• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope one of you guys got that pair of Saint Laurent shoes...i clicked BIN but already gone...

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost went there, but heading back home (north) in rush hour traffic kept me away. That pile of ties in the photo looked promising. What was that crazy patchwork tie?

The patchwork tie was what caught my eye. It was a Robert Talbott BOC (actually two of them) but they were marked up. No other menswear though which was a bummer. Insanely cool house though. One of the Dayton’s.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of the few things I thrift I will actually keep (chances of finding something for yourself seem so low). Small size aviators which I never find! Randolph Engineer Sportsman x Orvis 23k gold plated, green polarized lenses. $1.99!

IMG_20171019_221413.jpg

ORLThrifter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also found some nice ties that had been tagged through the front. They also had them hanging knotted :brick:
While it's not Hermes, I got home and then noticed the tagging. I'm just shocked that someone would tag any piece of clothing with this kinda staple ****.
20171019_222936.jpg

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Week 2 of estate sale addiction

35 year old belt sander will help with my boot making endeavors
RhFGoz5.jpg

@SpooPoker or anyone else. Did I pass on anything good with these furs? I could easily go back, it's 5 minutes away. Priced around $50 each.

This thing weighed at least 30 pounds (not exaggerating) and was a heavy wull with these furs (minks?) inside with the tails still attached, which was terrifying.

5NvaOj0.jpg

yyajyEL.jpg
JYYlInL.jpg

These were all real fur, but not sure what. No makers tags.
B0UvdAb.jpg

aecf8fJ.jpg

ePVc0iw.jpg
:slayer::drool: so jelly! that Belt sander is a fantastic piece of kit. proper beast tool.

You are making boots? if not beyond my budget, i'd love to wear your boots. and know a few guys here who might also want genuine workshop hand made boots. please post your boot making adventure. keen to follow it.

Furs? unless for personal, or a friend. i'd pass. tough sell. Belt sander will make you more money. :cheers:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much better day today and a cracking day to be out shopping.

Pants.
20171020_164711.jpg

20171020_164815.jpg

20171020_164833.jpg

20171020_164904.jpg

20171020_164926.jpg

Shirts. P&S is linen
20171020_164030.jpg

Polos. Pretty sure the Brioni is new. It still has the fold marks.
20171020_164259.jpg

Jackets.
This is only made in Honkers, but it's 100% bamboo and fits me perfectly. I think i'll be wearing this a bit in summer. Take a look at the skirt; they forgot to remove the secure tag, so I have to go back.
20171020_163326_001.jpg

20171020_163458.jpg

20171020_163607.jpg

20171020_163619.jpg

Sundry stuff
20171020_164526.jpg

20171020_164343.jpg

This is probably not very exciting for you, but this is the original, Shiseido's first internationally-released perfume. It's been discontinued for about 20 years, and this bottle is full.
20171020_165021.jpg

I know I always whinge about the stuff I had to leave but there were some biggies today. Barbera shirt, Borrelli ties, a Lorenzini tie, a Fray shirt and my first ever Sulka ties, all of which had a bit too much damage. I hated to leave this one behind, but they wanted $300 for it.
20171020_122931.jpg
20171020_122842.jpg

Finally, this is a pair of Giorgio Armani shoes made in England. Does anyone recognise who made these?
20171020_104530.jpg

View attachment 861309

Last edited:

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stevenkmason

Reaction score
:slayer::drool: so jelly! that Belt sander is a fantastic piece of kit. proper beast tool.

You are making boots? if not beyond my budget, i'd love to wear your boots. and know a few guys here who might also want genuine workshop hand made boots. please post your boot making adventure. keen to follow it.

Furs? unless for personal, or a friend. i'd pass. tough sell. Belt sander will make you more money. :cheers:

Yeah I’m pumped about the sander. It’s eztremely heavy duty.

I will post on here once I make some more progress. I’ve made a couple pairs hand closing the uppers or using a “prosumer” quality flatbed machine and neither method was ideal. Boots especially require a post or cylinder bed machine to close and get a proper curve on the backstay and heel cup formed. I had to take a little break to pay for my wedding but I’m picking up an industrial sewing machine next week and will be resuming the journey in earnest. I’ll post some updates on here as things come along.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Yeah I’m pumped about the sander. It’s eztremely heavy duty.

I will post on here once I make some more progress. I’ve made a couple pairs hand closing the uppers or using a “prosumer” quality flatbed machine and neither method was ideal. Boots especially require a post or cylinder bed machine to close and get a proper curve on the backstay and heel cup formed. I had to take a little break to pay for my wedding but I’m picking up an industrial sewing machine next week and will be resuming the journey in earnest. I’ll post some updates on here as things come along.

hard to explain, but watching people work. and using skills to create function or beauty. is an obsession of mine.
i have to jump in and try it. often failing. but appreciating the craftsmen even more. creators are my favorite people.

Skills collected so far: Mechanic,Mig/Tig/Arc/oxy welding,Bodywork&paint,Refrigeration/AC tech,gas fitting,Lathe& metal fabrication, Carpentry, Bricklaying,plumbing,electrical,hand sewing,machine sewing, now? -Teaching.

doing/making something yourself. or for others. is #Thriftlife.

if you can make me some boots? they will be along for the adventure. work boots,gnarly sole. like a basketball boot with a vibram sole. put me down. i'll make it happen.

keep on working at your dreams. some might smirk. or dismiss,but this guy? believes in you. in hard work. and the beauty of it.
you rock.

also, Congratulations on the wedding.

Last edited:

mrFurly

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of estate sales that start on weekday evenings.

They had a few $50 Hermes that I left. These were in the $4/ea pile. Pop on Net Jets tie.
View attachment 861232
are the clothes mentioned in the sale ads you go to?

Thats whats tough about estate sales...its been my experience that its tough to know what youre driving to...can be a complete waste of time.

on the other hand...I went to one that had a basement full of skeets...I mean, literally racks and racks of skeets...it was crazy. And then in their bedrooms they had nothing but Versace and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads