The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Or send it to @Takai .

2. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

3 quick stops.

Best condition Ballys I've ever seen in a thrift
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gators
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cole Haans Benchmade in England, need a little love but super rare (those fucking heels are intense, PM if you recognize nail pattern)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brown Zanellas with a dope windowpane and some Corbins in a mini houndstooth and windowpane
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Usually only grab the raws, but these Selvage PRPS have a fairly nice wash to them and they were for the looow
    [​IMG]

Fucking Velour Jeans by Gianni Versace. These are crazy and most suprising thing, they are really well made jeans. Every high stress area is reinforced with Medusa rivets, the pockets are stitched and rivets, and the belt loops are sewn on. These were definitely not stitch and glue job.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know some here are under the notion that if it's cashmere you grab it no matter what. Well that rule sucks cuz there's so much shitty cashmere out there it's a joke and I leave it behind daily. My rule, if its a knit and made in Scotland I will never leave it behind, that one's better.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This Faconnable bomber was one of those purchases you walk out the store kinda regretting. Yea its nice and has riri zippers and the wools nice and it was cheap but just unsure about if I want it in my inventory, then I open it and feel much better.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lo Lifes get cold too right @PLaydice
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vtg Heavy Wool Twill Full length single breasted, hidden placket, peak lapel coat from Saks Fifth. So cheap. So gorgeous.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Charcoal Herringbone with redwindow pane Brooks Brothers Italy Wool/Cashmere blazer
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers USA 1818 Fitzgerald with Estrado Wool
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dope Pendleton coat.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the big boy. Willis & Geiger Safari Jacket. This that shit right here.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3 quick stops.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  3. double00

double00 Senior member

^^^ interesting haul @Jompso

love the Versace velour jeans. Western pockets!

I just copped a Polo Sport fleece as well. Made in USA, polartec goodness. I'm down on it cause it's not ridiculously loud and big logo, but i'm confident it'll do ok.

i'm gonna ask a general question re: exotics. is caiman regarded as on par with yer classic american alligator? for that matter, can anybody provide a ranking of exotics: croc, gator, ostrich, lizard, etc. that might be helpful and i haven't seen that sort of ordinal ranking applied to different skins. assume that the garment is a pair of shoes, for instance. i would think it would be something like:

gator/croc
    ostrich
    stingray
    python
    snake
    lizard (probably not a pair of shoes, but you know what i mean)

is that about right? feel free to order/add etc any exotics from most to least desirable.

4. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

5. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

Missed four days and had some mad fucking anxiety opening this thread again lol. Two hours of reading and I learned everything about shirt pricing and saw some cool shit.

Jompso- what's the size on the Florsheim gators. Dope.

Here's the good shit from the last two days.
    Auth check?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Florsheim shells and Trask Bison.
    [​IMG]

Mens
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wimminz
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First Escada is alpaca. Scottish hand knit is fucking dope.

6. double00

double00 Senior member

remember the 7up commercials with Cool Spot? well, before that they used a character named Fido Dido:

[​IMG]

Pepsico bought Fido a few years before the 7up ads, from a husband and wife who created and developed the character to sell t shirts:

[​IMG]
    strange property.

7. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

^thats some weird shit

8. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Thanks...yea looking back at it, that is just a super random grouping of thrifted items. Gators, Gianni Versace Velour Jeans, Polo Sport, Willis Geiger, Pendleton, English Benchmade Cole Haans...fuck it, if it's under the same roof as me and worthy of coping, it will be found, it will be copped...now if it makes an appearance in my store is another issue entirely. Like those Versace velour jeans don't really have a place in my inventory and may be a job best suited for a man who knows Versace better than any, the one and only @SpooPoker

Also...I think python would be catagorized with snakeskin cuz it's a snake. Also that list looks about right. Lizard is cheap as fuck and a dime a dozen...now Bison skin and Gazelle I have seen as well, those may make it in towards the top. Also the scale size of the gator or croc effects value, larger the scale the closer to the belly, which is the most valuable part of the hide.

Edit: The scale size issue is probably only important in the second hand market. Manufacturers obviously arent pricing each pair they make individually, however they may choose to only use the best part of each hide on every pair.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  9. eazye

eazye Senior member

Hahahahaha

10. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Thank you for highlighting this. I wanted to call it out earlier but all I could do was think of shitty jokes and then thought about it and was like "if a rocket scientist takes apart an actual rocket to repair an issue, would that be rocket surgery?"...this then immediately resulted in deciding I was a fucking idiot and just said fuck it. Simple laughter did the trick just fine.

11. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Rocket surgery? I bet Ben Carson could pull it off...

12. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

It is too simple to rank the skins in order of desireability because it depends on the quality of the skin AND who is using it. For example, Stacy Adams (the newer stuff not the vintage) is junk in my opinion. So, they may have alligator shoes that are worth $50 while you might find a lizard footjoy that is exceptionally well made and worth significantly more. Also, I think it depends on the item. Is it a pair of shoes, purse, wallet, belt?

Alligator/Croc is probably more widely acknowledged as an expensive exotic versus Some of the others. But, ostrich can be very valuable especially the full quill variety. A lot of ostrich is not the full quill. I think boots are a good example of this.

Don't forget there are other exotics that either can't be found anymore that are highly valued IF they can be found and IF they can even be sold. I'm thinking of Sea Turtle here.

My point is you can't just rank the exotic skin without knowing a lot more. Plus, I would add a few others:

Elephant
    Sea Turtle (as mentioned above)
    Eel
    Shark
    Camel (I saw a really interesting pair of Camel shoes that were very unique)

There is even sort of a second tier of skins that are not typically labeled as exotic, but are different than cow/calf that are used often:

Goat
    Deer
    Boar
    Pig
    Bison

13. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

Not sure. It's for a potential e-thrift. I'll see if he's got more pictures.

14. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Which one? This should be interesting. I'm in CLE.

15. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

First off, your opinion of Stacy Adams exotics is not an opinion, ict fact, that shit is fucking garbage. SECONDLY There Was no mention of what type of gold rarities garments And Such, it was just a general list ranking the common skins You See These Days and their general cost. I do not care if it's an Exceptionally made pair of lizard skin shoes, there's no way they 're costing more than a pair of better than average Gators. Lizard skin is not uncommon, all looks the same, and is cheap insanely Compared to the rest. Also I made mention of quality, referring to the area of the gator That Is of Higher quality and more valuable, that 'the belly being white. The larger scales, The Higher quality the skin. Most of the things you --other Mentioned might be illegal or whatever goal aussi They are not desirable Because They arent statement making, identifiable skins. Most people are not gonna pay a premium for gold elephant sea turtle pig Because no one else is gonna have Any clue what that shit is, THUS without the admiration, you lose the market and demand. Lastly, I know little to nothing about ostrich pelts besides the fact that ostrich skin got bumps and if your leather got them bumps, it's ostrich and worth money, so I'll just let that be.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015