• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the2ndhandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Kiton jeans retail for $1200, FYI. I had a guy bring in a handful of those exact same pair a few weeks ago with the tags still attached.
I thrifted the exact same pair and had them tailored. There are few things i keep but i wasnt letting them go. There Great summer pants.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty okay week for me.

PRL double sided scarf cashmere/silk scarf. NA. It has a few pulls but it was only $1.
IMG_6364.JPG

Leather Man for UVA for a friend, BB black calf (38), W. Kleinberg patchwork lizard/gator (NA and a dirt cheap e-thrift)
IMG_6386.JPG

Ledbury (16.5). On the fence about keeping this.
IMG_6433.JPG

Sulka cotton/linen. 17. Already sold.
IMG_6340.JPG

Hertling linen x 2 (both 36). Might keep the striped ones. They fit great but I'm not sure how I feel about striped odd pants. Pop! Howard Yount made in Italy pants (30).
IMG_6412.JPG

IMG_6416.JPG

IMG_6422.JPG

J.Press tweed. Passed on this exact same coat about 20 minutes earlier across town but left it do to ****** DIY suede elbows patches that were more like wrist patches they were so close to the cuff.
IMG_6427.JPG

Burberry x 2, Canali, current Hickey Freeman, BB bow
IMG_6365.JPG

IMG_6366.JPG

All NA: Zegna seersucker, BB, Barney's, Isaia 7 fold
IMG_6392.JPG

IMG_6393.JPG

Bill's Private Stock bow (NA)
IMG_6397.JPG

(Truly NWOT and unworn) Gustin x 2. #194 Slim (35) and #239 Skinny (37). Really wanted the 194 to fit but they were crushing my nuts.
IMG_6401.JPG

IMG_6408.JPG

Ladies Hunter boots for a friend, AE Dalton boots (12D), Stan Smiths for me, Florsheim shell gunboats (possibly keeping)
IMG_6349.JPG

e-thrifted Brioni chore coat. Seller neglected to mention it's 80% cashmere with leather buttonholes.
IMG_6329.JPG

Last edited:

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
The highs and lows of estate sales . . .

This is the kind of thing that keeps us awake half the night: seeing a picture like this in an estate sale listing for a 7500sf, $3.5M home. I couldn't wait to get up and out at the crack of dawn, ready to hit the hour-long drive to the location.

closet.jpeg

Story is behind the spoiler:

Breathlessly tearing into the 3000sf master suite, and into the men's closet, the onset of reality CRUSHED in an instant my massive expectations, as I realize that almost all of those damn jackets are from Men's Wearhouse/JAB. Not all, but most. Abboud? Alfani? Joe Bank? Hong Kong tailor? It was all there. Oh mama, talk about crestfallen. Why do people in multi-million dollar homes buy low-quality clothing? There were only seven jackets/suits from that sale worth the kop, and here they are:

Balenciaga x 2, Jack Victor x 2 (not shown), NWT cashmere by "It's" (whoever they were), nice silk Corny, a Pal Zileri blazer and a Vestimenta cash. The cherry was a stone mint Zileri Su Misura shadow-stripe tux.
IMG_6723.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1433.jpeg

Despite that initial disappointment, all was not lost, though, as I pulled 63 shirts (almost all skeets) out of the other side. The first RG, surprisingly unskeetish, is shown above, while here are some of the others (some Ricci and Tombolini in there too):
fullsizeoutput_142f.jpeg

And more . . . The rack above (with mostly dark collars, see below) went to a local consignment store, so I wouldn't have to deal with them, but the pile below went home, and here's why. It was in that very parking lot that the rest of the roller-coaster drama unfolded. Turns out that the guy was a big fan of spray tanning, so all the light/white shirts had a visibly "tan" collar edge. This was not readily visible in the dimmer interior light of the closet, but popped big time in the daylight. So "her ladyship" is going to be very busy over the next few days with her array of solvents. I'll post once they're ready.
fullsizeoutput_1430.jpeg

Finally, there were a few items from the Napoleon store in Vegas, so there were a few decent pieces there, including two nice leather jackets and some sweaters.

fullsizeoutput_1434.jpeg

I also grabbed a dozen pairs of Zanella unicorns (not pictured) and a bunch of random Talbott bow ties etc. Some cycling gear too.

The combination of lack of sleep, excited anticipation, a long drive, the highs of expectation, and the lows of reality setting in was a roller coaster ride that had me completely fried by the time I got home. And the work hasn't even begun. Hence my love-hate relationship with estate sales . . . only four times in a decade has that array of tailored clothing pictured in an estate listing been Kiton, Brioni, RLPL and the rest. It's an exercise in what Jim Rohn used to call "disciplining your disappointment" and recognizing that there was still plenty there, even if it wasn't what you hoped . . .

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, C&J or EG? Didn't think EG did the Polo line, but thought I'd ask just to be sure.
IMG_7517.JPG
IMG_7520.JPG

eaeden

Reaction score
Pal zileri sartoriale mint, <5%, sorry for cruddy pics

Not sure why the non obsessed populace sleeps on PZ Sartoriale.

View attachment 817732

Screenshot_20170722-123714.png

Screenshot_20170722-123709.png

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
thats pretty damn good. I like the pizza ears.

Thanks! I specialize in pizza ears.

Very nice drawing,
the dog reminds me of my parents' Irish soft coated terrier

I love Irish terriers and wouldn't mind having one some day!

Hans,

I always visualize you living in a Downton Abbey universe--where is time for leisure, fine wool and heritage dog breeds. Just saying as a sincere compliment.

My wife absolutely loved that comment.

Today I learned we have the same dog. View attachment 817315

Great looking dog! This is my buddy:

FullSizeRender.jpg

@HansderHund to make it black and white just change the scan to one bit. You could also go grey scale at very low number of shades like 4 bit, to keep some of the shading.

Square is easy. You just have change the canvas size instead of image size and then fill in the blank space. View attachment 817284

Removing the background is a little more time-consuming. If you have any sort of Photoshop/Pixelmator/Gimp-type program, you need to use the magic want to remove the background. I tried, thinking it would be quick, but with the fine lines, the magic wand ended up deleting portions of those. I'm sure someone who actually has some formal education in these programs could do it in 10 seconds though.

Or just increase contrast to scrub the off white. Were it me id redraw on a piece of paper lol but im lo fi

I'd love to do that, but embarrassingly I'm not sure I can. I'm not an artist by any stretch of the imagination, I just sketched a couple of portraits of my dog when I got an Apple Pencil.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone that offered help and advice. I think I managed to get it to what I wanted using a variety of your suggestions. I sincerely appreciate the help as it saves a huge amount of time compared to going down the rabbit hole through google. I'll take a few shots of the finished product!

Oh, and hope to have some thrift finds to post by tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads