1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

if there is a taper from the chest to the waist in the pattern then it's probably ladies. i mean you can actually see the stitches decrease as you look along the body side seams.

most guys sweaters are patterned straight from the armpits to the waist ribbing. With very fine knits sometimes this isn't the case, i've got an rlpl sweater that is surprisingly tapered. maybe i've been wearing a ladies' sweater? lol. it's pretty big tho, so i doubt it.

merino will totally felt in the washing machine. if the reverse is napped then it's probably been shrunk. sometimes wool will get hard and nasty after felting but often it will get pretty soft and spongy!

yeah, your photos are not at all helpful lol.

as for Polo Jeans, i've never seen anything worth copping. *Maybe* the flag sweaters? But i think anything RL is piece by piece. I brake for Polo, Polo Country, Polo Sport, RRL and don't sleep on Rugby, even some Denim and Supply is worthwhile! Talking sportswear, casual, and heritage stuff here, not cm.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015

2. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

That guy has, unfortunately, long passed away. The shop is gone now.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015

3. Sleeves345

Sleeves345 Senior Member

Good info, thanks! Doesn't look very tapered to my eye - the seam follows the same row of stitches the whole way top to bottom. Doesn't look felted either. Maybe a little bit of pilling starting, but not very much. Children's Large?

At this point, weighing the pros/cons of soaking and stretching to try and get an extra inch out of it, or just selling with measurements. Not sure I want to risk hurting it more.

My bad on the pics. Next time I'll be more patient and take pics in the daylight.

4. Koala-T

Koala-T Distinguished Member

Thanks, dude! I've been on the lookout for one for a while, ever aince Spoo found his a while back. They're like hens teeth these days. Only a small handful on eBay right now, and most not as wild as this one.

5. Nataku

Nataku Distinguished Member

Trying my hand at this Polo game. Hope I did well..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Distinguished Member

My first big hit when I had just started out. I think I posted it in the vintage thread, still have it, way too cool to let go of
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. dazedstate

dazedstate Distinguished Member

8. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Distinguished Member

That's awesome kbadgely^ nicely subtle. Also, I wish Hackett London got more love on the bay. I really kind of like them.

9. Jompso

Jompso Distinguished Member

Co-sign hard. I got this gorgeous nearly brand new Hacket London Blazer I'm just sitting on, cant fuckin move it (and the loading of todays two stop thrift challenge rebutall has commenced)

10. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

my all-time favorite sc from the thrift thread is the pink ancient tartan Hackett. Thrift fit from awhile ago (o.g. thread i think), can't remember who has it but i covet. beautiful.

11. Cj52racers

I bought half a dozen of their shirts a bit ago and was shocked when I saw they don't sell. Fuck that, I'm keeping them. I like them better than the Ledbury stuff I've had and those sell like cake.

12. Koala-T

Koala-T Distinguished Member

I forgot. Saw this today. Did not kop.

[​IMG]

13. Cj52racers

Haha, Napoli couture Gucci

14. Shanejosephxxx

Shanejosephxxx Senior Member

I too have a fantastic pretty much new Hackett blazer that is going nowhere. I'd keep it in a second it if was my size.

15. Jompso

Jompso Distinguished Member

Damn...if your internets ever lagging check your bid sniper, those take up memory like fucking crazy. Anyways, since I notoriously tossed a thrift challenge at @the2ndhandman 's way, I figured it was only fair that I at least make a stop or too and answer to the challenge as well. I'm sure he far surpassed me in quantity and quality, hittin up the big boys hard, but I got a few things from a couple small spots.

Pants
    [​IMG]
    Billy Reid Overdyed chinos, quite nice
    [​IMG]
    Love the color on these and they are bran fucking new, never worn. I'd never do it but someone would, there fucking fresh, plus I'm like 50% sure they are Brioni.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very recent Zegna cotton chinos, flat front
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now this was interesting. At a spot that will mark it up even if it's chinese and 1% cashmere from like 4 to 20, they left this at 6, unpriced.The Neimans tag is still attached as is the manufacturers tags so it's obviously brand new, and its Avon Celli, a long sleeve flax sweater with quartr placket. And they know the line too, I bought an old label thick Avon Celli cash from them for like 15 about 6 months ago and the tag was hanging off and everything.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is never leaving my posession and is a pop. New England shirt company makes amazing fucking shirts and gets no love and they are all super cheap even though every one is made in Italy. Well they collabed with Unionmade Goods for a shirting line and this is a product of that collaboration. The colors pop much harder in person and is just my size.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I want a mulligan on this one. Bought it cuz of the cobalt blue windowpane over the cun club check, but it's shitty wool and made in thailand. Fuck I hate doing shit like this.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Newest line of incotex and one of the few pairs I've seen with actual character
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Get a little English tailoring in the mix. This is a 6x2 brass buttoned Super 100s wool blazer made by Chester Barrie for Turnbull and Asser, and is nearly brand new. The weird thing though is that there isn't a single thing on the jacket that even mentions the T&A name, just the manufacturing tag says for T/A
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This suit is that shit right here, truly epic wool, just gorgeous. An offering from the newest Bernini Platinum line. I however cannot ID the manufacturer label, a few things has me leaning towards a modified Castangia tag but that doesn't really make sense. A top tier dress shirt of your choice and mint (I have a selection of about a hundred) to the first person who can ID this suit for me. 2 top tiers and a primo tie or a gang of primo ties, whatever you prefer.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is at the top of my list for the week for sure. This fucking gorgeous piece of brown glen check wool with a medium brown windowpane is from the Brooks Brothers standard blue label line. However, it is made in Italy which is good, and the manufacturer is Lardini which is better, but the topping is that it magically can turn in to 3 pieces. My first Brooks 3 piece, and it's quite the one to pop
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then heres my last thing, from my last section at the end of my last stop, that being the womens coats. Was looking through and found some mens but nothing any good, but then I put my hands on this wool and cashmere goodness and hopes got up, however immediately dwindled with the dated Lanvin stamp covering the lining, thinking is just licensed and ain't worth shit. But then I look at the logo hang tag and spot a very familiar font and this font spells out "Made in Italy" and this font belongs to a brand referred to by most as Belvest. I then realized I stumbled across the very first line of true Designer RTW offerings from Parisian design house (even though it is italian made), Lanvin or (Lahn-Vaughn). The size tag reassured me that it was in fact Belvest and I realized I have stumbled upon a really rare piece of fashion history. Some of the first, actual European designer fashion from Couture houses that was available for men. It needs a little cleaning but I think I can find this a very appreciative and quite possibly, a collectors possession.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On that note I'll be signing out of here for a little while, I think we need to take a break and reevaluate our relationship. Good luck on your thrifts and @the2ndhandman , the city of LA is yours for the taking for at least a week, have a blast and grab some good shit. And now that it's all cleared up, defintely check out Consignmen, their inventory has sky rocketed and its nearly all NWOB/NWOT, also, in Burbank, check out Armani Wells. Finest selection of 2nd hand suting in the county, only problem is that its super small so they stay in your business, but they can pack a lot in to that tiny spot but most of that shit most likely wont leave you with enough left on that bone to make it worth the investment, unless they are having a sale because I was there once (literally once, I fucking hate th vally, and they had 15% off and grabbed a suit over a couple weeks old which dropped its price 25%, so I got 40% off a solid navy 2009 Bespoke Loro PIana suit made of that Tasmanian Super 130s and made by Isaia, for like 3 bills. Only item I ever purchased at consignment and i honestly bought it just to stock in my store since its so rare and I was just starting out like 30 things listed...about two months later I wound up flippin it for 8 flat. So were talkin huge upfront investments and possibly less than 3x return on the dollar but who knows. You're here for 2 weeks, and there's a thrift directly across the street from them and a wasteland a block down, so you're bound to come up on something.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015