Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. double00

double00 Senior member

@Nobleprofessor

Fun times!

looks like you succumbed to estate sale fever lol. love the ashtray, looks like a soap opera murder weapon.

re: the levi trucker, if it's made in USA (which it doesn't look like) deadstock stuff can be surprisingly $. Otherwise [​IMG].

they didn't make those slash pockets until the 80s, this actually looks like 90s (or later) and not even mainline Levi's (you want to see a red tab!)

you want to look for stuff that is

- old, red tab, usa-made, in wearable condition. doesn't even need to be selvedge. a great fade is often worthwhile. but very dark indigo is very good.
    - old, orange tab, deadstock
    - or, has a good property on it (similar to t-shirts, is there a motorcycle patch, band, event, something that is desirable flavor - this kinda follows the same logic as @PLaydice t-shirt game)

i'm talking of course about vintage, not boutique obscure stuff from japan. you want denim or leather, even big E leisurewear often won't perform well as a flip. i won't really look at sta-prest or any of that stuff. Typically jackets don't really do well, even big E stuff is easy to find fairly cheaply. sorry for typing a lot. Hope that helps and nice haul!

2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I hope no one was planning to sell a charvet tie. Because the supply side of the equation just vastly overwhelmed the already fairly weak demand side.

Holy crap.

3. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

@Nobleprofessor right now, is in a gold mine. so Jelly.

4. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I am honored that my ranting has allowed me to transcend the rules of grammar and am now not only a pronoun but my diatribes have allowed me to become a predicate now as well. Some may be confused by the flattery but fuck it, I'm a verb now too, suck it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015

5. Hypetrain

Hypetrain Well-Known Member

So, I have a bit of a question. I am a bit new to thrifting (I usually only shop for myself) and I was wondering what kind of stores you guys look at. Do you look at goodwills or at more higher end discount stores? I personally do mostly both but if there is any magical thrifting wisdom you could pass on to me, it would be appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015

6. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Everywhere, anywhere, wherever you can.

[​IMG]

7. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

If your shopping purely for yourself do both, either way your getting a significant discount off high quality clothing. However, as some here such as myself, do this mostly to flip items and just keep a few, we tend to stay more towards the thrift side of things, the Goodwills, Salvation Armys, Savers etc... The quality is harder to find but the margins are extremely better making finds from those places far more profitable. Buying to flip fromt discount stores doesn't even really make sense, the margins are not there, but the deals are for personal use.

8. Hypetrain

Thank you. This really helps!

9. eazye

eazye Senior member

Also back alleys and the trash. One of my favorite chairs (vintage leather club) is a curbside pickup.

10. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Reminds me of the armoire incident on the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld.

11. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

Handful of new posters over the past couple of days...what's going on?

[​IMG]

12. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

Yeah, the dumpier place the better. Goodwill is too sterile, Life comes from dirt, same with diamonds lol.

13. Hypetrain

That is true. I found my Loro Piana shirt at a goodwill which scared the life out of me at first. I think the other shoppers thought I was having a seizure when I ran to my parents announcing my find lol

14. Letric

Letric Senior member

I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think people should "write off" discount stores for flipping. Places like Saks Off 5th Ave, Neiman Marcus Last Call and Nordstrom Rack are your more High-End discounts, but there's still some decent flips to be made there.

Awhile back I posted a huge pile of 50 NWT Zegna ties... Those were all discount-stored. I wouldn't have bought all those if I couldn't make good profit margins on em lol. The key is to go on days when they have big sales, and stock up... Sometimes it also helps to have store rewards cards or w/e.

Now we've acquired all kinds of crazy stuff from discount shops, but one of the flips that I'll always remember was a Martin Dingman Alligator Belt. Copped at Nordy Rack for $60, flipped for $300 in less than a week. That was nice. [​IMG]

15. Sleeves345

Sleeves345 Senior member

Hells yeah. Furnished my apartment with free/thirft/found/Craigslist furniture. In the process of selling it all off for a profit to fund the purchase of a quality couch. Profit margins on free can't be beat.