The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Sorry, amidst the madness I didn't see this comment, thus was unable to give my response. I would like to sincerely apologize to you. Amongst the madness I was on the defensive and I said shit to you that was said from a place of feeling backed into a corner. I was on the defensive and was gonna go at everyone. I don't know you, you say this like there is some story behind this or something, but I am ignorant to such information, I know very little about you beyond your keen eye for fine pieces of silk. I'll break the ice and allow you to know me. I first worked in fashion showrooms in the fashion district downtown LA to get my start, Then I worked professionally as a buyer for a world famous boutique, after acquiring a degree in fashion from a prestigious fashion school, while you were pulling those Kitons. I've worked in showrooms and as a buyer, I know this industry inside and out, something that is of great benefit now that I am a thrifter and consignor. I have personally been thrifting for a year now and have built a fairly strong foundation in just that year a lone, for the beginning of what I want to eventually accomplish, and that doesn't include still being a daily thrifter a few years down the line....well it probably will but that will be from the addiction, not necessity. I have things in motion and plans in place, goals to achieve and paths in which they will be met. I may only be a year deep but I have put in about 5 years worth of networking and contacts. This city truly only runs and operates under a few select individuals people. I one day was requested by one of these few to have a sit down appointment, not I of them, but them for me. This resulted in my cell phone saved in another phone and my bigger plans starting to gain motion and traction. Since you don't know me, I know my shit, back and front, I miss nothing, and hit spots hard regularly, even if turnover is shit, the relationships are almost just as important, a lesson I learned quite early. Essentially I love what I do and wouldn't change my path for anything in the world. Its not hard to love to do something you're really fucking good at and I've found that thing, it used to be baseball, however now its thrifting. I know you specialize in ties and midcentury modern pieces made of teak, I am quite familiar, my mother is an interior designer. Besides that all I know is that you used to be a regular and then you slowly faded away, however I don't know details or anything else for that matter. But that is me, that is who I am, it's nice to actually meet you. and again I apologize for getting off on the wrong foot. If you wish, feel free to feed me your path and everything you truly do and find important. I gave you quite an earful. If you are not in acceptance of this gesture or just don't wish to engage, I understand, I just wanted to extend the olive branch in efforts of peace, civility and hopefully gaining a mutual respect for one another both personally and professionally as well. Good day.

2. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

You don't watch the end. You just watch the awesome parts of him being fucking ruthless. It's like Scarface, you turn it off 20 minutes before the end, so Scarface is the boss on top and wins and all that awesome shit he did during the movie are not just moments in his life that happened but events that will continually occur cuz nothings better than ruthless insider trading and importing cocaine by the tonne directly from the source of manufacture. Fuck Karma, they become emperors of their domain, the very best at what they do, who cares if it was dealing drugs or bankrupting entire businesses, costing countless jobs, all in efforts to liquidate and bounce, or manipulating stock prices...Greed is Good.

3. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Did not buy, but it was damn hard to resist:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. DanM

DanM Senior member

Dunno, in Spoo's hands that could have made a nice investment...

5. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I can let it go if it's a single jab or sly comment, I've learned to just ignore that nonsense, its the fucking internet, its what its there for, who cares. But being backed into a corner by countless people, having my words taken out of context and people flat out making me look like shit, I'm not gonna take that shit. I have too much pride and I don't back down so don't come at me cuz with me its not an eye for an eye, I take the heart. Thats who I've always been. I refuse to allow my name to just get tossed around and accused of all types of comments and not standing up for myself, for what I said, and standing behind what I said because I meant it. I would think that over a year into this shit everyone would sorta just know by now. Long Jompso diatribes are the result of starting shit with me. Don't fuck with me and I don't fuck with you and fuck up the thread. It's fucking easy as hell because I've never, not once, instigated a single incident that resulted in personal attacks being traded. I don't start, I do like to finish, and that's just who I am. If you were in my shoes, you would see this whole situation in a totally different light. And ill gladly be Donald Trump a few bill in the bank, an apartment covered in Gold, and insanely good real estate business saavy, things could be worse, as long as I don't have to rock my own ties.

6. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Would have Spoo'd that Lilly Pulitzer.

7. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

All thread members and tweed heads unite, for I have a question i need of advice...I got a counter offer on this item that is quite fair, I'm not gonna say what, but would you guys pay some number between 90-160 for this item...I mean this shit is fucking gorgeous, I just literally have no clue when I'd wear it, and I guess this counts as e-thrift.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Ok.thats fair.
    Everything you need to know is right here,everuthing from Attolini to Kiton.
    Frenchyfoundit.tumblr.com
    Theres a consigner on here who has over 1000 listings at any time and usually 100 to 150 of those are mine...MONTHLY.
    Ill try to look through my archives and post some of the biggest hits for you.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015

9. Hypetrain

Hypetrain Well-Known Member

I wish my camera worked, but oh well. I went thrifting today and I picked up a SCHWEET Givenchy polo! [​IMG]

10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Believe me, I thought about it, but $300 is a significant risk. What so you think, @SpooPoker?

11. DanM

DanM Senior member

Getting back to "The official thrift/discount store bragging" here's my finds from yesterday. Nothing mind blowing, but considering how dry it's been here lately (the day before I walked into one of my favorite stores and watched a dude rolling out a cart full of suits, with a patchwork donegal tweed cap sitting on top - curses!) It was nice to find anything. Haven't had a chance to photograph much of today's stuff.

2x PRL (solid one feels like velvet), BB, and a Lands End with a pattern I'm really fond of.
    [​IMG]

Seaward & Stern, Eton, O'Connells, Paul & Shark, and my first Zegna Couture

[​IMG]

Filson cap for myself.

[​IMG]

Oh, I did grab this today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also grabbed 3x pairs of Bills Bullard Field Khakis, other random fodder.

12. DanM

DanM Senior member

Can't speak for others, but I'd pay $150 for that.

13. LetsGetWeird

LetsGetWeird Senior member

Recent finds, the first blazer and all suits are RLBL previously mentioned at consignment but still way way worth it (less than 5% retail?). Peak lapel tux is canali recent brown label. All N/A. Enjoy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Letric

Letric Senior member

I like that I was mentioned in the middle of all this.

But yes, I can confirm that this dude DOES thrift a lot of his inventory. He and I share a portion of the same thrift "territory", but I ain't mad... There's enough stuff out there for everyone, even in late summer. I actually have been scoring some great stuff, and so has he... No problems here. It's easy to get salty at someone who's taking stuff off of "your racks", but like he said... you can't be everywhere all the time.

I'm happy with my current situation, and I honestly don't really notice a lack of stuff to grab... Except ties. I know @the2ndhandman has been nabbing my Talbotts and Zegnas lol. Those tie racks be pretty bare, but that's okay.

15. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Um, I want that....give daddy a 42R and some availability to go with it