1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Horween via press release a few months back at least, said all other Cordovan leathers besides the Color #8 (And also I believe black is still going to be produced as well), were going to be cut from major production from this point forward. The overhead too high, the yield not enough, some take a greater amount of time to tan, and overall just the cost benefit analysis of the whole operation left them with this decision....

Edit: Try and find any shoe released in the past year or two that is cordovan and not #8 or black shell, and produced in the US.....I mean the cordovan leather source is like the second layer of skin from the rear panel of the horse, It is not a very big area and it is a hard area to simply source in the first place. Thus they just wanna use it to produce sure things I guess.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  2. vexco

vexco Senior member

Some random stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  3. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

Can anyone ID?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Wow. Ignore my message; just saw this. Those are amazing.

[​IMG]

Huh.

Good thing I saw this AFTER I sold my pair of Horween stamped cigar (I think) Wolverine 1000 Mile Limited Editions.

Speaking of, does anyone else have a hard time telling some shades of ravello from cigar?

1 person likes this.
  5. OolongT

OolongT Senior member

[​IMG] on being able to find a Royal Warrant - I scoured the earth looking for one and couldn't find one. However, I counted 7/10 [​IMG]

1. NO - A piece of tailored clothing produced by or otherwise bearing the name of a film/TV star (bonus points if its a talk show host)
    2. YES - Smiley face mug
    3. NO - 5 pieces of Donald Trump clothing in one group shot
    4. YES - One piece of Thanksgiving bric a brac
    5. YES - the squarest toe shoes (mens) you can. Bonus points given for the squarest.
    6. YES - One Nicole Miller tie
    7. YES - a shirt with a monogram on it
    8. YES - A Van Heusen garment with a royal warrant on it
    9. YES - Something made in Japan
    10. NO - An in store selfie of you with at least one other human in the picture, standing on one leg

6. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

Toe box looks a little pointed like plaza last. It's hard to tell from the side. If you can give a photo of them from the top showing them it's like night and day between plaza and barrie last.

7. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Senior member

Thanks for keeping me honest

2 people like this.
  8. OolongT

OolongT Senior member

Blazer definitely counts - thought that was a shirt. Rooting for you! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

You know, I may have confused the barrie and the plaza. Some of my cordovan Alden boots and such are 6-7 years old by now, that in addition with the various other pairs I have and it sooner or later just starts to all fall by the way side. I actually believe the boots that i have similar to those ones, are actually the Plaza last and barrie, and that a limited run tobacco waxed Alden LWB were the barries I recently bought. My bad for any confusion, not meant to be implied, I was going off what I remembered, but I have quite a few different pairs at this point, who the fuck knows what I remember.

1 person likes this.
  10. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Senior member

So... I just won this, and I'm always a bit suspicious when it's too easy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the price worth the hassle of buying. Anyone can help with whether it's authentic?

11. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Huh as in you didn't know or you don't understand....?

Also I don't know where you got Cigar Cordovan 1000 miles, I know they offer a #8 limited run although it is a seasonal carry over item, just limited per season. But I think the slight differentials between the different ones, and the costs of making them and all that, it just was not good business. Not to maximize profits. Making so many different types of Cordovan is such an insane resource suck, from work hours to employees on the floor, to simply acquiring all that premium fatty horse ass. The prices were higher due to the various forms of tanning and the 6 months+ of work needed just to finish a single hide. All that to just have them sit cuz people can't afford $950 for boots, well it just stopped being sensical I believe.

12. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

got a crazy JITROIS blouson

anyone know when it's made and the MSRP ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

My apologies, I've been out of the loop for a I guess about a couple months or so by now. Is this just some newly implemented challenge for the forum to try and accomplish? 5 pieces of Trump clothing in a single shot? And a Van Heusen garment with a royal warrant? Jesus who came up with this list. I don't think I've seen 5 trump things at one stop ever.

14. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Lanvin Boutique was the name of Lanvin's first RTW line for Men that was not licensed, but made in house. That looks 100% good to go, stellar grab.

2 people like this.
  15. dad2bandm

dad2bandm Senior member

Unfortunately it looks like it was at Value Village for a reason. It doesn't work. I couldn't test it there (no power adaptor), but tested at home. The motor works on its own with direct power, but the settings switch and rest of it seem dead. Oh well.

Once you look inside too where the motor was, it's clear this was a piece of crap winder. Everything glued.

I hate it when people donate their garbage.

16. Pronto Merona

Pronto Merona Member

Hey folks - been pretty consistently thrifting for a couple months and wanted to say thanks to everybody in this thread for the knowledge you've dropped on a lurker. I've learned too much to recount from the thread - from thrift/discount stores i've learned a few things:
    1) Whoever the hell Pronto Uomo is must be responsible for 50% of the world's fabric purchases each year. That stuff is everywhere.
    2) Some T.J. Maxx stores have way nicer merchandise than I ever expected. Saw a Kiton shirt there last week.
    3) I was never into paying retail for clothing, now the idea of paying retail for clothing makes me ill.

One recent find:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21 people like this.
  17. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Senior member

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  18. Canyon

Canyon Well-Known Member

Failed the scavenger hunt, I guess. Found a few things.

Nicole Miller tie
    [​IMG]

actually owned this model at one point.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two trump tailored pieces, but different stores...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Senior member

Some IRL thrifting this weekend too

CK Collection sport coat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More
    Ford racing sweatshirt... Reverse Weave too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brioni suit reunited
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vintage Nike
    [​IMG]

Down GANT made in China, but invertere?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Misternic cashmere full zip
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A kid rock concert shirt like this
    [​IMG]

Some marmot, gore-tex and down
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Isaia pants
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Let's play a quick game of 'Guess the Maker':

Note the pattern matching on pocket flaps
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

again, pattern matching
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got your guesses in? Click the spoiler to reveal the answer.

[​IMG]

Also, can I get some help with the content of this sport coat?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    4 people like this.