The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, I'd say 60's or very early 70's. Really cool. Didn't know they went back that far.

2. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

If you live in or near a larger city there will most likely be at least one or two fabric stores, depending on categorical depth, they may very well be able to give you a small selection of different types of suede in which they will, if carried, have sheets of. If not you can most likely buy some off eBay or a store that specializes in leather work. There are quite a few places that do custom leather items for people such as leather jackets and I am sure they will sell you raw materials. A little research on your area and online should net you the best info.

Edit: As far as cost is concerned, this is a minor patch up job to a tailor and won't cost too much. The fact that it is leather work will add a slight premium however, and you will also need to find a tailor who is comfortable and seasoned when it comes to working with leather.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  3. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Label looks real but the stitching looks sketchy.

5. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Was ready to pretty much call today a bust when I got to the last SC on the rack at my last store. The thrift gods give just enough to make sure I'll be back at it tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. double00

double00 Senior member

I know @Jompso has already covered this, but if you don't need the best of the best I know Michael's/Joanns etc stock precut suede patches. I think they actually have pre-awled holes. I'm sure they're dirt cheap. Otherwise you gotta try to sift through what weight of suede you're actually looking for.

another idea is to grab a cheap ass donor Harris jacket with a nice coordinating pattern. i feel like i've seen this done and it could make sense, depending on what you're trying to accomplish...

7. Letric

Letric Senior member

Think my pops had patches added to a jacket once. Think it was about $40 or so to attach em, but tailors vary.

As for the leather... You can get some online from various leather suppliers. You won't need a half hide or anything, just some scraps. You can also visit a leather supply store like "Tandy Leather" and see what they have. May also want to check craigslist, or find some leather artists and ask where they source from. If it were me, I would grab a bag of nice suede scraps at Tandy. They have many locations in Northern America, if that's where you're located.

This was a suit, right? If not, you may want to go back and scan pants. That last line on the fabric label "Trouser Lining Compos. : 100% Cotton" means there are pants connected with it.

But even as a "suit jacket" that's still very baller and sellable. Great score man. I've also had some nice scores that were the very last item on the rack.

8. Ds13

Ds13 Senior member

My Nordstrom Rack was having a nice little extra 25% off clearance last weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fits more like a medium though, which is making me contemplate keeping everything...

[​IMG]
    My size [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    couldn't leave this wool puffer vest for $12... so into my closet it goes.

9. Takai

Takai Senior member

I usually just go right over to my bin o'leather, and cut out some sort of fun patch, then it takes maybe 10 minutes to attach. Unfortunately no suede right now.

As others have said, Tandy usually has bins of scrap leather, or if I need to order leather I usually get it from https://hidehouse.com/ Great folks, great product.

10. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

I checked for pants, just to be safe, but I'm fairly certain it's a SC. The other St Andrews made pieces that I've seen that are obvious SCs still have that trouser lining composition. Maybe referring to the pocket lining?? Also, the jackets that are part of suit all have "Suit" as the Type, while the SCs have "Jacket", as does this one. Just for reference (and a plug for @Brianpore ), see here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-SAINT-A...741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9ed6560d

11. Letric

Letric Senior member

Ah okay. I've handled only a couple RLPL jackets... Not that knowledgeable about the subtle nuances.

12. suited

suited Senior member

Why not go with tweed patches?

[​IMG]

13. sashae

sashae Senior member

Quick after work rundown:

Lululemon pinstripe trousers, 34.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Faconnable jeans-cut fine cotton khakis, 36XL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very happy score... 100% wool Maison Martin Margiela navy flat front trousers, EU48 -- need to be let down but should fit perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few TM Lewins --15.5/34.5 standard cuff and 15.5/33 FC.

[​IMG]

So.. 'lo heads, what do we have here, if anything? Been Had Custom Fit RL-YC embroidery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ermenegildo Zegna wool/cotton/silk blend polo sweater, 52/L.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and last but not least, this killer vintage McGregor "Regatta Collection" MIUSA madras shirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Is that the only tag (nothing inside the pocket)? The stitching seems sketch. For reference, here are tags from a legit Hermes cotton/linen blazer I picked up in Feb 2015, made by Belvest:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Like $5 bucks on ebay for DIY sew on patches. Sewing is not rocket surgery, thousands of children in sweat shops do that shit every day.