1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

The tractor wasn't the neighbors', but a bunch of us were out having a good old-fashioned dirt clod fight (was there a better way to spend a Saturday circa 1988?) in the field behind our house. The were widening the street at that point, so there was all sorts of construction equipment around. We got a bit carried away, and next thing you know, I'd thrown a concrete clod through the Caterpillar's windshield. Wouldn't you know it, though? My mom witnessed the whole thing as she'd just popped her head over the fence to call us in for dinner.

I'm pretty sure she even reported it to the construction company. They laughed it off, but she certainly didn't!

1 person likes this.
  3. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Senior member

Peepholes, unfortunately not in great condition but works for me, Bernardo model. The Bridge bag
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

Are you shitting me, England?! :brick:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  5. tmethecat

tmethecat Active Member

Thanks to you (and all) for the welcomes and whatnot. A fine group here, that's something worth saying again and again.

1 person likes this.
  6. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Agreed.

you guys, and a few others totally understand my question. while browsing the offerings in small sizes at a local sports store. the new Hyperdunks were surprisingly awesome. as were the offerings in the Tokyo Nike factory outlet. - Kobe's, Lebron's,air Max's, various interpretations of Jordan's. all bold, perhaps even outrageous, and above all. . comfortable.
    leads me to the train of thought. . . . .
    Are sneaks as good as they have ever been? am i foolish for being caught up in nostalgia to the point where i can't see the swag placed before me?

A recent change in vocation has prompted these questions. where i need to rethink my style, and my demeanor.

But how do i project myself as something other than a tough guy? Regaining my youth seems a good place to start. A time when all i had was dreams, and optimism. reliving my fondest memories. carrying them with me. as i walk into the next chapter of life. wearing my long forgotten joy as both an armor, and a uniform. hopefully a warmed heart could warm the hearts of those around me. inspiring confidence, in place of trepidation.
    - I relinquish my ambition as an accomplished and ruthless Engineer. to put food on the table.
    from this day forward, I become an English Teacher.[​IMG]
    Both a bitter pill to swallow, and a new challenge.
    So please bear with me, you are going to see a more joyous @Thrift Vader . represented in the clothing that illustrates my shift in personal image. with fit pics, so you guys can help me grow.

Thanks thread peeps, you have been so accommodating thus far. with @omissa and others helping this metamorphosis. you guys, all of you. inspire me.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    6 people like this.
  7. Purplelabel

@Thrift Vader You're the man.

I love new sneakers, don't get me wrong; the new Nike flyknit joints are crazy comfy and nice. So is boost technology, but something draws me back to old sneaks.

..maybe not just 90s, but other decades; like the cortez, vans old schools, sk8 hi's and eras, adidas gazelles and stan smiths. I'm just not big a fan of the new low profile, no meat on the bone shoes.

1 person likes this.
  8. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

At least they didn't mark them up in price trying to sell them as legit belts to an unsuspecting victim.

1 person likes this.
  9. Thrift Vader

i get what you are saying. and had the same opinion. but then kopped the "Spike forty's". amongst the plethora of "sock shoes" out there. i challenge you to walk into a foot locker. and ask for some meaty swag shoes.
    actually VERY interested to see what happens.

[​IMG]

10. Purplelabel

Nawww they won't even if they were real! Ted Baker is marked up, and cashmere Zegna is not. I love it... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Purplelabel

You can try... our footlockers are full of GR's and basic shoes. No heat or swag shoes.

1 person likes this.
  12. Thrift Vader

[​IMG]
    challenge accepted.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Is Andre Agassi wearing multi-colored Raf sneaks today?

14. Nickd

Nickd Senior member

Home Counties thrifting, you get the clothes from the City boys, but pricing done by old dears from Tunbridge Wells.

15. Purplelabel

Tunbridge Wells; home where the heart is.
    My favorite place on earth.

16. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Thrifting oddness this morning.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. Purplelabel

What are they?

18. double00

double00 Senior member

roller skis?

1 person likes this.
  19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Yes, and apparently rather expensive new.

1 person likes this.
  20. Nickd

Nickd Senior member

'Tis where my sister lives, and not far from my parents. I'm from near Maidstone, but they've all moved west a bit and I've moved way North.