• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all this talk on tailors, leaves me wondering. Any tell tale signs of a bad/good tailor I can be made aware of? I move closer to a big city Saturday and am hoping to find someone competent.

Anyone that prices you out because they don't want to do the work is a sign of a lazy tailor. I got priced $30 for pant hemming job. DAFUQ.

Or send out some cheap clothes that you don't care for, and see the result.

^^ Must not be the same linda

Capture.JPG

MrUsedThreads

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I saw that exact same DeLoreon on the weekend.
I have a habit of looking at the license plate right away for those because a friend of mine has 2 DeLoreon's, so seeing a 3rd in the Toronto area was random
Doc Brown would take umbrage with so many Deloreans rolling around Toronto all willy-nilly like that. Where is Michael J. Fox when you need him?
cool-great-scott-meme-leaked-nasa-paper-confirms-em-drive-works-break-great-scott-meme.jpg

MrUsedThreads

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
True tailors are in decline in my area, sadly. I worked in my aunt's seamstress shop as a kid sweeping all the serger remains and ferrying garments around, so I know those "little old lady" seamstresses do amazing work, and are more adept in many ways with machines, scissors, etc. It's just so hard to offer up your thrift finds to possible destruction at a new place.

True.. I actually use a couple, one is an old Italian man and the other is an older Mexican dude and each one is better at certain jobs than the other. When trying a new tailor, as I’m sure you all know start with some crap that doesn’t matter if it gets trashed before you move on to your nicer things in need of alterations.

This seems to be true in every place I've lived in the last decade. It's easy enough to find people who refer to themselves as "tailors", but most are just alterations people who will often balk at "real" tailoring. I've encountered quite a few who will try hard to talk me out of any tailoring more complex than shortening sleeves, or letting out pants at the waist or cuff. I think half of it is driven by the market, since most consumers don't use tailors at all, beyond dry-cleaner alterations. But in conversations I've had, I get the impression that many just can't be bothered. They want the simple, easy jobs, not the meticulous and often laborious discipline involved in more complex artisanal activity, especially with high-end, hand-made garments. Ever tried getting one to hand-stitch something? You'd think they'd seen a ghost.

I'll also offer that I use a couple of tailors, depending on my needs. If I have delicate work done, it goes to the place that does in-house bespoke. If I need a jacket sleeve taken in at the shoulder rather than the cuff, it goes to them. The downside is that they cost a fortune. The father is mostly retired, but I'm not crazy about dealing with the son. He doesn't have the same people skills. I may start using another.

For other things, I use a woman that does alterations. She doesn't proclaim to do anything more, but I've ALWAYS been happy with her work. She does it exactly as it's needed and price/turn around time is on point. She couldn't do major operations and it helps that I know exactly what I want/need. She knows fabric and what is & isn't worthwhile.

With all this talk on tailors, leaves me wondering. Any tell tale signs of a bad/good tailor I can be made aware of? I move closer to a big city Saturday and am hoping to find someone competent.

If they agree to anything/everything, even when you know it's a tough job. It's because they aren't sure how to do it, don't know what it entails, or won't do it as needed. This goes for most type of work.

Start with simple jobs and see how they do the work and the price. It's easy to see a terrible job on most work, so its a simple test. If I ask about a price range for work and they tell me "Oh, I really won't know until I start...," I get annoyed. It's your profession, you should be able to give me a workable range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads