1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Here's a sort of long and circuitous story, so next time you're on the crapper and want to read something, this might fit the bill:

Several months ago I bought a Zegna Icon jacket. It's got Bluetooth connectivity to your phone, and once paired you can control your phone via soft buttons on the sleeve.
    Released in 2013, it was about $1300 retail.

Review.

And an unsettling video with odd over-dubbing:

[​IMG]

...but the controller was dead. I knew why - the resale shop I bought it from launders / dry cleans everything, and I'm sure they had no idea the controller was in the pocket. Paid up a bit for it - this shop sees a "Zegna" tag and it's gonna be $50 and up, no matter what. Sometimes it's on an old beat to hell orphan suit coat, other times something worth picking up.

So after Googling like mad, I can only find reference to the company that made the module, but no web site. Apparently the company was sold. I find the name of the founder, and look him up on Facebook. Sent him a message saying I needed a new controller for this jacket.

Weeks went by. Then - I get a message from a guy at Zegna in Italy (head of product development or something). Looking at the email thread, my message had gotten bounced around the world several times before this gentleman from Zegna asked "How may I help you?"
    Amazing.

He asked for several photos, and confirmed he knew the part I needed. He needed to check with someone else to track it down. More time goes by. He needs more info, I reply. And so on - I think at this point it was around 20 emails back and forth. He finds the part, but learns that, since it contains a Lithium Ion battery, they cannot ship it (from Italy) - something about at least one plane crash being blamed on these batteries.

BUT - he says the company is having a few guys sent to training on the proper packing and shipping of these batteries / devices that contain them. It would take some weeks.
    More amazing.

Another email - the guys have completed the training and they have shipped the module.

Couple more weeks: email saying they had improperly labeled it, and the package was returned. But they will resend it.

Couple more weeks: TODAY I GOT A PACKAGE WITH THE NEW CONTROL MODULE.

Talk about the most insanely spectacular customer service.

I recently had a challenging customer on eBay (many thanks to @Sartoriamo for the help), and after I had exhausted all options I finally told him to return the item for a refund or keep it and live with it...basically I could not make him happy so I pulled the "like it or leave it" card...but these Zegna guys, that was not an option - they wanted to, and did, find a way to resolve the issue.

I originally intended to flip the jacket, but no way now - it fits, it's a crazy nice jacket, and I can look all Secret Service-like talking into my collar (it has a microphone in the collar).
    "Just waiting for the Senator."

31 people like this.
  2. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I didnt say it was to sustain a meaninigful, longterm relationship, just to get a job taken care of.
    As long as you tell them there not the fattest girl in the room, according to that book your in....oh and you also gotta wear shit like when Jerry turns the Suede Jacket inside out too, but on purpose, cuz looking like an idiot and backhanded shit compliments as an opener, is how some 27 year old lost his virginity and then got a book deal. The book is absolutely horrific, a trainwreck much like the show, but the show trainwreck was one of those u couldn't look away from. Dennis system is a literal how to to totally destroying a girls entire psyche and identity, it's fucked which makes it so perfect for the character, but if your into ruining lives, identities, and breaking down psyches, well you're a sociopath which I mean you are what you are, be proud, have a ball....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  3. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

4. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

In case your wondering, Allen Edmonds calls the leather Dark Brown Crackle.

2 people like this.
  5. vexco

vexco Senior member

Yeah I found that out after I got home. Thanks! Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing other shoes of theirs in this style.

6. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

The problem is it starts to look awfully rough when it starts to crease/wear. On the monk straps, the part that slides in the buckle gets beat to shit. They only made a few styles in it. The Pine River, McTavish and a loafer (can't remember the name). There may have been one or two more, but those I know for sure.

But they are neat.

7. Lucan

Lucan Senior member

x-post from the Heel pattern thread:

I seem to remember this techique of nailing in the ruts of the heel on a Commando-type sole was specific to a maker, but can't find it now, can someone assist?

[​IMG]

8. vexco

vexco Senior member

I won't complain at thrift prices. Luckily these don't seem to be worn very much.

9. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Remember that $300 AE gift card they sent me and i put up for grabs a while back? Well apprently a simple CR call and complaint about damage due to faulty products kinda results in free shit. Now I found this out by change are flippping some MacNeils, missing minor damage so accepting a full return. The guy then messaged me a day or two later to ship them back to him. I had already refuned, i inquired and he literally told me exactly what he did and thats call AE discuss the defect iin which they got back to him by telling him to send them in and they would more than likely simply replace them with a new pair or a gift card whichever he preferred, so he demanded again to send them back. I politely said thanks, for him to suck it, and peace (Don't leave me feedback before you even get home to open your package lesson learned I guess). The rest is history, and do I feel I did anything wrong here? Why the hell would I? I barely played and won big. I advise you take a turn at the plate as well if a problem is developing or is obvious.

10. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Certainly not. But I think that was one of the reasons they don't make anything in that leather anymore.

11. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

1 person likes this.
  12. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

I've checked out a couple of different guides and I think they're good, but you're right. The differences are subtle and the fakes are very good.

13. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

[​IMG]
    Thanks bruh.

glad you appreciate the wordplay.

14. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

That video is pretty amazing.

15. Thrift Vader

@Jompso yeah, we boxing in the same division. but you and me? from a whole different position. you are straight up west side, but me? i'm straight east side. matter of fact, the far east, hold my head high, walk with the steez, i'm a beast. what you see on here? is me in the least. I'm Vader, swag overlord, Thrift procrastinator. my Thrift be great, but my aura be greater.
    we are oceans apart, but we both got the knowledge, street smarts, - that shit you don't learn in college.
    so here's a new thing, wanna talk hype with me in that god honest dialogue? best rhyme when you type, because i ain't got time to fux with the whole damn catalog.
    lol, let me get back on point , like.....dadadadadaa."........" [​IMG]
    bruh, do you feel me? i feel you. truth is. not many can do like we do. we make money our own way, and we like what we do. yeah, we are kings, but on other sides of the earth, and i don't give a fuck what an item is worth.
    Denim needs an intervention, dat laser incision, to make streetwear great again. is my mission. this shit ain't a preminission. shit be hot, it is, or it isn't. return to the swag. like you remembered, but different. .

you got the records,you kopped. but dress like the trends of the present.
    more streetwear than me? make it pop like you represent.

[​IMG]

I am trying to engage in fruitful conversation.time to bury the hatchet, create shit.

1 person likes this.
  16. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  17. concealed

concealed Senior member

tell that to @impuntura

1 person likes this.
  18. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Boys is this a men's or women's .Can be buttoned on both sides .Has a cinch in back and belt is fixed position on left

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  19. Thrift Vader

20. impuntura

impuntura Senior member