1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Brown label back in 2001-2003? You sure about that? Since browns been around for little over a year now in thrifts I'd hypothesize retail release date was probably 2012-2013....then they stopped? And your not referencing the 1934 line right?

2. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Church's regular width shoes start at F unlike the majority of English manufactures who start at E. This is from their website:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. leisurewear

leisurewear Senior member

Thanks for the info!

4. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

1934 line is the silver with curly 'C' that was released in 2013 and took over for the brown line.

Latest label 2013:
    [​IMG]

Brown label 200? - 2013:
    [​IMG]

Blue label 199?-200?:
    [​IMG]

Black label Oldest no idea of dates since I don't pick it up:

[​IMG]

5. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Lastly 9 pocket carpenter jeans are an oxymoron, it sounds like you want flannel lined carpenter pants for winter. You judge Iron Heart on the fact that the market for this doesn't exist, hence the lack of production.

Carpenter pants can have a million pockets but they are jeans......but dude, "Kimono inspired inner lining to below the knees?" That's a mandatory prereq? And what you doing on your knees that you need reinforced 21 ounce denim?

However the most important think I really wanted to touch on here, is you denounce unsanforized denim yet make the claim you "want them to be the same every time you put them on" ......gotta choose one or the other man.

And I;m not measuring dicks with you here John Holmes, but we can go tit for tat as far as different types and companies and styles I've ran through. I just don't understand how you can take a tone like your the resident Denim God and then make requests for "Jeans" that are 9 pocket carpenter pants and don't realize unsanforized denim is the denim that retains it's shape always and unsaforized is the one that gets fucked. People have their preferences, just share yours, imposing them is a bad look especially when they are wildly misguided. All I share is prefaced as opinion cuz I wouldn't claim to be more knowledgeable than others cuz peoples opinions and desires differ. Like what seem to like and what I would wear are literally night and day.....does this make one of us right or wrong?

6. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

No shit? This whole time I've been under the impression that Brown label was baseline and 1934 was their newly introduced premium quality offerings. I've never been a huge Canali guy, hence me being misinformed. Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a source for this so I can school myself?

7. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

You are quiete familiar with me geographic location, I believe we;ve even happened to run into each other a dozen or so times haha.....Now I don't have a prolonged stay in Texas so what I say may not capture the entirity but I was there for a solid week as I watched Hurricane Katrina demolish my school from my Hotel room Freshman year and got out everyday just to explore. Now I preface this with the fact that I was in houston so I did the dillligence of searching the comparisons of the two. 1. Culture shock like a mothafu***, as in in Sundays the place is a ghost town. No businesses are open or restaurants or anything, because literally the entire city is in church. When I experienced this I thought I was in 28 days later, it was absolutely surreal. 2. It's the furthest from LA in all other ways also. Your going from here to a town that values proper values and principles and moral upringbings and religious schooling and all those proper type things, this shit sounds like a good thing and Im sure its great for the families, as an outsider from here its really fucking weird. Mexican you can get, it's everything else your fucked on. Your hometeam is the Spurs. By the sounds of what I;m reading, Houston is viewed as the fair more progressive and happening nightlife type city of the two, by a long shot. I literally have no clue what SA must look like. Get a weekly rate, take a week off work and visit. Make sure you experience an entire Sunday, get the full expereince. Thats the only way you will ever know your ready or not.....me? No shot, ever.

Are you talking about the Mariscos Food Truck in Venice? That shit was my hangover cure every sunday morning for like 3 straight years

1 person likes this.
  8. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

I quite enjoy this level of dialogue. so let me insert a Disclaimer..
    *Disclaimer* -all opinions expressed are personal opinion.

Jompso, you got knowledge. plenty of it.

but as you said yourself, it all started for you around 2001. Dude, you missed out on sooooo much SW&D goodness. 91-2000 was the golden age. i came into the frame around 96.
    i'm tellin' ya. 9 pocket jeans are a thing, as are Denim Cargo's with stash pockets. Worn with Timberlands and a Nautica Reversible. Or the duck Canvas, With Reebok Pumps,T-Shirt and Satin Starter. it was a different time. . . . But the things that are hot right now, like the Polo, Nautica, Starter, and vintage kicks? All represent the era i'm from.

Jeans are more than one cut. or style. what you refer to as "Jeans" are one style that started it all. wanna be Trad? have at it. Imma wear the modern day equivalent.the 5 pocket might be the orig. but it sure isn't "better", from the standpoint of what Jeans ARE. again. imho.

Think to yourself, where does Streetwear come from? Industrial folks, with blue collar jobs. having similar fit clothes. only much nicer. what works day in, day out. but is FRESH. for when you off the clock. and representin'.maybe even fresh enough for that girl they been trying to impress. not rich, but so fresh and so clean. Jeans evolved to fit them. and their needs.

After i came to Japan, i was like "Must have all the denimz!!" same as every gaijin to hit shore must buy a Skyline. which i also did.[​IMG] amassed a collection of jeans. rockin the jeans and the whip that makes dreamers jealous. but after being immersed in the pseudo Japanese/American olden days fits. i just said "fuck this, this isn't me". I wear my jeans wide, my crotch low, my Jacket puffy, my cap backwards. and my shoes comfortable.

CM put me off my game. yeah, i can do it. but it's a thing that can't be forced. I have had enough of being told how to dress, and what's in fashion. Because my Swag comes from the heart, it's part of my fabric. and right now? it's what's coming up hot.

Ironheart? as said, i had them. will not again. unless they get with the game. another member suggested i hit them up for work. not my idea. i made my own path. and now am hittin the spot where the money's at. no hate, when they make the right Jeans, i'll buy them. fitpic 'em. one day real soon, the skinny jean, live for the fit fad will expire. they will know how to adapt.

you and me we aren't so different. but we are from different era's. you and me be like Eminem vs The Beastie Boys.- Whiteboys who rumble. But not the same. a generation apart.

imma leave this, just to show what era i'm revisiting.
    Me
    [​IMG]

You
    [​IMG]
    @noob in 89 ,and
    @double00 know exactly what i'm talking about.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  9. rhz5001

rhz5001 Senior member

Quote: YES [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It is so good I don't even mind the homeless person latrine stink surrounding it. I dig the truck that parks near the Salval too. In front, not the one that parks on the side street.

10. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Easy fix for these pulls?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Hope you all haven't missed me. I was pretty burnt out on thrifting and SF, so I took off most of January.

Some of these might be duplicates from the last time I posted a haul. The few times I have been out:

Paul Stuart wool/silk ties x 2.
    [​IMG]

Barbour. 42
    [​IMG]

LL Bean Norwegian. Large.
    [​IMG]

Patagonia Synchilla vest for me.
    [​IMG]

Ghurka key wallet.
    [​IMG]

Alden x 2 (one shell).
    [​IMG][​IMG]

NWOB Sebago MiUSA campsides in a green/grey/brown for me. These have been getting a lot of wear.
    [​IMG]

Brioni shirt. 15.5
    [​IMG]

NWT Brioni socks x 3. All OTC. One is 100% silk, the other two are an 80/20 wool/poly blend.
    [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  12. Principle

Principle Senior member

Met a guy working the MTM section of Brooks Brothers at a Super Bowl thing last night. Spoke a little about clothes, he didn't seem like the right person to confide my hobby in as he bragged about his cashmere scarf, etc. But he had some amusing insights into the regulars who frequently purchased ten suits at once!

That being said, does anyone else here keep their hobby clandestine? Or at least dumb down their knowledge of clothing in passing conversation?

1 person likes this.
  13. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

Kei is the premium quality stuff, as far as I'm aware. Handled some of it in a Nordstrom Rack and it feels insanely nice.

1 person likes this.
  14. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Nope, that is mainly just anecdotal evidence gathered from here and AAAC. That is just a rough estimate based on feedback on this and the old thread. There have been other lines by Canali, but these are the mainline labels.

There is the "Executive Collection" Blue label which used nicer fabrics, there was the Proposta line which is their lower end offering. Then as @dukedishin stated there is their Kei line which I am not sure is a higher line but more of a unstructured type with patch pockets. I am sure I am missing one or two as well.

15. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

So I was looking for something on the old thread and came across this post by you from 5 years ago defending Naked & Famous. Damn, its almost seems to me you are ashamed of your jeans man. Looking for validation because you wear novelty items [​IMG] (I am messing with you here.)

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. Shanejosephxxx

Shanejosephxxx Senior member

I usually keep quiet about it. Was in a thrift Saturday evening and a dude started talking to me by the ties. Asked me a million questions about thrifting and then about my life which was odd. I just said I like "vintage stuff" and then said I had to leave. In a thrift you'll definitely come across odd people so part of me thinks he just wanted to talk to someone but once he asked "what do you want to do with your life" I was done hah.

17. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

First, good, I like open dialogue, it always sucks when someone takes something the wrong way and it turns into a back and forth. Second, I didn't mention prior, but althought my Selvedge days started in 2001, my street wear days go way back to '98. Streetwear as in WTaps (my personal favorite then), Visvim, Neighborhood etc...that said we are from two different leagues of street wear my friend. I never rocked that heavy logo'd sportswear stuff ever, I personally found it to be extremely tacky. Now if you want me to go on in a history lesson about that age of street fashion? I can go for days because of me dedication to hip hop history and culture.

And yes of course jeans are many different cuts, I mean obviously the most purchased and most replicated is the probably the '54 (mid century 501 eitherway) needless to say, however that model alone goes back to the turn of the century.

Sounds like your going for the Mid 90s New York Rapper look, just watch some old mobb and Nas videos and your have shit to work with for weeks....

And as long as high fashion makes streetwear the skinny jean isn't going anywhere. People like their denim fitted these days, baggy looks sloppy. I mean I just copped some flat heads that are fairly fitted and tapered and my mom outta nowhere told me they look horrible and huge just cuz, as I'm sure you know, all FHs are 39 inches presoak 36.5 post, and I need a 32 chainstitch. I'm not saying she knows her shitor anthing, but if my moms on me about how my denim fits the first day dry? It says something about the current state of the industry and the demand for the product.

And honestly Iron Heart is acquired and not for everyone, I'll be the first to admit that, I just couldn't understand how your were discredting them as manufacturers when a sub par product is not something they ever bring to the table. However a product that just isn't your steez? I get that.

And dude, if your postin LLs Phenomenom video, my only response is second best LL track behind that Boys 2 Men banger - Hey Lover. (and yes I do have '86 Radio, so I know LL)...I don't know your age, but I honestly don't think were very far apart and I got immersed at an early age to this stuff and have been studying it for over a decade now. I mean I started shopping at Union, the first licensed Visvim, WTaps, and NBHD distributor in the states in 6th grade, same with 'Preme. I know street wear history on that level perhaps as much as anything else. I mean you're assuming naivety due to an age I think you believe I am, regardless, I am positive if you tried to test knowledge you'd see we're peers not and old head speaking to a new comer, cuz I can assure you my friend, that ain't me......but if you wanna be Beastie Boys thats cool with me, I'll take Em over them all day.

I'm lost with the Stiller photo though, please explain cuz he sucks.

EDIT: Shit sorry I haven't seen that video in like a decade totally didn't recognize it......."Don't worry if i write Rhymes, I write Checks.".......however if your inferring our gap is that spread, you are extremely incorrect.

18. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Well I mean I've thrifted all of thei liens across the board 10 fold. I just gave a Kei jacket to a fellow thread member. I've thrifted a few 150s executive collection brown label suits, not 1934 though, and I've never peeped ask andy. And you are not missing any. that's it. Canali Proposta was the diffusion although the quality I barely noticed a difference from blue label stuff. Never picked it up though. 1934 makes a Kei Line and an Executive Collection line.currently. And your assumption is correct, the Kei line is and and always has been an (Not a diffusion cuz it doesn't lack in quality), more like the equivalent to the Zegna White Label "Street Line." Slightly more contemporary cut, slightly cropped length, quality still top of the line. Usually double sided and quarter lined. Fabric quality and color complexity with that line though is what makes it special. The garments are gorgeous.

1 person likes this.
  19. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I specifically go to Barneys sometimes to talk to the reps of the different lines to get school to details. Talked to the Kiton guy for like 45 minutes last time about his Barneys paid for trip to the Kiton factory in Italy where he got to over look the entire companies work force actually at work, also watched their tie maker take a sheet of silk and with nothing but his bair hands fold a perfect 7 fold, stitched a tack and handed it to him....When I'm stressed or need to clear my head, 5th floor Barneys is like my Zen spot or whtever the hell

EDIT: If your ever in a situation when for whatever reason, you don't think disucssing thrifting for profit is appropriate or do well by you, say your a person shopper and Hired stylist. Also you soulda thank the guy for pushing all those high school grad suits that get donated a year later and you can flip for over 2 bills. Then tell him that the avg customer at Bijan drops 100K a visit. School the dudes with big heads and they respect you and talk to you as an equal not someone they can impress.

2 people like this.
  20. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Two modest weekend pickups.

Loro Piana Cashmere Roadster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vintage Robert Long "George" table lamp. Current retail starts at $1450.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30 people like this.