Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

It's here, and Neighborhood. kopped both in one stop a while back. and under the 10% mark. those are brands i will kop to wear in winter. or getting hands greasy. really just well made beater stuff.

CDG Tricot, Pherrow's,Buzz Rickson's,Early Avirex,Yohji,MCM,LV,And all the obscure workwear items regardless of brand.

Different strokes..... plenty of options. and no. not into Visvim at all. hip hop brands don't really move me. but sure, come over. maybe when Barrel comes over would be fun.

Am i wrong in thinking the Birds are Pheasants?

Not sure about here, i can look into it. but super geeks in the 'States will be digging that stuff for sure.

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Huh. I popped on a NWT New England Shirt Company XL yesterday. Nice fabric, but I had to leave it due to a bad case of plastic button-itis; that and the lingering shame, anger, and utter incoprefuckinghension over the resale for Isaia shirts (another pop). So: Woe is my thrifting of late; woe is my refrain. More woes! than Joey Lawrence with Tourettes. Bury my heart at woe-nded knee......

3. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

The suede tassle shoes went hip hop but they still make that solid outerwear but come to thing of it, I'd probably prefer to rock Neighborhood outerwear anyway, and taps and flat head for all things else, the more patch work and the more Avant Garde, you can count me out, I'm a little more straight forwar in my ways. I just love me Japanese made workwear....and ho bout Buzz Rickson A-1. Avirex Horeside A-2, Flat Head Cordovan cut horsehide Perfecto.... the fucking holy trinity of leather jackets.

4. double00

double00 Senior member

i might just go with something like "navy pique jacket" - hopsack is plain woven and this looks like jacquard or something.

Pique refers to a family of textured dobby and sometimes jacquard woven fabrics as well as knits (yer typical "coarse" polo shirt is pique). imo the term is handy for anything with more dimension than a twill or plain weave - browse a few examples online, you'll see they're all different but share that same sort of dressed-down texture...

as for fiber content it could be a worsted wool or it looks like it could well have linen or silk involved as well. if it feels real crispy i'd guess it's some blend.

5. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

But in efforts of choosing the best selling strategy using pique in a title for a whool jacket probably isn't the most advantageous you think? I believe, technically that that fabric would be referred to as a loose weave hopsack wool blazer. Pique is for knits. Hopsack is the general keyword referencing an exposed and textured solid woolen weave on a blazer. It can also be used interchangibly for describing any type of irregular blazer texture that doesn't other wise have a name and isn't a weave only seen on suits, such as birdseye or nailhead.

Edit: Personally I'm going to where the hits are and the traffic is and under sport coats and blazers, hopsack reins supreme.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If its not out of your way, let me know. :cheers:

Absolutely brilliant. Brilliant.

7. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

Has anyone ever made a sport coat made out of grenadine?

8. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Well done, well done. The 1400 model from New Balance is a top 3 for me. And green to boot?? Too, the 1400 is used a lot by J. Crew on their collaborations. They have I'd say 10 collabs on this model alone. Nice find!!

9. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I've seen the made in new england tag on several shirts of poor quality. The made in new england stuff I found weren't UNIONMADE brand, that's possibly the difference?

I would always refer to this weave as hopsack, is that different from this? https://www.ledbury.com/products/navy-warwick-sport-coat

10. bpk1

bpk1 Senior member

Couple firsts for me, Chanel legit? Brioni is old!
    [​IMG]

And something completely non clothing related - don't look like they've ever been used:
    [​IMG]

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Reluctant to contradict you, at the risk of opening a can of worms, but that looks like old Canali to me. Either way it's a nice looking polo coat. For re-sale, I'd prefer Canali probably.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

13. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Is that a picture frame?

I wish we had estate sales on Sunday! New rarely have them.

14. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Senior member

New England Shirt Co makes for an insane amount of people. The actual construction of the shirt is generally good, all USA ready to wear makers are similar quality to me. They also use incredibly nice piece goods. However, some of their standard/stock trimmings (buttons in particular) really suck.

Some brands go with their stock fabrics, buttons, fits, etc.; some brands have their own patterns, fabrics and trimmings.

They certainly don't rival the big Italian names or shirts that are a mixture of hand and machine make, but they're a solid American manufacturer. Also, the Oxford cloth they use can't be beat.

15. eazye

eazye Senior member

This one?
    [​IMG]

For the record, my team of stylists made sure I had indeed bathed before the shoot. However, I had given my maid the day off, hence the dirty mirror, so, sorry for that. ;)

RE: New England shirtmakers, we used to sell them at my old place of employment. Retail is stupid high for the quality which is pretty meh compared to what we are used to. Like noob said, plastic buttons and all that. And they are actually made in New England.