1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

One of the reasons I love thrifting is finding those things in my size... These are quite as old as 1989. They are from around 1996 or so. I got my first pair in 1992 (on my birthday, the same day I got my REI Membership).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  2. Brookston

Brookston Member

Does this look legit?

I found this silk scarf at an estate sale, and didn't look too closely because it was in the midst of authentic Burberry and Yves Saint Laurent. Now that I'm at home, Medusa doesn't look quite right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Senior member

The reason those old ones held up so well is they looped the webbing under the footbed. Later (around 97?) they started to just anchor the webbing so the footbeds would tear more quickly. I think this was around the time they bought Simple shoes, come to think of it.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^^Versace is fake.

1 person likes this.
  5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PPU 10
    (sorry so dark, its a letterman jacket)

6 people like this.
  6. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

I still have my pair of 1st gen 1992 Nike ACG Air Deschutz sandals. Those things take a licking better than a Timex watch.

1 person likes this.
  7. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Senior member

TWSS

4 people like this.
  8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

The only issue I ever had with the old Universals was the outsole splitting. The early ones didn't seem to have that issue (better rubber?). My high school biology teacher had a first generation pair (1985?) that he wore a lot even into the mid-90s.

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Woah, looks like my dogs!

Keep those flip flops away from them!

1 person likes this.
  10. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

You ever seen the documentary "Alpo"?

11. double00

double00 Senior member

[​IMG]

a nice italian Varvatos piece, canvas cafe racer, lampo zips, great color. barely kopping these days but this one made the cut.

9 people like this.
  12. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

My wife and I spontaneously decided to book a trip to the US in April. It's highly dependent on whether our dog sitter can watch our dog. Long story short, we would be in the middle of the country and have our one year old. I am willing and able to take a day to go somewhere else to thrift. I'm willing to fly or drive but would like to return that night, no matter how late. I don't really mind whether it would be "pointless" to travel X hours and only have Y hours in said city.

Places to which I could reasonably drive are pretty limited, so most likely bets would be Chicago or Indianapolis.

I'm taking a look at Southwest's website to see possible places I could fly. Origin city would be St. Louis.

Potential cities I'm considering:

Austin: been there, had fun
    Dallas-Forth Worth: see above
    Houston: see above

Long Island: heard the thrifting is so good, you are able to buy a Ferrari

Somewhere in southern Florida: $10,000 plexiglass tables and art everywhere, but you have to know which artist made it in 1967 because it will be unsigned/unmarked

Minneapolis/St. Paul: Never been, but understand I'd have to thrift from the back of the local Goodwill manager's trunk

Atlanta: Had fun, Marshalls was great but their Aquarium was unbelievably expensive

San Fransico/LA: Insane to fly for so long, but come on...I get excited just thinking about what you COULD find in a store

Outlier:
    Boston: most expensive ticket

So, I'm soliciting opinions. I'd love to keep the ticket to $300 or less if possible. I don't mind repeating cities I've been, but preference goes to new cities. I'd of course like to maximize my time, but the option is then obvious (driving), which may very well be the case. I figured I'd come up with my plan first, then tell my wife (soon-to-be married guys take note) because I'd be able to justify it in my mind.

If the dog sitter gives us a go, I'll book the tickets in about 8 hours. If not, I'll have to reconsider.

Let's hear your ideas.

1 person likes this.
  13. double00

double00 Senior member

never been but i'm very curious about the carolinas,

i suspect they have a little bit of everything as far as thrifting.

i'd probably hit the tri-cities in n. carolina (raleigh, durham, chapel hill) and then road trip on down the coast.

i guess that makes me tri-curious.

4 people like this.
  14. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

Id hit Chicago, even if thrifts don't work out - it's America's second greatest city
    only second to New York

2 people like this.
  15. vexco

vexco Senior member

Not really worth it for him I'd think. Triangle area thrifts aren't that great.

1 person likes this.
  16. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

TWSS

2 people like this.
  17. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

@HansderHund
    As you can tell from the absolute garbage I post I would avoid coming to *redacted* at all cost

6 people like this.
  18. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Ha. Tickets were over the $300 threshold, but was in that area years ago. Really fun.

One for Chicago, possibly the most logical choice.

Ha. Staring at the map, usernames were popping up and what they've posted. You made the cut. :nodding:

19. Woofa

Woofa Senior member

If you decide on Dallas just let me know. Would be great to meet and do some Thrifting.

2 people like this.
  20. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Thrift fit. We match!

[​IMG]

Me:

Jacket - Chippewa (thrift)
    Shirt - Taylor Stitch (eBay)
    Jeans - Hartford Denim Co. (thrift)
    Boots - Red Wing (Discount)

Son:

Shirt-Jac: Oshkosh (thrift)