• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stewie

Reaction score
Authenticity check. Still thrifting West Coast style.

sorry for sideways pic...

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found my first Tom Ford shirt in LA a few weeks ago. I honestly would have blown over it if not for the label. Doesn't feel any nicer than a Italian made Polo shirt. The one I found was made in Zegna's Switzerland factory and I heard somewhere they were made to Zegna's Couture standards. With that said, I'm not all that impressed with Zegna's Couture shirts either.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's beyond quality or style or materials or any of that. When you buy that **** your paying mostly for exclusivity. For the ability to say **** you I got this **** you don't. The price is to make people feel better about themselves and better than others. Make them feel elite. Same reason why Louis Vuitton raised the prices of all their bags, they were becoming too "accessible" however the quality or styling of anything didn't differ in the slightest. Now that's not to say the materials used by both brands aren't top notch, cuz I can assure you, they are sourced and are of the highest quality, but as far as the shirt is concerned, there's about 750 dollars worth of "**** you, you can't afford this ****" sold with every one of those shirts. $150 of labor sourcing, acquiring, and hand crafting (which they ******* better be doing and highly doubt they are not).

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I was going to buy just a shirt for $1000, it better make me look like Brad Pitt from the waist up and Nacho Vidal below.
Speaking of the latter, a couple years ago I was in Vegas during the Appreciation awards, became quick buddies with Mandingo and got to sit and party with him at his table at the club/party he was hosting the night of the awards. The Appreciation world is something you want to experience once, then shower with pumas rocks and never look back. And to this day, I do not understand how that man doesn't just fall on his face whenever he tries walking forward.

white collar

Reaction score
Noob question, I've seen this label pop up on here a few times but I haven't looked into it yet. A local thrift store I go to has several tuxedo jackets with this tag in it, they are old rental tuxedos but don't have any damage to them, they appear to have been extras that didn't get rented out. Worth picking up?

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found my first Tom Ford shirt in LA a few weeks ago. I honestly would have blown over it if not for the label. Doesn't feel any nicer than a Italian made Polo shirt. The one I found was made in Zegna's Switzerland factory and I heard somewhere they were made to Zegna's Couture standards. With that said, I'm not all that impressed with Zegna's Couture shirts either.
Agree...they're essentially just a more substantial cotton than their mainline, no improvement in quality of cotton though. And if Tom Ford's shirts are being made by machine and not hand, that is beyond ******* atrocious. I would be embarrassed if it got out that I was playing my customers like such fools. A Kiton shirt is $500 and start to finish is made by hand. Uman $450 start to finish completely by hand (and they are ******* incredible, yes I shamed the thread and went retail) , Finamore $450 start to finish made by hand (went discount and they are also simply amazing), same goes for Barba Napoli. If Tom Ford is charging twice that and having his shirts being pumped out of machines that's ******* terrible.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may have the opposite affect. Might be a market for people who wanna front like they got that net jet card, got that G6 gassed up and waitin and the clear port. I know the LP net jet tie does fairly well flippin to the phonies.

Man, those NetJet LP cashmere ties are pure sex... So nice.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Worth picking up?

I'd pass. Loro Piana is an always-grab (and just super-neat regardless), but that is just a Loro Piana fabric tag, meaning the garment was made by another company, and the quality/re-sellability is probably suspect.

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noob question, I've seen this label pop up on here a few times but I haven't looked into it yet. A local thrift store I go to has several tuxedo jackets with this tag in it, they are old rental tuxedos but don't have any damage to them, they appear to have been extras that didn't get rented out. Worth picking up?
Probably not. And I doubt I'll be the first and only answer here, but Loro Piana is a fabric manufcaturer as well as a clothing line, probably the most expensive clothing line in the world. They also produce some of, it not, the finest fabrics in the world and hundreds of brands have turned to them for their fabrics in efforts to sell their products. They get to make their garments out of their fabrics and also get the Loro Piana tag sewn in increasing value. Don't think this automatically means it's worth something though. The garment needs to be taken on a case by case basis and what your describing doesn't sound like it's worthy of a pick up. If they were full length double breasted peak lapel coats made of 100% loro piana cashmere, or better yet Vicuna, the story would be very very different.

EDIT: but yes as NOOB mentioned, if it's Loro Piana brand, not just a little lable sewn in, but an actualy Loro Piana garment, you by that **** immediately.

Last edited:

GM-H

Reaction score
Apparently purchasing partial ownership in a private jet gets you a Loro Piana rain coat
All their pilots have LP jackets for when it gets chilly

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's beyond quality or style or materials or any of that. When you buy that **** your paying mostly for exclusivity. For the ability to say **** you I got this **** you don't. The price is to make people feel better about themselves and better than others. Make them feel elite. ...

Precisely why airlines are willing to let 1st class seats go empty rather than discount them and/or let people bump up to 1st class for $50 or $100 - to maintain the aura of exclusivity. (but next time you're flying, consider how much more it really costs - in some cases, it's cheaper to fly 1st!)

Or, why Ray-Ban stopped production entirely for two years after the brand had gotten so diluted and was subsequently bought out, then came back with quality stuff again.

white collar

Reaction score
I'd pass. Loro Piana is an always-grab (and just super-neat regardless), but that is just a Loro Piana fabric tag, meaning the garment was made by another company, and the quality/re-sellability is probably suspect.

Probably not. And I doubt I'll be the first and only answer here, but Loro Piana is a fabric manufcaturer as well as a clothing line, probably the most expensive clothing line in the world. They also produce some of, it not, the finest fabrics in the world and hundreds of brands have turned to them for their fabrics in efforts to sell their products. They get to make their garments out of their fabrics and also get the Loro Piana tag sewn in increasing value. Don't think this automatically means it's worth something though. The garment needs to be taken on a case by case basis and what your describing doesn't sound like it's worthy of a pick up. If they were full length double breasted peak lapel coats made of 100% loro piana cashmere, or better yet Vicuna, the story would be very very different.

EDIT: but yes as NOOB mentioned, if it's Loro Piana brand, not just a little lable sewn in, but an actualy Loro Piana garment, you by that **** immediately.

Thank you both !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads