1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

For many things that are fashion and/or trendy, it's honestly a healthy dose of "Je ne sais quoi" or, borrowing from Justice Sewart. you know it when you see it. It's a delicate thing that many miss. What makes this shade of blue perfect for a job interview and this blue too flashy? It's also why label-hunters in any particular field will always be limited. If I don't care enough to enjoy and learn about vintage kitchen plates, I'll inevitably play the guessing game or just leave things behind.

Generally speaking, brand makes a difference and conservative colors and widths are still in demand. Some will never wear "loud," "whimsical," or otherwise attention-seeking ties, and those tend to be the ties that change most drastically every decade.

One constant is that the guy in the office that wears cartoon-inspired ties will always wear ugly ties. He really doesn't care about wearing a tie and it shows.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  2. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Saturday
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SuSu
    [​IMG]
    Any hide help on these amazing Church's?
    [​IMG]
    Finally, the new label. Pants only.
    [​IMG]
    Hoping for some vintage heat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uni down tweed vest
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nice coat, looks like I have my own wonky Polo label, besides it being upside down.
    [​IMG]
    Vestimenta, Kit and Ace
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I don't think this is the Saint James I was thinking, need more research.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2 Uuge L.L. bean rolling duffles
    [​IMG]
    hardwear packable M
    [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

25 cent tie store strikes again!

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  4. CWOyaji

CWOyaji Well-Known Member

Another grail, in "Greenery" at a true thrift price...

This is the first Cuccinelli garment I've seen in the wild that actually fit me. Not sure a full zip cotton sweater qualifies as a grail, but I'm hoping that as long as I keep finding things from brands like this in mint condition in the Pantone 2017 Color of the Year, "Greenery", my luck will hold. So please humor me while I engage in some magical thinking, it's working for me so far this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20 people like this.
  5. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Well-Known Member

First of all, thanks for the Heinlein reference. Made me chuckle.

There are probably as many perspectives on this as there are people on the thread, but there are technical and idiosyncratic elements to the subject. The technical ones are for the most part width, style, fabric and pattern. A 3-3.5" silk tie in a solid or conservative pattern is universally acceptable in business settings, while anything else may or may not be. Idiosyncratic elements can be literally anything: loud colors or patterns a la Vitaliano Pancaldi, "themed" ties like the ones whose patterns are abstracted booze molecules, or those with images of animals, golfers, college or corporate emblems, or any other item you can imagine. These are usually attempts to express "personality".

Certain seasons may provoke experiments with tweed, wool, knitted, cashmere or other ties, many of which are available from tier 1 brands. Plus a lot of people really like VV and Polo ties, and their ilk.

Preferences in the technical area can vary with the wearer's age and the cycle of "fashion". Right now, most professionals wear ties that are 3-3.5" wide, but a large number of younger professionals are wearing much narrower ties. The former will not likely change, while the latter will. This is largely a function of style vs. fashion. I'm sure there are enormous screeds written by many of the more erudite members of SF on this very subject. Some men wear only "repp" ties for a trad look, while others (DJT, for example) wear only solids.

However, I'd say that the best, simplest, easiest way to get a handle on what's worth picking up is to look through some of the tie displays at NM or Saks. Look for Charvet, Hermes (of course) and a few other of those tier 1 brands, and you'll quickly get a handle on what they have in common. Rich, thick silk with a small geometric or paisley pattern are the most "universal". My brother (an attorney) and I have slightly different perspectives, in that what's just too muted for me will be too loud for him, and vice versa.

Since this is the thrift thread, I'm guessing you're trying to navigate through the wall of mostly ancient, undesirable ties at thrifts. Very close to 100% of those are not worth picking up, and we all have our own techniques for quickly sorting. (e.g. anything that looks like old, leafy wallpaper, you can leave). Some start with grabbing a handful and quickly flipping through each label. I used to do that, but now I principally look for patterns and silk quality. One "rule" I've found almost universally true, is that where there's one, there's more, since most donors drop a bunch all at once. If you find one Hermes at a thrift, there are usually more (I once pulled 15 off the same rack at a GW that had previously been a bust). So my otherwise swift cadence in the tie section will slow the moment I find something worthwhile.

Flip talk:
    If you're a flipper, the easiest to sell are recent, conservative patterns by premium houses in (not too) bright but subtle shades, or similarly muted tones. Oh, and the really bonkers-loud Pancaldis sell like hot cakes. Ties by Hermes, Charvet, Drakes, Kiton, Bizzochi and others always sell, with pricing directly proportional to how contemporary they are. Older, thinner ones by these brands do less well. Dated Ferragamo, Zegna, and a dozen others will eventually sell for peanuts, after which you have already eaten up any margin on relisting fees, so you must resist, resist.

Mars/Venus talk:
    For most of the guys on this thread, I'm sure your comment about "mystery" applies in equal or greater measure to the male mind's complete bafflement about the opaque, fickle nature of women's clothing. I'd bet my bottom dollar that most guys on here have tried to sell some women's stuff (sportswear excluded) and ended up saying "not gonna try THAT again . . ." :)

2 people like this.
  6. Principle

Principle Senior member

Sulka also has tie heat.

7. eazye

eazye Senior member

Yes! I love it when new members read all the way through both threads! What a crazy ride, not only through the world of thrifting, but of life in general. Welcome Tommy!

2 people like this.
  8. double00

double00 Senior member

the thing is that 90s sneakers are great in their way - there's something about the 'kitchen sink' design philosophy where you've got 8 different materials and colors involved... check out the air trainers on McEnroe:

[​IMG]

plus think about the rest of the shit people were wearing in those days: baggy-as-hell washed jeans and oversize tees (hey, remember when guys used to wear shorts?!), cargos, etc etc. you needed chunky, complicated sneaks to balance out the ensemble.

it's all of a time and place and it's all good imo.

3 people like this.
  9. Kazoo

Kazoo Senior member

Can someone confirm grenadine? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Yep

2 people like this.
  11. varietygoods

varietygoods Well-Known Member

Is this the Sierra designs I'm looking for?[​IMG]

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Pop on anything Eidos. These suede loafers seem sweet.

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

christian kimber collab, nice.

1 person likes this.
  14. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Even as a straight guy . . . the sneakers ain't what I'm checking out in that picture. I gotta get some gams like those

1 person likes this.
  15. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

Ummm....no. I do have one of those Dunlop rackets to flip though

16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

off topic, did any of you guys get an Amazon Echo? This alexa shit is pretty damn awesome. My kid is flying around the room on her hoverboard, giving alexa commands, while messing around on her iPad. Its a good time to be a 7 year old, thats for damn sure.

3 people like this.
  17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Another pop.

[​IMG]

And I'm sure these are someone's grail. PRL Olympic team shoes.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  18. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

No

19. HansderHund

I did and embarrassingly haven't set it up yet. I've always dreamt of a Back to the Future** house. If you remember it, there are quite a few things in it that are now available. It's a good time to be alive.

**It's my favorite trilogy and I jump whenever someone posts a Marty McFly vest. Seriously, anyone ever gets me in the gift exchange, THAT is what I want.

Then again, I get a huge kick out of the fact that my phone tells me where I parked my car without even asking.

20. HansderHund

What size do you have on those by chance, Fueco?