1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Nope but definitely NWOB

2. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Also,my rebuttal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

There's so much winning on this thread that I'm tired of winning.

Not much time to post lately though. I did kop this Celine pocket square/hanky thing for under a buck. The edges don't look hand-stitched, but the printing looks very good. Any bets on the authenticity?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Senior member

dadjeans That Invertere jacket is beautiful!

From this morning. I'll start with another piece added to my growing collection of woolen garments (which is completely illogical given that where I live the avg year round temp is 25C/77F)

Vintage Woolrich Mackinaw, with a couple of small moth holes at the hem. Otherwise in excellent shape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For Fueco; looks more hippie park rangers kicked the bucket south of Mexico ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For SpooPoker It doesn't have a bear on it, sadly. But I still thought it was fun ...

[​IMG]

• [​IMG]

Ties (think I'm getting better at this; I can now spot the Van Huesens and Staffords a mile away)

[​IMG]

If I'm reading completed listings correctly, it's the geometrics from Fredricks that are the good ones, is that right?

[​IMG]

I believe I've found the locale that was stocking the decent to good jackets and sport coats. This one had no tags except what was in the pocket. Thought it was cool (for personal use)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At least I'm starting to find Zegna fabric .... Orphans unfortunately

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whoever owned these had the shortest arms ever. Luckily, there's no wear at the cuffs and he left enough fabric for the sleeves to lengthened by 1.5" to 2".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy to find the label; sad they're orphans (unless the first one could be used as a stand alone blazer). Both are in excellent shape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the best!

10 people like this.
  5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I never would have thought that there would be better thrifting in Central America than in some metropolitan cities in the US. Very proud of you John! Charvet is a beaut. And Burberry is made by Belvest.

2 people like this.
  6. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

South America ...road trip!

2 people like this.
  7. leisurewear

leisurewear Senior member

@JohnAAG for the samuelsohns, although the first one screams orphan the tag suggests it's a standalone jacket (perhaps the buttons were replaced somewhere along the line with not the best choice of button color?). If you look at the size, your first one says "43" while the second one says "42-36". For all the sammys i've found suit jacket tags will always have the pant size labeled like the second one while standalone jackets look like the first. This rule doesn't apply to Canali where "pant sizes" are listed for both suits and sport coats ( jacket size - the drop in this case)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Anyone see the Louis Vuitton x Supreme collabs?

9. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

Is anyone near Panama city Florida? I have a seller only offringe local pick up on some shoes.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sickness

11. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

with all due respect to Cambodia and United Arab Emirates, I wish EBAY had a realistic list of countries
    when Im posting my suits on Ebay! :happy:

ain't it so fellas?

12. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Senior member

Thanks Spoo! Honestly, I just listened to and learned from you guys and went at it (preempetive TWSS).

Thanks for the insight, leisurewear!

You guys are welcome here anytime. Could be a pitstop on your way to the vicuna factory

Cheers!

3 people like this.
  13. SpooPoker

Im torn. I have an opportunity to buy 300 NWT suits, about 90% Canali and Zegna. The rest Boss/Armani and similar. Theyre about 10 years old. All sight unseen, working off a manifest, I just see two button/pleated and three button/pleated. PPU $60.

WWYD?

2 people like this.
  14. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Do it, 100 decent ones will fetch $200 and you're good with 200 still there.

15. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

^^ So with Ebay fees and tax, break even's about $100? ^^

Yikes

16. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I'll never get over seeing a skeet in the wild.

17. SpooPoker

Ill never get over macho grande.

2 people like this.
  18. vexco

vexco Senior member

Buy.

Or proxy :p

19. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

The Hypebeasts will flock...

20. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Senior member

Howie was a rock!

Edit to add about the suits: with any sunk investment with staged (and somewhat risky) ROI, I ask myself two questions. How will it impact cashflow and what else could I be doing with the money?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017