1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Shanejosephxxx

Shanejosephxxx Senior member

^ Those trunks are sweet. I too have been looking for new ones for this summer but nothing yet.

1 person likes this.
  2. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Found these less than a minute later. Thread first?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.atalaye.com/en/produit/ilbaritz-2/

5 people like this.
  3. white collar

white collar Senior member

Old but real, probably 80's, they seem to sit forever on the bay, probably something to leave.

4. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Thrift brag: I saw a guy walking around the store with a puppy on his shoulder like a parrot and it was magical.

[​IMG]

(This was four years ago. Just came across it again in my photo library.)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    16 people like this.
  5. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Senior member

1 week too late for these:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Gajsek

Gajsek Senior member

Are these groovy Missonis anything?

[​IMG]P

7. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Senior member

Foster & Son, London. Anyone recognize this maker? Maybe it's their own?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Yeah, I'll bet it's a fool's paradise out there today. Sadly, like every day now, I'm buried in work up to my neck. So good luck out there, competition.

I did, and did OK by my standards, but that's every day now.

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Pretty sure that's their in-house bespoke stuff. Sadly, as I've found out, the market is not as strong as I thought....

2 people like this.
  10. Principle

Principle Senior member

How's the quality on Orlebar Brown trunks? I've been wear patagonia stuff in the summer, their swimwear doubles as a normal fast drying short especially if I'm cycling or hiking and swimming in the same day.

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Having handled both, I can tell you that the OB stuff is more stylish than the Patagonia stuff. But quality wise, I think you'd be hard pressed to beat Patagonia, especially at the price point.

3 people like this.
  12. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Because of your outdoor gear knowledge, do you have a top 5-10 brands in terms of quality?

13. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Today has been a riot of swimwear. So far, in addition to the ones already photographed, I am up to around 30 swimsuits. Most of them are Tommy Bahama, PRL, Polo Sport, Patagonia, Brooks Brothers, Vineyard Vines, Southern Marsh, Pelagic, etc. Should provide at least a little profit.

14. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

I really like OB clothing. Their trunks are on m list for this summer, plus they've been in the recent Bond flicks. Probably just biased but oh well!

15. Woofa

Woofa Senior member

So I am looking at the Stanley Korshak website as I sometimes do when things are a little slow at work. Admiring the Kiton, the Belvest, the Cuci and then I start seeing leather jackets by Robert Comstock. Now I know I have seen that name before in the thrifts, particularly the endurance level which looks to be an okay jacket on the Wilson's "buy it in the mall" type level. However these are limited edition, made in Italy coats at the $5,000 level. There is a nice website with no access to prices but little else online so figured I would see what experience you all may have had.
    Is this the same company? Reborn as a luxury brand? Am I going to have to start looking twice when I see that name on a jacket?
    (Note, I don't think I would have left over any coats while thrifting that look like the ones for sale at SK. These look to be a completely different level and I can only hope I would spot the quality regardless of the brand.)

16. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Do you mean just for outdoors gear in general? Or a specific category? There are lots of niche makers out their who blow away the big brands.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  17. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

I guess I meant in general, but would also be interested in the niche makers too. I'm in this weird want to learn stage and I've been coming across more and more outdoor gear here in Cleveland, spiking my interest.

18. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

It really depends on what particular niche you're looking at. I'm not as familiar with outdoors sports like kayaking or downhill mountain bike racing, but for general purpose outdoors (I'll define that here as camping, hiking, backpacking, climbing), here are some of my favorites. Lists aren't really in order. I own, or have owned, stuff by all of these brands and have found them to be the best made stuff I have...

Voormi
    Melanzana
    Feathered Friends
    Western Mountaineering
    Ibex
    Patagonia
    Filson
    Pendleton
    Smartwool
    Alico
    Zamberlan
    Salomon
    Five Ten
    Black Diamond
    Fish
    Metolius

Jeez, I could go on, but those are most of my favorites...

3 people like this.
  19. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

This is great, thanks man. Recently picked up (I think it's old) a Camp 7 down jacket. I couldn't get cold in that thing if I tried. I was stoked to find that thing. It's in a XL and a bit too big but IDC ha.

2 people like this.
  20. Principle

Principle Senior member

ZPacks gear is not to be missed, too.