• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. The thread has a basic purpose. Also, people shouldn't be rude, new or otherwise. It's rude to hijack the thread with silly questions just like it's rude to snap at people who don't yet know the social norms here and make an honest mistake.

But kids in online video games hound "noobs" in pretty much the same fashion as the post I read. Really? So many noobs you're taking your pile of clothes and going home?

Nah, low grade bullying sucks, no matter how much you value your #thriftlife. In fact, the more you value your #thriftlife, the more your whiny attitude towards #noobs is likely to result from some latent need to impose yourself on someone--deserving or not. Everyone comes here for his or her own reason. I've learned a ton and built a respect for the group here and the clothing. Pretty cool. Glad no one clobbered me in the process. Everyone brings his or her own perspective and value. You folks share so much about so many things. But there are folks in different threads and on other sites who could teach you 100 new things about garment quality each day-- things that could make you money. And they'd probably like to learn from you - at least 1 or 2 of them. But no one wants to get lambasted for making a dumb comment or two.

As long as we treat each other with respect-- try to ask good questions and try to answer with empathy-- this is a great resource. And, for the most part, that is the vibe here.

being the thrift sheriff is lame, because a thread fill of thrift sheriffs isn't going to survive and thrive. Fortunately, this isn't a thread full of thrift sheriffs. Otherwise it wouldn't have gotten as vibrant, fun and helpful as it is. Keep it that way.

+100

Meeting new people is a great way to learn new things. Got to be empathetic, just like they should be too

I have no idea why you're typing paragraphs towards me about bullying or whining.

eaeden

Reaction score
I have no idea why you're typing paragraphs towards me about bullying or whining.
Umm.. yeah... I got worked up and super erudite and then changed my mind... Then sent by accident because I'm clumsy. SO... Oops.

Pronto Merona

Reaction score
Couple of recent ties. Ppu $1.99
The RT has a very cool,
52760268-F185-46BC-8649-102BCAE27BB6.jpeg
4CE6C8F4-259D-4EB7-B95F-6081BA09A539.jpeg
dime-sized spot I missed in store so I get to work on that. Which is nice.

eaeden

Reaction score
That said, I think being cool to each other - even folks who don't know as much as you- or those who know more- is cool. Generally, the people on this thread are cool and that's why it's a good place to learn. Busting noobs chops? I wasn't here in the golden age (i guess), but I've learned a lot over the last couple years here, and I haven't seen some major change in the nature of the questions. So creating bad vibes for no reason sure seems intended to make yourself feel better at others' expense.

Umm.. yeah... I got worked up and super erudite and then changed my mind... Then sent by accident because I'm clumsy. SO... Oops.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What bothers me is not so much as new people asking questions, it's that they rarely seem to be paying it forward. In an ideal forum, you would have someone who joined 6 months ago helping out someone who joined just now with basic questions like 'Who makes this PRL Italy jacket', and the more experienced members tending to higher level queries like 'Is this Belstaff jacket embossed'.

But what happens is that it's the same people answering *all* types of questions. The least you could do is disseminate the knowledge that you specifically received. So, if someone helped you out with BB/Lardini tag, the next time the question comes up (and it *will* come up), be the first one to answer it. This is not asking for much.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What bothers me is not so much as new people asking questions, it's that they rarely seem to be paying it forward. In an ideal forum, you would have someone who joined 6 months ago helping out someone who joined just now with basic questions like 'Who makes this PRL Italy jacket', and the more experienced members tending to higher level queries like 'Is this Belstaff jacket embossed'.

But what happens is that it's the same people answering *all* types of questions. The least you could do is disseminate the knowledge that you specifically received. So, if someone helped you out with BB/Lardini tag, the next time the question comes up (and it *will* come up), be the first one to answer it. This is not asking for much.

Part of building such a community is not being an asshole to noobs.

I’ve been using online forums since the dark ages of 14.4 modems. This has not changed. People are more likely to stick around if the veterans are lighthearted with their critique of the noobs’ posts.

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute,did you actually look me up because you thought I was serious .lol,you know it's a Seinfeld reference right .

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just try to remove yourself from the profit you would attain. Obviously don't hurt yourself, but there's enough stuff to find that you could spare some closet space versus having it sit there for a few months for what you'd like to get for it.

Its all about spreading happiness and joy :)

I'm going to join if I can post enough **** between then and now. Have fun everyone!

Haha, that's not going to be a problem since I only thrift for myself but I've definitely got some good stuff that's not being used in the rotation. Already putting together my gift pack in my head. Just hope whoever I get is somewhat close to my size although I'll try to throw some accessories in as well.

ORLThrifter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Already putting together my gift pack in my head. Just hope whoever I get is somewhat close to my size although I'll try to throw some accessories in as well.
I have always prided myself as a good gifter(?) and this being my first Thriftmas I'm a little intimidated by last years thread!

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, that's not going to be a problem since I only thrift for myself but I've definitely got some good stuff that's not being used in the rotation. Already putting together my gift pack in my head. Just hope whoever I get is somewhat close to my size although I'll try to throw some accessories in as well.

And this can be a part of it as well. Theoretically, you should get the information about who you are buying for with weeks to go before you send your package. Most of us here have at least some basic data on sizing and like/preferences on this site. Hopefully you can keep an eye out while Thrifting in November for something geared to your person. For example, you find out your recipient really needs some ties for work. Easy for you to pick up a few (hopefully) and make that part of/all of your gift. Of course real nice stuff out of size is nice too but please remember that not all of us sell direct to the public. For me, I thrift for me and my family and friends but have Spoopoker as a reseller for items I feel are too valuable to leave behind. But reselling non high end items including shipping is usually not worth my time. So, from my perspective I would rather have non sized items. Having said that it is a really casual gift exchange and as long as you put in some effort your recipient will be happy.

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That said, I think being cool to each other - even folks who don't know as much as you- or those who know more- is cool. Generally, the people on this thread are cool and that's why it's a good place to learn. Busting noobs chops? I wasn't here in the golden age (i guess), but I've learned a lot over the last couple years here, and I haven't seen some major change in the nature of the questions. So creating bad vibes for no reason sure seems intended to make yourself feel better at others' expense.

Seems like you're taking his dislike of rehashed questions a little personal.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hi there. I only created an account to let people know what happened to Dan aka theneedmachine. I know he had a huge presence all over the internet, so I am trying to help give some answers where I can. I am in touch with his family. He passed away suddenly in mid March. He had a severely enlarged heart a few blocked arteries. He died suddenly from a heart attack, he did not have any pain or prior cardiac symptoms. He was cremated and his remains are with family. I completely understand at shock. he was a brother to me, and best friend for over 25 years. I hope that this helps and if you could please let others know.
Take Care,
Kristine

My sincerest condolences on your loss. I think we were all saddened to hear of Dan's passing. Thank you for updating us since I'm sure you're aware of his impact here.

Since we're doing our annual gift exchange, you might enjoy knowing that whenever Dan participated, he always said he had enough clothing and directed his gift to be a donation to the local humane society.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads