• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

glam922

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

As you can see my post counter indicates I'm pretty new, it's my first post on this forum! :D

Well I've been lurking quite a bit this thread (almost done reading all the pages of this thread ^^). it's been very enjoyable to see so many finds, pops, stories, pieces of advice. In the meantime I have been going to a couple of thrift stores in my area and tried to identify what's good to grab. At first for my personnal use (so I was looking mainly at fit + decent brand/quality), but I'm now more and more incline to try picking up good deals and try to resell to a profit on Ebay.

Among other thing, I almost pulled the trigger on 1 Brooks Brothers 1818 pinstripe suit in good condition (and not an orphan. i've picked that up here :eek:) + 1 Borrelli "for a Department store" navy 3button sportcoat. Also Hesitated on a solid bright red double breasted Brooks Brothers sport coat... no idea if that can be flipped. it's pretty original...

Anyway, they were not my style and I did not have time to check exentively Ebay...

I went back today and they were all gone ^ ^.

I'd like to share what I've picked up so far (3/4 thrift sessions in 2/3 GW mainly. MA and NH), and to avoid spamming pictures I'll put spoiler on most of it. I'm taking any comment/feedback/advice you may have on my haul. Thanks!

Ok I'll start with the ulgy... Or at least what i realize now is not a good pick:

• Navy Blazer "Savile Row" 2 buttons, golden buttons, made in Poland, 42S, single vent, patch pockets

Now I know it's easy to say after the fact but really I realized when buying this blazer that it was not a real "Savile Row tailor". The Made in Poland label was pretty clear about that. No this was just the first navy blazer with golden buttons, patch pockets, in good condition that fitted me, that I was stumbling on. In retrospect I think it's an OK mistake for 5$.
    The only thing that I regret is that it's a 42S while I'm more a 42R. Shoulders and waist fit good, the jacket is a bit short so it's a bit more "sporty", but the sleeve are too short. And I am not sure whether it's worth taking it to a tailor.

The brand seems to be off Macy's. Seems some people manage to sell a few on Ebay... http://goo.gl/y16JwQ
  • Another Navy Blazer, same style but this time no patch pockets, the fit is good and it's made in the USA. Problem: I don't know the brand. I can only assume it's not very fancy but eh. it'll do until I find better ^^ Another 8$ mistake. Not very interesting for the thread.

4 Ties. 1 I think is worth looking at.

Brooks Brothers*3, 2 don't have the label. For my use I think as I don't have an extensive necktie collection. That'll extend my range of options.

Now I've lurked almost all the thread since I found this Zilli tie and the brand is rarely found I feel. Is this a "pop"? The tie feels nice and is good quality. The only problem is: it's HUGE. Like really Wide and Long.

I had never heard of Rag & Bone before, but the fabric itself was standing out in the rack compared to other shirts. left a few Faconnable shirts on the racks. Is it always worth to pick them up if they are not too worn?

It fits pretty well on me so I'll keep it! There is one light (but visible) stain next to the buttons. I'll have to try to remove it soon.

Pciked this up today. It looks and feel good, what surprised me if that it does look unworn. They are not even hemmed I think. Pants are just slighly too tight for me. I'm not sure if I should bank on loosing weight ^^

Def not my size. It's in good condition though. Is it something that I can sell on Ebay?

Let's finish with some of the better thing I've picked up ^^

• Brooks Brothers 1818 Fitzggerald half-lined navy Blazer. Made in USA. 41L This one fits good but the sleeves are slightly too long. I think it's worth going to the tailor for this one. I like the buttons and I'd like some more info on them as I cannot find them anywhere else on the interwebs. They look grey/silvery instead of golden. They are also quite heavy.

• Brooks Brothers grey houndstooth with blue & brown lines. Made in Italy. This ones fits perfectly (40R). This one is really nice and I definitely am keeping it :D Any info on the maker?

• Brooks Brothers brown houndstooth. Fits good but a bit long in the sleeves (why is most of what i find in S or L not in R!). It feels older than the previous one and a bit more worn.

• Canali for Bloomindales 3 buttons windowpane with blue lines. This one feels different and I like it. Fits me well as well so I think I'll keep it.

Well that's it. Thanks for bearing with my long post. Not sure if it's a bit too much.I'm taking any feedback on what I've posted .

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ well, i'll say welcome amigo!

I'll also say that the red BB db blazer sounds ******* amazing. I really do brake for non-navy blazers and i've been keeping my eyes peeled for a red one at thrift. i assume the buttons were brass? oh well... look forward to seeing the brags roll in!

winny94

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about Falabella shoes? I found a pair of loafers I'm interested in, but can find nothing online about them.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome. You've got some very solid finds there, especially for a first post! Rag & Bone, BB 1818 navy blazer, Zilli, etc are all excellent finds. Probably shouldn't have passed on the BB 1818 suit and definitely shouldn't have passed on the Borrelli (especially a tailored piece; those are rare and very desirable). With that said, I have never seen a Borrelli tailored piece that had a label with a department store on it, only shirts that were made for Neiman Marcus.

Last edited:

glam922

Reaction score

^^^ well, i'll say welcome amigo!

I'll also say that the red BB db blazer sounds ******* amazing. I really do brake for non-navy blazers and i've been keeping my eyes peeled for a red one at thrift. i assume the buttons were brass? oh well... look forward to seeing the brags roll in!

thank you!
Yes they were brass. It really stood out but it was 40S so def not my size + I can't see myself wearing that kind of blazer just yet ^^

Welcome glam, congrats on the Zilli, I've been doing this for years and have only found one Zilli piece.

Thank you. I got it for 3$ at GW and it really stood out next to all the crap hanging there. It would be really great had it been more reasonably sized.

glam922

Reaction score

Welcome. You've got some very solid finds there, especially for a first post! Rag & Bone, BB 1818 navy blazer, Zilli, etc are all excellent finds. Probably shouldn't have passed on the BB 1818 suit and definitely shouldn't have passed on the Borrelli (especially a tailored piece; those are rare and very desirable). With that said, I have never seen a Borrelli tailored piece that had a label with a department store on it, only shirts that were made for Neiman Marcus.

Thank you,
The BB suit was a 48 and in good condition as far as I could tell. I hesitated but it was before I read most of this thread so I did not realize what kind of value it had. Priced 15$ at GW...
I tried the Borrelli on but it looked a bit odd on me (3 buttons + a bit wrinkled). I don't remember what the tag was saying but I'm almost sure it was not "just" Borrelli. Damn I won't make that mistake again :embar:

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@double00

Is the belt like this on accident? I think ******* not.

Yorker

Reaction score
Fit pic - don't think I'm going to let this one go. I wasn't sold on the button collar when I tried it on in the store, but it's growing on me and the way it wraps the neck makes it warm as ****.

TF coat I managed not to buy.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oof. one of those mornings.

I feel ya, brother. I was just getting ready to put a second coat of paint on my photo wall. I figured I would go ahead and take my lunch break. What's a good pre-dawn cocktail?

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That feeling when you come back home and see a shitload of Cucinelli, Gucci, Prada, Zegnas and whatnot waiting for you on your childhood bed... But there's no ******* way you can bring them all back lol -_- #luggagefail

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome Glam. Nice first post. I have yet to see a Zilli in the wild. Nice find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads