for $1

One guy donated a lot of Brooks Brothers. Unfortunately there was quite a few orphans. I skipped those and just got the SCs and Blazers. I also LOVE getting the Brooks Brothers Hangers with them!

BB 1818 (46R)

This one can't be just wool. Unless its the nicest wool ever. It was very soft and smooth MUCH smoother than just wool.

This was interesting. Who makes stuff for BB when it is made in Italy?

The tag wasn't very helpful:

Another VERY nice Bb Blazer 46R

A Very nice Burberry Camel Hair SC

Alligator Belt my size (hooray!)

Interesting Belt. Ever heard of Bombay Snake? Size 38

On to Ties. Mostly fodder

A Fun Nautical Themed Nautica tie that looks like something I would have worn in the 1990's!

Talbott US Open tie (is this a thing?)

Vintage Gucci!

Strictly BB Fodder

An old GOP republican Lapel Pin/ Tie Tack for me.

Here's an interesting tie bar. I think this is real Gator/Croc. I am not sure what the significance of the Fleur-de-lys

I don't usually look at pants. But, i was hoping to reunite the orphans. After wading through the Perry Ellis and Dockers, I saw these.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about Pitti shoes? The labels are Pitti Firenze (made in Italy). Looks like nice shoes.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From the You Find the Darnedest Things in Zanellas! files:

Dude's bank withdrawal slip. Bank account number handwritten in boxes. Bank name and address stamped on the side. Dude's full name magic marker-ed on the pockets. :facepalm:

The slip, however, was torn in half, making it completely un-readable.

(I mean, Jesus Whiz, man. Had to tear it up and properly dispose of it for him...)

Last edited:

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the You Find the Darnedest Things in Zanellas! files:

Dude's bank withdrawal slip. Bank account number handwritten in boxes. Bank name and address stamped on the side. Full name magic marker-ed in the pockets.
facepalm.gif

The slip, however, was torn in half, making it completely un-readable.

(I mean, Jesus Whiz, man. Had to tear it up and properly dispose of it for him...)

I'm sure there's enough DNA in those pants to identify him anyway.

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't have a lot of luck at the thrift stores today, but did a bit better at the discount stores. Will post more pictures tomorrow, but these were two of my favorites:

I liked this one a lot as I was walking up to the ties. I was a bit surprised when I looked at the maker...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads