• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't worry. It is all in fun. Not everyone has access to amazing stuff. If you do your best to get something you believe your recipient will like, they will be happy. Of course we all dream of getting Spoo as our giver!
Santa Claus dreams of getting Spoo as his giver.

Darkadious

Reaction score
Signed up for thriftmas. Then clicked on last year's gift thread and now I'm real intimidated. You guys are sending some baller boxes of shell and nwt suits. I thought it was going to be mostly ties/scarves/socks and the occasional sweater.

Just try to remove yourself from the profit you would attain. Obviously don't hurt yourself, but there's enough stuff to find that you could spare some closet space versus having it sit there for a few months for what you'd like to get for it.

Its all about spreading happiness and joy :)

I'm going to join if I can post enough **** between then and now. Have fun everyone!

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Been posting my backlog rather than heading out and about, but couldn't pass up this Ralph Lauren for two Bens and a half. More pix when I get it home. Any thoughts on restoration, furniture experts?

rl chair.jpg

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Just gonna put this out there... the stream of noob qs are a huge drag. Ill check back in a year or so when folks figure it out and start posting brags.

Noobs are great!
well. . . things are different.

Remember when it was:
" I got an interview, so went into a thrift shop, and got me a Brioni suit that fits well for $25. i'm hooked, this is excellent. happy to meet you guys ,nice crowd in here"

Now it's:
"Thrifters on youtube brought me here. i heard some guy bought a ferrari from selling on ebay, how many POLO items do i have to sell to get one? I'm making so much money, i sold a tie for $25. this is excellent, why are you guys pricks?"

Glad to meet and help noobs. but i'm always going to wonder. What brings you here?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What brings you here?

What got me interested in this thread was, when I was diagnosed with diabetes, I went on a crash diet and started shedding the kilos big-time. I worked in a bank and I couldn't afford to go buy a new suit every month, so I started getting clothes for myself at op shops, based on the advice I got here. Then I got hooked.

The main reason I keep coming back is not to brag, but because I think this thread is probably the most informative thread on SF. I find out so much about labels I've never heard of, how to tell good from bad, how to clean stuff, who makes what, what can be saved and what can't and much more. Don't underestimate the value of this thread as an information source, and maybe put up with questions from people who are early on their learning curve. Nobody has to answer them.

freehand

Reaction score
Can’t say I’ve noticed that much difference in noob questions, and as long as there aren’t hundreds asking for valuations then who really cares. Everyone has to start somewhere. Also, the stock answer of “read the thread (both parts)” still applies!

I’m in for the Gift Exchange, huge thanks to @HansderHund for his efforts.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I’m currently on holiday in the Algarve, and drove past a church charity shop the other day. Am trying to find an hour away from the beach with the family to drop in. This is a sickness - noobs beware.

If you think thrifting is a sickness, wait until you get hooked on thrifting vintage perfume, and the strange looks you get from your rugged mates when they learn that's how you spend your spare time. :)

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should start a special thread for people as awesome at posting brags as you are... But you should try not to post so many whiny comments about people who are as excited about this hobby (or job for spoo) as you are, or the super cool only brag people will boot you..

Well, I mean, if you want to get snippy with him then one could easily point out that's what this thread was for. I don't mind the questions or helping anyone but I can see how it's annoying to see the same rehashed questions asked over and over and "should I buy for xx?" asked over and over. There's so much information that can be parsed from simply reading the thread.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
What got me interested in this thread was, when I was diagnosed with diabetes, I went on a crash diet and started shedding the kilos big-time. I worked in a bank and I couldn't afford to go buy a new suit every month, so I started getting clothes for myself at op shops, based on the advice I got here. Then I got hooked.

The main reason I keep coming back is not to brag, but because I think this thread is probably the most informative thread on SF. I find out so much about labels I've never heard of, how to tell good from bad, how to clean stuff, who makes what, what can be saved and what can't and much more. Don't underestimate the value of this thread as an information source, and maybe put up with questions from people who are early on their learning curve. Nobody has to answer them.

Well said, your reason mirrors many members. needing a wardrobe fast, or to save money.
your posts are always quality. you have good taste. pics are great. and overall, you are a member i really enjoy reading.

This thread has been a wonderful crowd. with information on a variety of interesting topics. i suppose keeping it interesting has been the thing i value the most. afraid it will become a singularity. i miss the barn scrounging, the restorations,the polite, but heated debates,diy projects. and people's random hobbies. i miss the cool interesting stuff. there used to be so much more of it.

and if noobs are into fascinating hobbies to teach us about,making things, fixing things,saving money,debating the relevance of corduroy,and helping others?
we are going to be good friends. :cheers:

stay awesome @California Dreamer you have a supporter here. :fonz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads