The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Great finds. But, if you find Oxxford 50L don't leave it behind. Buy it! Please for me. I'll buy it and make it worth it for you!

2. Versace Guy

Versace Guy Senior member

One of the better hauls for me in awhile

BBGF long sleeve polo, small
    [​IMG]

Pop
    [​IMG]

Etro, 38
    [​IMG]

J Crew's cousin, J Press navy pinstripe suit, fit like 42R
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recent Oxxford zephyr weave bronze button blazer. This thing literally sparkles when light hits it. Fits like 40R
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pop, RRL selvedge, 32x32
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Christmas wish fulfilled. Tod's suede sneaker, 9.5
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  3. double00

double00 Senior member

^ that navy J Press pinstripe!

4. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

[​IMG]

That shit is 2 gs. Historic and reputable furriers are key. The hate on fur these days has definitely dampened the market but I got a thrift out here that keeps a steady flow of full length minks, fox wraps, rabbit, chinchilla etc... Definetly nowhere near thrift prices cuz they're all vintage from Beverly Hills furriers and they're all mint. The markets there, it's just extremely concentrated in certain geographic locations...gotta find the demand

5. Nobleprofessor

That's what I thought too! I really had to talk myself out of buying the Full Length mink. Maybe I should. Most of the fur coats I find her are from a company called Graggs. They were THE fur store here in our area and they were in business for 50 Years. But, they have been closed for Years and I'm sure almost no one outside of Kansas has heard of them.

6. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

John Serpico from Chicago?!?! Google that name! I also know a Serpico in Miami - her uncle Frank was the basis for the Pacino movie.

7. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Love the avatar, bro.

He prolly donated a bunch of money to that school. Bro, he wasn't innocent. He was hitt'n tha goodz!!! [​IMG]

NOOB ALERT!!! Nah, bro. you gotta keep that shit checked! Keep that poker face! Keep that shit on the DL! You don't want other flippers/lurkers hitt'n your spots! Well, truth is they are prolly hitt'n your spots as we speak...I used to get all
    [​IMG]

But now, the most I've ever do is
    [​IMG]

8. PGRoadhouse

PGRoadhouse Well-Known Member

Took an inconstant hiatus from regular thrifting to get some selling/shipping done, but over the last few weeks I've come up on a number of pretty awesome things through a variety of thrifty methods - true thrift, ethrift, and a very special craigsthrift - that I felt were worth sharing. Everything NA for the time being.

Pretty light on the neckwear lately - 2x BB Makers Equestrian ties

[​IMG]

Ashear handrolled silk scarf/big square

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BB 346 black leather gloves, cashmere lined - not peccary (although I thrifted brown peccary pair {sounds like a fruit} this winter) but will do nicely as beater gloves. Winter...

[​IMG]

Is coming, after all. So this fluff-loomed faribo wool blanket should come in handy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some more decent records - getz/gilberto is the only record I've actively been looking for, so seeing it on top of the pile was especially gratifying.

[​IMG]

MIUSA carharrt canvas hat, for the small headed. Could use a cleaning.

[​IMG]

Also, finally a decent shoe rack that doesn't wobble at the slightest breeze. Seen here with my current regulars (although I rarely wear dress shoes in the summer, I've found).

[​IMG]

VV mint chinos - headed to the bay. Vines stuff is straight up catnip, apparently - haven't had to relist a single piece of vv so far.

[​IMG]

CT wool/cotton tattersall.

[​IMG]

BB flannel and brooksflannel (wool/cotton) plaid bds, made in the states.

[​IMG]

RRL denim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vince wool/yak(!) aran turtleneck - I've been looking for a chunky turtleneck in a dark color for a long while, this fits the bill nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A realll old Viyella lambswool/cotton robe in blackwatch. Definitely some wear but it fits me nicely and is a bit lighter weight than my daniel hanson robe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems like a simple enough item, but a brown tweed jacket has eluded me until now. J Press x Harris Tweed? Yessir. Bulletproof with the spongy feel of good, thick tweed. No alterations necessary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been had, "guaranteed to wrinkle" :)

[​IMG]

Navy linen, made in the states. Another one that fits me perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much in the same vein, and likely from the same donor, a Daks signature DB. Beautifully made, blows the licensed daks shit I've seen out of the water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gaunt London buttons, some of the most substantial I have every encountered. Really weighty, and most likely brass but... long shot, is there a chance they're gold? I'm not much of a metallurgist but hey, it never hurts to ask.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I read the maker as Chester Barrie.. seem right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now a couple of ethrifts, gambles on poor photography and scant information that ended up paying off.

A minty fresh Etro blazer. More reserved than many of Etro's offerings, but this thing has some great details (ticket pocket, throat latch, dual vents) and a nice slim fit. Not bad for the price of a large pizza.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta love a bright purple undercollar.

[​IMG]

All it took was one sportcoat and a tie, but I'm afraid I might have something of a Brioni fixation. Or maybe all I want is to dress like a corrupt Italian detective, circa 1972. Maybe both?

Brioni brown wool graph check suit. Dem lapels! Sleeves need to be bumped out an inch, trousers need a bit of tapering. Otherwise it's perfect - not too much padding/structure, dual vents, and so much damn handwork.

[​IMG]

Oldest Brony tags I've come across.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really curious fabric on this one; a dappled brown/black base with a chalky overcheck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pretty recent Prada suede/wool casual jacket. Fits me well and I love the earthy, autumnal color scheme. Should see plenty of wear this fall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a pop for me, both in object and method. Wishfully searched "leather jacket" on craigslist and, after scrolling past several hundred Wilson and members only WOTs, came across a blurry photo of this beautiful beast -

[​IMG]

Listed as "mens leather jacket" (thank god). One text exchange and a brief trip to a Burger King in a disreputable neighborhood later, I had it in hand (well within the 10% rule, if you're curious). Now the question becomes: keep it? or sell it as soon as temps dip below 50...

Spoilers? Nah.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for today fellas. Best of luck out there in the trenches.

9. Nobleprofessor

Okay. Here are the last brags of the day from me (probably).

This from the second estate sale (shit! I didn't get any of my real work done today!)

@eazye mentioned earlier he found a suit that he had never wanted it to fit more.

I feel the same way about this UltraSuede Trench Coat. WOW! So soft, so smooth. It looks like it is unworn (especially when you see the lining. This thing is amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is from a Company in California I have never heard of.

[​IMG]

Old School Herringbone WOOLRICH Coat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The aforementioned Exotic Shoes.

From Left to Right and Top to Bottom

Johnston Murphy Aristocraft Lizard
    Johnson Murphy Aristorcaft Lizard
    Some brand that says Hand Made in taiwan Lizard
    Florsheim Imperial Alligator/Croc
    and matching Alligator Belt.

[​IMG]

Finally, the ONE tie that I found all day. Seriously. ONE TIE:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

[​IMG]

11. tben

tben Senior member

12. John Sullivan

John Sullivan Well-Known Member

Wish these were my size!! [​IMG]
    Available if they're yours.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. double00

double00 Senior member

oh fuck!

14. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

\

GD that is so sexy. Please dont sell that!

15. eazye

eazye Senior member

PG, I'm not sure where you are located exactly, but I've got a similar shearling and it's seen me through the coldest of days here in the midwest. If it fits you, I say keep it. :fonz: