1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. GMMcL

GMMcL Distinguished Member

WTF is wrong with you? Is this just about never backing down from a challenge?
    FTFY. No relationship, I'm sure.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015

2. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Distinguished Member

Kahlua and Coffee

3. eazye

eazye Distinguished Member

Vodka+OJ

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Distinguished Member

You can have the tie slimmed down by tiecrafters if desired.

Mimosas!

5. suited

suited Distinguished Member

I thought there was an eBay policy against using profanity in listing titles, or in this case, words that could be considered vulgar. Either way it was good for a laugh.

6. HansderHund

HansderHund Distinguished Member

Thanks, everyone! We're, of course, very excited. By this point, I'm only mildly terrified of actually holding the baby. I'm perfectly fine holding 6+ month olds, but newborns seem so fragile. In my mind, it's the equivalent of "Here, Hans, hold onto this nuclear warhead. Don't worry, you won't drop it...but if you do, you'll destroy Earth."

Thanks! Last summer I redid a half-bath. You helped me with the plans on building a cabinet (thanks again!), which I may still do!

7. HansderHund

Recent (-ish) finds...

Anyone want to take a guess at the brand before the spoiler? Don't worry, I'll change the laces.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another pair, a bit beat up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beautiful boots...with shoe bags. Size UK 10 (approx. EU 44)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NWOB, EU 41.5 (possibly store display)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New tie/PS from a local store:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NWT tie. The brand isn't anything terribly special, but grabbed it for myself for €1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Couple of other housel-labelled ties:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4x Atkinsons (3 Irish Poplin, 1 silk)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Altea, Canali, PRL, Valentino

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zegna, Regal Aire, Daks silk/linen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silk PS and scarf that I'm going to turn into a PS. I assume it's supposed to be a fake Versace (no tags), but before I cut it up, it's nothing, right @SpooPoker? It is silk.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mason's
    [​IMG]

I bought these about 6 weeks ago as I thought they were cool. As I was catching up, I noticed a short discussion about the name. Is this something good?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silk Etro blouse

[​IMG]

Jil Sander polo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Discount store for myself. NWT, €10:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone recognize this maker? Nice cotton jacket in navy. EU 48 and available. I'd have loved to wear it had it fit me better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barbour iPhone 6 case
    [​IMG]

Zegna x2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Horn coasters
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found these next to the coasters. I have no idea what their purpose is. They're horn, but small. You obviously don't drink out of them, Game of Thrones style. Any ideas or creative uses?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Distinguished Member

@Hans Common People wasn't around very long - a few years - it was founded by a guy named Kestin Hare who was head of design at Nigel Cabourn. Common People folded and he went on to start a new label under his own name. I don't recall Common People being discussed here, but it was pretty under-the-radar...Common Projects pops up more frequently.

9. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Blue Curacao,Vodka,Rum, and Lime.
    [​IMG]

puts a spring in your step.

Congrats Hans!!!!!!![​IMG]

10. HansderHund

Thank you for the helpful info! I suppose that explains why they ended up at such a discount. This is the conversation (really just a few comments) that I read as I'm catching up on the thread...

11. Fueco

Fueco Distinguished Member

Espresso and water

[​IMG]

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

13. HansderHund

Here, called a "Verlängerter"

Thanks! Didn't think so, just wanted to be certain. Looks like I'll just cut the center piece out for a square.

Thought I'd share some pictures. I have meant to take shots inside Wilhelm Jungmann & Neffe in Vienna, but I've forgotten every time. It's a rather famous fabric/accessories store in Vienna. My pictures are terrible compared to those on their website (click above), but it's a really neat place. I may be going back this week, should anyone want a proxy. Nothing is cheap, but it's all very nice. They have beautiful fall colors for ties, pocket squares, scarves, bags, etc. right now. Let me know if you want something special.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, saw this a month or so ago. I thought the large number of Minnesota guys would like to see it, so I grabbed a couple of pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, as I was walking, I saw a large group of people standing behind security along with a bunch of people from the press. I asked a security guard what was going on. He goes "It's the Mission Impossible showing, Tom Cruise is here." I mentioned that I had forgotten it was that day. He looks around and then says "Would you like to go? I have a bracelet." I said sure, why not. So...

[​IMG]

14. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Distinguished Member

Fuck!

At the same time?

15. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Distinguished Member

On Friday (as in just a couple days ago), I bought some great shoes on ebay from our very own @drlivingston And all I can say is WOW!

Very often the photos on ebay (especially if the seller has been doing this for a while) will show the items in a very good light and accurately portray the item. Then, when the buyer gets them they are pleased because they got exactly what they thought they were getting. Today, my shoes arrived. ALREADY! AND they are even BETTER than I expected. They have MUCH LESS wear than expected! They exceeded my expectations by miles! Clearly, Dr. L. does NOT oversell his stuff. I was genuinely surprised about how nice they are! I knew they would be nice, but not like this!

I have no idea how he got them here so fast. He had to have hijacked the Priority Mail plane and diverted it to Wichita! Not only did they arrive in absolute record time, these shoes were packed so neatly and so lovingly that when I first opened the box I thought maybe he had sent me the wrong things. These were packed so well and so perfectly they appeared to be something you would send if The President of the United States bought something on ebay. I don't know if I have wrapped Christmas presents for the woman who gave birth to me and raised me this well, much less someone that I know only from a couple of on-line forums.

To top all that off, he included some really interesting Reagan Inauguration blazer buttons for which we had previously discussed a trade AND wrapped the Blazer Buttons in the box in a Hand Rolled Silk Pocket Square.

I wish I had more room on the ebay Feedback form to sing Dr. L's praises. I hope that anyone who searches for him will find this. Truly, a great seller!